Since The Beatles had an impending trip to play in Hamburg but no drummer, they held an audition for the vacant position at the Blue Angel, manager Allan Williams’ Liverpool club.
Pete Best had expressed an interest in joining the group the previous Saturday. As he was the only suitable drummer The Beatles knew, he was the only person auditioned and duly got the gig. They departed for Germany on 16 August 1960.
He was a good drummer, and when Hamburg came up he joined us. He was a very good-looking guy, and out of all the people in our group, the girls used to go for Pete.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, Canada
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 1969: Mixing: Oh! Darling, Because, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Not Guilty
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono attend an Ossie Clark fashion show
- 1966: Live: International Amphitheatre, Chicago
- 1966: Press conference: Astor Tower Hotel, Chicago
- 1964: Radio: The Teen Scene
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Paul McCartney offers audition to mystery drummer
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.