This was The Beatles’ only appearance at this venue in Chester. They performed seven songs: ‘Some Other Guy’, ‘Thank You Girl’, ‘Do You Want To Know A Secret’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘You Really Got A Hold On Me’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ and ‘From Me To You’.
The performances of Some Other Guy and You Really Got A Hold On Me are notable as, while they had been part of The Beatles’ repertoire for some time, they had not yet been recorded, let alone released on the Please Please Me album.
You Really Got A Hold On Me was recorded, for With The Beatles later in 1963, but Some Other Guy was only taped for radio sessions. It is tempting to wonder whether the group was considering a studio version around this time.
The Royalty Theatre, which stood on Chester’s City Road, was demolished in 2001 and later replaced with a hotel.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Syco Entertainment to co-produce Brian Epstein biopic The Fifth Beatle
- 2011: Handwritten lyrics for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds sell for $200,000
- 1969: Radio: Paul McCartney is interviewed for BBC Radio Merseyside’s Light And Local
- 1967: Paul McCartney meets Linda Eastman
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Iron Door Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
My Dad Paul Kelly was actually on the bill that night and has many a Beatle’s tale to tell being that he was the Dj and The Compare at The Aintree institute in the early sixties. He also deputised as drummer for Rory Storm and the Hurricanes when Ringo left to join the Beatles. I do have a scan of the programe if I could upload it.