The Beatles performed at Margate’s Winter Gardens on six consecutive nights, playing to two different ‘houses’ each time.
They performed nine songs: ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Thank You Girl’, ‘Chains’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘A Taste Of Honey’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘Baby It’s You’, ‘From Me To You’ and ‘Twist And Shout’.
Last updated: 6 March 2010
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live: Piazza Napoleone, Lucca, Italy
- 2009: McCartney rebuffs rumours that Michael Jackson left Beatles songs in will
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Here Comes The Sun
- 1968: Recording: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1968: The Beatles attend a press screening of Yellow Submarine
- 1966: UK EP release: Nowhere Man
- 1966: Travel: India to England
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
Little bit of history here. I was a 15 yo pool lifeguard at The Beresford Hotel in Birchington, near Margate, when the Beatles stayed for the week. They gave me £5 each time I could ‘save’ the tin ashtrays they threw in the deep end. As I only earned £6 a week I thought it was brilliant. Highspot though was pushing my bike towards the hotel gates one evening and the guys old black Princess came by, the window came down, and John asked if I wanted a lift up to the village. I’ve never thrown my bike so quicky into the bushes….
I am interested in your comments regarding being a lifeguard at the Beresford Hotel in 1963 during the period the Beatles were there.
I am rather bemused as I was the lifeguard during that period and have many pics to confirm including a couple of sets of autographs with my name on.As you can imagine I am a little confused as I was the only employee in the pool.Hotel manager at the time was John Major