Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles 101
No permission to create posts
23 July 2010
5.00am
Avatar
A Fiendish Thingy
By the banks of her own lagoon
Paris Olympia
Forum Posts: 373
Member Since:
27 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So, as you may know, our own mithveaen a-hard-days-night-george-7 is a [really effin' groovy] teacher who on occasion uses the Beatles to help students expand their knowledge, which is a pretty effin' cool way of teaching.

Hearing about this has caused me to have a Beatles-in-schools research rage on the interwebs; and did you know that there are EFFING COLLEGE COURSES on the Beatles?!?! (You probably did, but this is a really great discovery for me, so just… act excited.)

Do you know of any other Beatles-related education things? Are any of you thinking of taking one, or have you already? I think everyone on this site would most likely school the teacher if we took that class, though.

I also discovered this: The Maharishi University of Management. (Why have I not heard of this before?)

Sorry if the title confused you… I was trying to think of a good one, but the ones I thought of just seemed like the thread was about how the four acted in school and things. Like "The Beatles 101" is less confusing. a-hard-days-night-paul-11

I'm in love, but I'm lazy.

23 July 2010
5.14am
Avatar
skye
AZ
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 2252
Member Since:
12 November 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You can even get a BA degree in Beatleology from Liverpool Hope University. You can read about it here. Most schools have at least a class - wish I had taken that for my humanities credit rather than the Modern Middle East. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!

23 July 2010
4.12pm
Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 4618
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A Fiendish Thingy said:

So, as you may know, our own mithveaen a-hard-days-night-george-7 is a [really effin' groovy] teacher who on occasion uses the Beatles to help students expand their knowledge, which is a pretty effin' cool way of teaching.

 


 

*blushing* Thanks FT!

 

Actually I have to say that of using Beatles songs to make students improve their English is nothing new, the rhythm of a lot of their songs is perfect to practice your pronunciation and I love to do it because I love the Beatles (and I take advantage of many and many more teens in my city that love them). 

Now regarding your question, I'd love to take a course to analyze Beatles songs. Imagine the final exam : Please write an essay with the following topic "What did John mean to say with 'I Am The Walrus'". Awesomeee

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

23 July 2010
5.01pm
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4553
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My wife became a doctor (clinical psychologist) in 2006, and since then I've wanted a doctorate of my own – it bugs me when we get letters addressed to "Dr and Mr…" (not really – I'm not the insecure type). Since The Beatles is pretty much the only subject for which I know loads, I've been considering applying to some universities* to a PhD in some aspect of their music and cultural impact.

I've toyed with some research subject ideas but really haven't the time to devote to it seriously. Maybe when this site's completed (yeah  right) and I've retired from the day job I'll have the time to do it.

Plus I'd get to have my thesis published, and it would rule. Oh well, I can dream.

* Liverpool would be awesome, and would make up for me not getting onto their undergrad English Lit course back in the 90s. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

23 July 2010
5.19pm
Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 4618
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Joe said:

My wife became a doctor (clinical psychologist) in 2006, and since then I've wanted a doctorate of my own – it bugs me when we get letters addressed to "Dr and Mr…" (not really – I'm not the insecure type). Since The Beatles is pretty much the only subject for which I know loads, I've been considering applying to some universities* to a PhD in some aspect of their music and cultural impact.

I've toyed with some research subject ideas but really haven't the time to devote to it seriously. Maybe when this site's completed (yeah  right) and I've retired from the day job I'll have the time to do it.

Plus I'd get to have my thesis published, and it would rule. Oh well, I can dream.

* Liverpool would be awesome, and would make up for me not getting onto their undergrad English Lit course back in the 90s. Not that I'm bitter or anything.


 

Why not? I mean I've read all the stuff in Beatles Bible and it's awesome!! Anyway I guess a well written book from the Beatles with an interesting topic can find an editor right?

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

23 July 2010
11.56pm
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 478
Member Since:
27 February 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

24 July 2010
12.04am
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Marcelo said:

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).


What exactly is agnosticism? 

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

24 July 2010
3.14am
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 478
Member Since:
27 February 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MrBig said:

Marcelo said:

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).


What exactly is agnosticism?
 

From Merriam-Webster.com:

agnosticism

Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agn?stos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gn?stos known, from gign?skein to know — more at know
Date: 1869

1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

 

I'm the first one.

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

25 July 2010
2.05am
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A Fiendish Thingy said:

Hearing about this has caused me to have a Beatles-in-schools research rage on the interwebs; and did you know that there are EFFING COLLEGE COURSES on the Beatles?!?! (You probably did, but this is a really great discovery for me, so just… act excited.)


Oh my heck. That is awesome. 

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

25 July 2010
2.27am
Avatar
MrBig
Rapture, Atlantic Ocean
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 1054
Member Since:
3 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MeanMrs.Mustard said:

A Fiendish Thingy said:

Hearing about this has caused me to have a Beatles-in-schools research rage on the interwebs; and did you know that there are EFFING COLLEGE COURSES on the Beatles?!?! (You probably did, but this is a really great discovery for me, so just… act excited.)


Oh my heck. That is awesome.
 

What college is this?

"The best band? The Beatles. The most overrated band? The Beatles."

25 July 2010
2.29am
Avatar
A Fiendish Thingy
By the banks of her own lagoon
Paris Olympia
Forum Posts: 373
Member Since:
27 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MeanMrs.Mustard said:

A Fiendish Thingy said:

Hearing about this has caused me to have a Beatles-in-schools research rage on the interwebs; and did you know that there are EFFING COLLEGE COURSES on the Beatles?!?! (You probably did, but this is a really great discovery for me, so just… act excited.)


Oh my heck. That is awesome.
 

 

Hahaha thanks! a-hard-days-night-george-9

I'm in love, but I'm lazy.

25 July 2010
2.32am
Avatar
A Fiendish Thingy
By the banks of her own lagoon
Paris Olympia
Forum Posts: 373
Member Since:
27 March 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MrBig said:


What college is this?
 

 

A bunch of colleges have them. I'm not sure which college it was when I found out about the courses, but I'm sure that there's more than just one.

I'm in love, but I'm lazy.

25 July 2010
4.56am
The CREeK
A Small Town 22 Miles South of Oregon
London Palladium
Forum Posts: 109
Member Since:
18 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Marcelo said:

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).


 

Nice. I'm going to college next month, hoping to be a doctor, lawyer, or dentist (I'm addicted to Nitrous Oxide enough to be a dentist).

I'm also planning on learning to sing through the college because its something Ive always wanted to do.

25 July 2010
10.41pm
Marcelo
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 478
Member Since:
27 February 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The CREeK said:

Marcelo said:

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).


 

Nice. I'm going to college next month, hoping to be a doctor, lawyer, or dentist (I'm addicted to Nitrous Oxide enough to be a dentist).

I'm also planning on learning to sing through the college because its something Ive always wanted to do.


 

Cool, don't forget the beer and the girls, it's a must.

By the way, I'm addicted to Nitrous Oxide enough to be a librarian. Choose whatever carreer you want, you'll be OK.

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

25 July 2010
11.08pm
Avatar
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 2716
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

(shudders) I HATE N2O.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

25 July 2010
11.30pm
The CREeK
A Small Town 22 Miles South of Oregon
London Palladium
Forum Posts: 109
Member Since:
18 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Marcelo said:

The CREeK said:

Marcelo said:

I'm wishing to study Oriental studies, because I'm a Japan freak; but two things against it are:

 

1. the only university here in Baires which have this is a catholic (I'm agnostic)

2. You should pay for study (Latin America, specially Argentina, has a strong free-educational policy).


 
Nice. I'm going to college next month, hoping to be a doctor, lawyer, or dentist (I'm addicted to Nitrous Oxide enough to be a dentist).

I'm also planning on learning to sing through the college because its something Ive always wanted to do.


 
Cool, don't forget the beer and the girls, it's a must.

By the way, I'm addicted to Nitrous Oxide enough to be a librarian. Choose whatever carreer you want, you'll be OK.


 

OH NO! My straightedge lifestyle is FU*KED!

1 August 2010
9.10pm
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4553
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MrBig said:

What college is this?
 


 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/educ.....university

I can't find much on the Liverpool Hope University site itself. Maybe they dropped the course. There is this though: http://www.hope.ac.uk/internat.....y-usa.html

Hi again all. I've been on holiday for a week (Portugal, sunny, v nice). Thanks for behaving in my absence!

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

1 August 2010
9.12pm
Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4553
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Oh OK. Found this: http://www.hope.ac.uk/prospect.....society-ma

"Career opportunities"... a-hard-days-night-paul-4

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

13 May 2014
8.46pm
Avatar
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6131
Member Since:
4 February 2014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Some of us have taken classes about the Beatles!

http://www.beatlesbible.com/fo.....niversity/

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Starr Shine?

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

13 May 2014
8.53pm
Avatar
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the Sky
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 12505
Member Since:
1 November 2013
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

The nearest thing I took to this is a History of Rock and Roll in high school

she was the sun, burning bright and brittle and,https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Starr Shine?, U.C.Nothing, William Shears Campbell, Leppo (aka fabbeatlebooks)
54 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Starr Shine?: 12505

Silly Girl: 8779

parlance: 7065

mr. Sun king coming together: 6429

Mr. Kite: 6131

trcanberra: 5888

Ron Nasty: 5640

Necko: 5610

mithveaen: 4618

AppleScruffJunior: 4068

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2126

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 4028

Posts: 230432

Newest Members:

johnny1230, Red_Hood, Andy67, Conolennony, Whaption54

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 12598, meanmistermustard: 19296, Zig: 8763, Joe: 4553

Administrators: Joe: 4553, Ellie: 4

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Father McCartney