There were two shows on this night, with guest performers including Freddie And The Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated, Elkie Brooks, The Yardbirds, Michael Haslam, The Mike Cotton Sound and Ray Fell. The compère was Jimmy Savile.
The Beatles appeared in two sketches, one with Freddie Garrity of Freddie And The Dreamers, and another with Jimmy Savile. They closed the shows with an 11-song set: ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘I’m A Loser’, ‘Baby’s In Black’, ‘Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘Honey Don’t’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘She’s A Woman’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’, ‘Rock And Roll Music’ and ‘Long Tall Sally’.
Also on this day...
- 1970: Glyn Johns compiles the second Get Back album
- 1970: John Lennon and Yoko Ono give a press conference in Aalborg, Denmark
- 1967: Recording: Penny Lane, Carnival Of Light
- 1966: Recording: overdubs for The Beatles At Shea Stadium
- 1964: Radio: The Public Ear
- 1963: Live: Museum Hall, Bridge of Allan, Scotland
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.