Prior to his concert at the Granada Cinema in Walthamstow, London, George Harrison and Ringo Starr met the singer Roy Orbison.
The Beatles had toured with Orbison in May 1963, and found their popularity quickly exceeded that of the American singer. The group admired Orbison greatly, and in the 1980s Harrison played with him in The Traveling Wilburys.
The Beatles themselves performed at the Granada Cinema during the Orbison tour on 24 May 1963, and on their own on 24 October 1964.
Last updated: 9 June 2020
Also on this day...
- 2018: Four Paul McCartney albums to get CD/vinyl reissues
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Sportpaleis, Antwerp, Belgium
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Jobing.com Arena, Glendale, Arizona
- 1967: Recording: Good Morning Good Morning, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- 1965: The Beatles’ final Thank Your Lucky Stars appearance
- 1964: Madame Tussauds unveils wax figures of The Beatles
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Exeter
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
Saw the Beatles in May 1963 when they were on the bill in Glasgow with Roy Orbison. They brought the house down. xx