It was the first release by Starbucks’ Hear Music label. McCartney chose to partner with the label following the end of his 45-year relationship with EMI/Capitol.
The first single, ‘Ever Present Past’, was released in the US on 15 May 2007, and became the second UK single on 5 November.
Memory Almost Full was issued in the UK on 4 June 2007, and the following day in the US. A vinyl edition was released on 25 June.
In the US it debuted at number three on the Billboard 200, selling 161,000 copies in the first week. This made Memory Almost Full McCartney’s highest-charting album since 1997’s Flaming Pie. In the first week 47% of sales were from Starbucks outlets.
Memory Almost Full charted at number five in the UK. Although sales through Starbucks were not eligible in the Official UK Charts, it was nonetheless McCartney’s highest chart position for more than four years. It spent a total of six weeks on the album chart.
The album also went top 10 in Canada, Denmark, the Netherlands, Greece, Italy, Norway and Sweden.
Memory Almost Full was the first Paul McCartney album to be sold as a digital download. Pre-orders on the iTunes Music Store included a bonus acoustic version of ‘Dance Tonight’. The album topped the Billboard Internet Sales chart, and reached number three on the Billboard Top Internet Albums Downloads chart.
A two-CD limited edition set was also released. Housed in an oversized digipack, the second disc included the extra tracks ‘In Private’, ‘Why So Blue’, and ‘222’, plus an audio commentary by McCartney.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Paul McCartney voices support for Black Lives Matter protests
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Nouveau Stade Vélodrome, Marseille, France
- 1989: UK album release: Flowers In The Dirt by Paul McCartney
- 1981: UK album release: Somewhere In England by George Harrison
- 1968: Recording: Don’t Pass Me By
- 1964: Television: Treslong, Hillegom, Netherlands
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1962: Travel: Liverpool to London
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.