This was The Beatles’ third rest day in Los Angeles. They were halfway through a five-day break in their 1965 tour of North America, staying in a mansion owned by actress Zsa Zsa Gabor at 2850 Benedict Canyon, Beverly Hills.
After the events of the previous day, in which the group took LSD with The Byrds and Peter Fonda, this was a day of rest. The Beatles had breakfast in the early afternoon, and spent much of the rest of the day sunbathing and swimming in the pool.
One brief moment of drama took place when two girls, who had hired a helicopter to fly over The Beatles’ rented home, jumped from it into the swimming pool. Brian Epstein complained to Los Angeles police, and a no-fly zone was ordered around the area.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording, editing: Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, The End
- 1967: The Beatles travel to Bangor
- 1966: Live: Coliseum, Seattle
- 1964: The Beatles meet Burt Lancaster and Jayne Mansfield
- 1963: Live: ABC Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Marine Hall Ballroom, Fleetwood
- 1961: Live: Riverboat Shuffle, MV Royal Iris, River Mersey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.