Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Ken Scott
George Harrison finished work on Not Guilty during this session. Despite it spanning four separate recording sessions, the song was left off the White Album and remained unreleased until 1996's Anthology 3.
Eventually he decided to record the vocals in the studio control room, with the backing track playing live through the monitor speakers, just as he had done with the guitar overdub on 9 August.
George had this idea that he wanted to do it in the control room with the speakers blasting, so that he got more of an on-stage feel. So we had to monitor through headphones, setting the monitor speakers at a level where he felt comfortable and it wouldn't completely blast out his vocal.
The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn
A mono mix was created before the session ended at 4.15am, although by the time stereo mixes for the White Album were made in October 1968, Not Guilty was evidently no longer a contender.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, Canada
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 1969: Mixing: Oh! Darling, Because, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono attend an Ossie Clark fashion show
- 1966: Live: International Amphitheatre, Chicago
- 1966: Press conference: Astor Tower Hotel, Chicago
- 1964: Radio: The Teen Scene
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Pete Best auditions for The Beatles
- 1960: Paul McCartney offers audition to mystery drummer
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.