The b-side of ‘Watching The Wheels’ was another Double Fantasy track, Yoko Ono’s ‘I’m Your Angel’ – later retitled ‘Yes, I’m Your Angel’.
‘Watching The Wheels’ was issued on 13 March 1981 in the United States, and on 27 March in the UK.
In the UK it reached number 30. It was a top 10 hit in Canada and Switzerland.
The single peaked at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, number six on the Adult Contemporary chart, and seven on the Cash Box Top 100.
‘Watching The Wheels’ was issued with a cover photograph featuring Lennon and Ono walking away from the Dakota building. It was taken by Paul Goresh, an amateur photographer who had become friendly with Lennon. Goresh took a number of photographs of Lennon in 1980, including an infamous one of him signing a copy of Double Fantasy for Mark David Chapman just hours before he died.
Also on this day...
- 2012: US DVD/Blu-ray release for Scorsese’s George Harrison documentary
- 1978: US album release: London Town by Wings
- 1970: Mixing: Dig It
- 1970: UK album release: Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Northampton
- 1961: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.