Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Top 400 beatles Songs
11 August 2013
2.56am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 450
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ok so basically what this is that for 400 days i will publish a beatles or solo song and the for the day we will talk about the song and you likes or dislikes of it.

Song #400:

The Beatles- All Together Now

Album: Yellow Submarine

Release Date: January 17th 1969

Recorded: Abbey Road Studios. May 12th 1967

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”  John Lennon “Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.” The Tenth Doctor, The Lazarus Experiment.

11 August 2013
8.32am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

400! That will be going until next Christmas!!

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

11 August 2013
1.32pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 666

This is a very ambitious idea, and I hope you can keep you momentum up.

But I’ll bite.

While I love this song, I don’t really know a lot about how it came about.  1967 was such a productive time, and my guess is that this song was just a fun throwaway for it to sit on the shelf for almost two years.  This one of the few songs in their catalogue which can be most easily identified as a “children’s song” (I don’t mean that in a bad way).

E is for 'Ergent'.

11 August 2013
4.32pm
Mr Bellamy
Near Edinburgh
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 427

I had read somewhere that it was intended for the Our World broadcast in 1967 but replaced by All You Need Is Love . As for the song i think its fun but defiantly one of their worst.  

"We can do what we want, we can live as we choose"

12 August 2013
1.20am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #399:

Paul McCartney – Three Legs

Album: Ram

Released: May 17th 1971

Recorded: Columbia or A&R Recording Studio. Between November 1970 and April 1971

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”  John Lennon “Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.” The Tenth Doctor, The Lazarus Experiment.

12 August 2013
10.38am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

3 Legs is brilliant, one of my favourites on that album!  heart I love the tempo changes and it has a great feel…  kinda bluesy?   I’m not good at describing this stuff but you know what I mean.  ahdn_paul_01  It’s great.

tumblr_mfeave8d9j1qdajm7o1_500.gifImage Enlarger

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

12 August 2013
1.29pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

I don’t really like it. Not saying it’s a bad song and the tempo changes are cool and certainly make it less dull, but it’s just not my taste.

13 August 2013
1.48am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #398

Well Well Well-John Lennon

Album: John Lennon /Plastic Ono Band

Released: December 11th 1970

Recorded: Abbey Road or Ascot Sound Studios. Between September 26th and October 23rd 1970

Link To Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..ZDF_a604IA

13 August 2013
3.07am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I would put this in the same category as Ram On : ok to listen to but not one I seek out ever if not often, sound pleasant enough without actually doing anything or going anywhere. Both come and go and don’t detract from the overall album. Actually you could throw All Together Now into that same fold. 

Don’t remember hearing that ATN was an Our World possibility but Paul would have had it sitting around and it definitely wouldn’t have worked on Pepper and too simple for MMT.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 August 2013
12.27pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613

All Together Now – always makes me cringe to think that this was Paul’s contender for the Our World broadcast. It’s certainly good fun but really little more than a nursery rhyme.

3 Legs – probably my least favourite tune on Ram . I do like the main lyrical idea though; the bluesy metaphor of the three-legged dog being applied to feeling outnumbered and oppressed by the other Beatles.

Well Well Well – incredible tune and, I think, one of the main reasons Plastic Ono Band is so groundbreaking and excellent. Nothing else that I’ve heard sounded quite like that in 1970. That grinding guitar, deathly pounding drums, John’s vocals…one of the most nihilistic, violent, aggressive, uncompromising songs ever recorded.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

13 August 2013
6.21pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members

ATN was a contender for that Our World thing? I’m so glad they decided to go with All You Need Is Love . It’s funny but not representative.

Well Well Well- Well well well what a crapsong.

14 August 2013
1.25am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #397

Venus And Mars /Rockshow – Wings

Album: Venus And Mars

Released: May 27th 1975 (Album). October 27th 1975 (Single) (#12 USA, — UK (Did Not Chart))

Recorded:  Sea Saint, New Orleans or Wally Hieders Studio, Los Angeles. January – April 1975

http://youtu.be/BU_2oNF9CZE

14 August 2013
4.41am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

^One of my favourites from Wings.  Great tune.

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

14 August 2013
7.37am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141

Really fantastic song, happy, but not the best off Venus And Mars .

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

14 August 2013
10.05am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members

Hadn’t heard that one yet. Great song! Rocking and fun. Makes me very keen on checking out more of their music.

14 August 2013
12.12pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

These are 2 reasons why I don’t listen to the album of the same name that often. Far far better in a live environment.

14 August 2013
2.51pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613

I prefer the live version of Venus And Mars /Rockshow, particularly for the moment when it excellently segues into Jet . However I like the studio version too and think it boasts some of Paul’s most lavish and accomplished production. Particularly ass-kicking is the moment when the song trails off, then sneaks back slowly with that funky but furtive piano line – “who’s that there? Aww it’s you baby” – and suddenly the band all crash back in with the bass really driving and prominent until the fadeout. Best for production on the album though is the Venus And Mars reprise, which I prefer to the first one; it evokes an incredibly dense and fresh-sounding psychedelic atmosphere as it is lost in spaceship sounds and ethereal harmonies.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

14 August 2013
3.00pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

Venus And Mars is one of my favorite Wings songs (of what I’ve heard so far), but I’m often left wishing he’d continued it rather than segue into Rockshow, which I’m not fond of at all.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

15 August 2013
1.25am
Maxwell Edison MD
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Song #396

The Beatles- Revolution #9

Album: The White Album

Released: November 22nd 1968

Recorded: Abbey Road Studios. May-June 1968

15 August 2013
1.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I don’t mind it and it bugs me that people call it the worst Beatles song when its not a song and was never intended to be one, its a piece of music, a sound collage.

The stereo mix still disturbs me when played loud thru headphones and all the sounds pan across from one ear to the other and back. And its great how we now can hear the full take 20 of Revolution 1 which was the basis for this.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691