This was the second preview of The Beatles’ Christmas Show in the north of England, ahead of its full run at the Astoria Cinema in Finsbury Park, London, on 24 December 1963.
As with the previous night’s concert in Bradford, this show at Liverpool’s Empire Theatre was performed as a straightforward concert, without the costumes, stage sets or comedy sketches. The other acts at the Christmas Shows were, in order of appearance, The Barron Knights, Tommy Quickly, The Fourmost, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, Cilla Black, and Rolf Harris.
The Beatles performed nine songs at this concert: Roll Over Beethoven, All My Loving, This Boy, I Wanna Be Your Man, She Loves You, Till There Was You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Money (That’s What I Want) and Twist And Shout.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Abbey Road’s zebra crossing given Grade II listed status
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono give a press conference in Montreal
- 1966: Mixing, editing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Rehearsal: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.