Although the Rubber Soul album had been on sale for more than six months, Parlophone on this day issued a mono EP containing four songs from it.
It reached number four in the UK EP charts, and spent a total of 18 weeks in the rundown. Its low chart ranking can be attributed to the superfluousness of the release, although it did feature a new cover photo taken by Robert Whitaker.
Nowhere Man, The Beatles' 12th official EP, was the last convential one released prior to the special double set Magical Mystery Tour in 1967.
Also on this day...
- 2009: McCartney rebuffs rumours that Michael Jackson left Beatles songs in will
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Here Comes The Sun
- 1968: Recording: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1968: The Beatles attend a press screening of Yellow Submarine
- 1966: Travel: India to England
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.