In May 1965 John Lennon and his wife Cynthia made a brief trip to Cannes in France to attend the film festival. He was interviewed on this day by reporter Martin Agronsky for CBS TV's The Merv Griffin Show.
The interview took place close to the sea front, before the couple returned to England later in the day. It was screened on Griffin's show from 11pm on 1 June 1965.
Also on this day...
- 2013: George Harrison memorial garden opens to public
- 2010: Paul McCartney to perform at Old Vic Theatre fundraiser
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono fly from Barbados to Toronto
- 1967: Recording: It’s All Too Much
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Sheffield
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: St Thomas’ Hall, Keith, Scotland
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.