Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
A day in the life - Paul or John?
This topic is locked No permission to create posts
10 July 2010
12.13am
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

paulsbass said:

GASP! I've come up with the PERFECT solution! No, it's not mithvaen's. 

According to you, paulsbass, 

paulsbass said:

The dominant lead "aaaah" is without a doubt Paul, though it is totally buried in the "stereo remasters". 


This sounds like you have the original Pepper LP. If you send it to me, I SWEAR I will keep an open mind.

 

Don't rely on getting it back, though. 😉 

 

Yeah, that would be great.

No, it''s really profane. In the complete mix, stereo or mono, original or remaster, the "aaahs" are really buried in the mix, so it's not easy to identify Paul. All the reverb makes him sound like John. The backing vocals are totally inaudible.

In the vocal track, which you can hear on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....V6uDD6CRjs, the vocals are isolated and you can hear more clearly (still not clearly enough for some) that Paul is singing lead and John and probably George are doing backing vocals, one deep "uuu", one high falsetto "uuuh" and then "aaah", which is clearly (still not clearly enough for some) John.

 

I know I'm not making it easy for people to agree with me. It's also not so important, really, what everyone believes. The singer will be the same in any case. I just want respect for Paul. (and I admit I'm a bit desperate about so many people even on this board not being able to identify him...)


Paul has had more than enough respect over the years.

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

10 July 2010
12.45am
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say Paul has been respected too much or too little. I respect Paul (scratch that, I ADORE Paul), but I still think John sang the "Aaah"s you hear on the Pepper and LOVE mixes. You can respect someone without thinking s/he sang/did everything.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

10 July 2010
12.49am
Avatar
skye
AZ
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 2252
Member Since:
12 November 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you go over to Plain or Pan you can download the "master tapes" of ADitL. The track you want to listen to is 13 ADITL - 1, with the vocals isolated.  It sounds like John with someone else doing other sounds in the back ground.

I'm not sure if it's real or not, but I'm pretty the person pulling the song apart wasn't interested in this argument, so no bias here.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!

10 July 2010
12.57am
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

skye said:

If you go over to Plain or Pan you can download the "master tapes" of ADitL. The track you want to listen to is 13 ADITL - 1, with the vocals isolated.  It sounds like John with someone else doing other sounds in the back ground.

I'm not sure if it's real or not, but I'm pretty the person pulling the song apart wasn't interested in this argument, so no bias here.


it's definitely john. You can tell because His voice specifically was purposely echoed and reverb and it's used heavily with the "Aaahs"

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

10 July 2010
1.43pm
Avatar
RufusWild
New York, NY
The Indra
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
12 September 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wow.  Just read through this entire thread, and what's amazing, as someone else pointed out many MANY posts ago, is that a 10 to 15 second stretch of vocals from a pop song from over 40 years ago would inspire so much passion, intelligence (sometimes), and vigorous debate.  Of course, as we know, it's not just any pop song, and not just any group, and not just any album.

 

I've always thought of this song as really the crowning achievement of their crowning achievement - the toppermost of the poppermost - and actually the fact that we don't know (or, okay, we disagree) about who sang this part is in fact amazingly heartening to me.  Here's why:

 

I have two daughters, 6 and 10, and we listen to the Beatles all the time in the car.  They are always asking, "Which one is that?  Is that Paul?  George?  John?  Ringo?"  At those ages, they are very focused on the individual's contribution to the group.  And no matter how many times I try to explain the group's greatness stemmed from all four guys' contributions, they are still fixated on the individual singer.  I don't blame them - like many here, I have gone through "John phases" and "Paul phases" and "George phases" and even "Ringo phases" where I am convinced that that guy (whichever) was the genius that really made the group what it was. 

But isn't it so obvious?  It's all of them.  It's the greatest band because they were THE BEATLES.  John, bless his soul, decided Paul should join his band - but he didn't want it to be his band, Johnny and the Moondogs or Long John Silver or any of that - he recognized that what he wanted to give the world was a COLLECTIVE sound, not a lead singer and a backup group. They were just a band, who made it very very big, that's all.

I love that I now no longer know who sang that vocal section.  (I'd always assumed it was John, but after the argument here, I have gone back to the original and the vocal track, and while it still sounds like John to me, and I buy Emerick's account, I also concede that I am not a trained musician, and that Paulbass could well be right, and if you listen to it assuming it's Paul - which logically does make sense - it's easy to conclude it IS Paul).  But again - we don't know.  And that's the best thing of all.  All we know, as my six year old daughter finally said the other day when "Here Comes The Sun" came on, is: "It's the Beatles!  It doesn't matter which one!"

"We were just a band, who made it very very big, that's all."

10 July 2010
1.49pm
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

RufusWild said:

 

RufusWild said:

Wow.  Just read through this entire thread, and what's amazing, as someone else pointed out many MANY posts ago, is that a 10 to 15 second stretch of vocals from a pop song from over 40 years ago would inspire so much passion, intelligence (sometimes), and vigorous debate.  Of course, as we know, it's not just any pop song, and not just any group, and not just any album.

 

I've always thought of this song as really the crowning achievement of their crowning achievement - the toppermost of the poppermost - and actually the fact that we don't know (or, okay, we disagree) about who sang this part is in fact amazingly heartening to me.  Here's why:

 

I have two daughters, 6 and 10, and we listen to the Beatles all the time in the car.  They are always asking, "Which one is that?  Is that Paul?  George?  John?  Ringo?"  At those ages, they are very focused on the individual's contribution to the group.  And no matter how many times I try to explain the group's greatness stemmed from all four guys' contributions, they are still fixated on the individual singer.  I don't blame them - like many here, I have gone through "John phases" and "Paul phases" and "George phases" and even "Ringo phases" where I am convinced that that guy (whichever) was the genius that really made the group what it was. 

But isn't it so obvious?  It's all of them.  It's the greatest band because they were THE BEATLES.  John, bless his soul, decided Paul should join his band - but he didn't want it to be his band, Johnny and the Moondogs or Long John Silver or any of that - he recognized that what he wanted to give the world was a COLLECTIVE sound, not a lead singer and a backup group. They were just a band, who made it very very big, that's all.

I love that I now no longer know who sang that vocal section.  (I'd always assumed it was John, but after the argument here, I have gone back to the original and the vocal track, and while it still sounds like John to me, and I buy Emerick's account, I also concede that I am not a trained musician, and that Paulbass could well be right, and if you listen to it assuming it's Paul - which logically does make sense - it's easy to conclude it IS Paul).  But again - we don't know.  And that's the best thing of all.  All we know, as my six year old daughter finally said the other day when "Here Comes The Sun" came on, is: "It's the Beatles!  It doesn't matter which one!"


Exactly. It doesn't matter, but it's still the truth. To me, John sang it.

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

11 July 2010
4.48am
Avatar
A Fiendish Thingy
By the banks of her own lagoon
Paris Olympia
Forum Posts: 373
Member Since:
27 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

a-hard-days-night-ringo-9

I'm in love, but I'm lazy.

11 July 2010
10.20pm
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A Fiendish Thingy said:

a-hard-days-night-ringo-9


Now that we're done fighting, you can click on this link

Enjoy!

a-hard-days-night-john-6

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

14 July 2010
6.02pm
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey, paulsbass, guess what! Paul DID sing the "Aah"s -- in concert!

Muahahaha. I can be wicked sometimes, can't I? 😉

a-hard-days-night-paul-11

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

14 July 2010
7.26pm
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It WAS a great show. I'll probably still be talking about it when I'm as old as Paul is now! For some perspective, I'm about as old as George was when he got into the Quarry Men. 

I think his voice sounded great. 

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

9 August 2010
9.07pm
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It was George, John, and Paul.

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

10 August 2010
2.10am
Avatar
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1327
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

No matter how matter times I hear it, I'm still staggered by John's voice in this song. And I don't think paulsbass will give up that easily, so this debate could just keep going on and on and on and on...and on.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

10 August 2010
2.54am
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 478
Member Since:
27 February 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I say John. No doubt.

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

10 August 2010
1.43pm
Avatar
sarah machinella
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 877
Member Since:
8 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just listened to the multitrack masters... To me, now, that sounds like Paul, without a doubt

10 August 2010
3.12pm
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 478
Member Since:
27 February 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Paulrus said:

I just listened to the multitrack masters… To me, now, that sounds like Paul, without a doubt


Awww! Come on! Be serious! brian-epstein
 

My reconstruction (TV documental style):

(Abbey Road, night, "A Day In The Life" sessions. John is rehearsing his part with his Epiphone Casino(TM), Paul is in the piano (Yes, inside the piano, for acoustic reasons), and ask in a mild voice)

P: Hey, John, can I do the Ahhhs?

J: No! you can't fucking do the Ahhhs!

P: Bloody moustache face! Four eyes! Ouch! (he angrly shut himself inside the piano and the lid knock him out)

(some time later, he open the lid and says)

P: Hey, when I pass out, I had a weird dream about a girl called Lucy in some kind kind of sky that contains a sort of precious stones, good idea for a song! Right?

J: I already wrote it, you idiot!

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

10 August 2010
7.51pm
Avatar
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2815
Member Since:
1 December 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You're BOTH wrong, as far as the "no doubt" part goes!

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

10 August 2010
8.33pm
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

vonbontee said:

You're BOTH wrong, as far as the "no doubt" part goes!


a-hard-days-night-ringo-4 What?

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

10 August 2010
10.35pm
Avatar
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1327
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MrBig said:

vonbontee said:

You're BOTH wrong, as far as the "no doubt" part goes!


a-hard-days-night-ringo-4 What?

Because there seems to be quite a lot of doubt.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

10 August 2010
10.39pm
Avatar
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2815
Member Since:
1 December 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thank you, Mr. nuS!

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

10 August 2010
10.59pm
Avatar
sarah machinella
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 877
Member Since:
8 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I know, that's why I said that there's no doubt for ME that it's Paul. Wait, didn't this exact same thing happen earlier in the thread?

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Starr Shine?
72 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Starr Shine?: 12547

Silly Girl: 8799

parlance: 7065

mr. Sun king coming together: 6429

Mr. Kite: 6131

trcanberra: 5894

Ron Nasty: 5657

Necko: 5629

mithveaen: 4618

AppleScruffJunior: 4074

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2131

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 4034

Posts: 230899

Newest Members:

weirdlegacy, tomcon21, Ubu, OptimisticBeatlesFan649, OptimisticBeatlesFan64

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 12639, meanmistermustard: 19354, Zig: 8772, Joe: 4558

Administrators: Joe: 4558, Ellie: 4

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: davedrum
Upcoming: natureaker