Two more dilrubas were overdubbed onto the 15 March recording. A session player, name unknown, was brought in for the performance.
The dilrubas were added onto track three of the four-track tape. The machine was running at 52½ cycles per second, rather than the usual 50, which slowed the pitch and tone upon replay.
A reduction mix was also made during this session, combining all the dilrubas onto track two and all other instruments onto track one. A mono mix for demo purposes was then made, to enable George Martin to score Within You Without You for strings.
Between 11pm and 12.30am in the control room of Studio One, tape operator Graham Kirkby held a playback of all the Sgt Pepper recordings to date for The Beatles.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul and Linda McCartney’s Ram to be reissued
- 1976: US album release: Wings At The Speed Of Sound by Wings
- 1971: US single release: Power To The People by John Lennon
- 1965: Travel: Austria to England
- 1965: US album release: The Early Beatles
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Doncaster
- 1963: UK album release: Please Please Me
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.