Eager as ever to garner publicity for their campaign, they gave a press conference to local journalists. It took place at Montreal’s Château Champlain hotel.
We think this was a positive decade, not a depressing one. This is just the beginning. What we’ve got to do is keep hope alive, because without it we’ll sink.
Lennon and Ono dressed in black and were surrounded by War Is Over posters. A brief colour clip from the conference was later included in the 1988 documentary Imagine: John Lennon.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Abbey Road’s zebra crossing given Grade II listed status
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 1966: Mixing, editing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Rehearsal: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.