The Beatles' sixth evening show at Liverpool's Cavern Club took place on this date.
They were top of the bill, with support from two acts: Karl Terry and the Cruisers, and Dale Roberts and the Jaywalkers.
This was their 27th Cavern appearance overall. In the afternoon they had also performed at the cellar club, making this the fourth day on which The Beatles played twice at the Cavern.
We had never seen The Beatles before and we saw these black leather trousers and black jackets and long hair. They got on stage and they blew me away. They were louder than anyone else, but they had the equipment.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr lead tributes to Cilla Black
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Target Field, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 1969: Paul McCartney produces The Iveys’ Come And Get It
- 1968: Mixing: Hey Jude
- 1967: George Harrison meets Ravi Shankar in Los Angeles
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison holiday in Devon
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1963: Live: Grafton Rooms, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.