Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Baker's Dozen
7 October 2020
4.47pm
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1047
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5681sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn’t question #2 because like somebody said, Across The Universe had two versions, the one on Let It Be and the one on the wildlife compilation album.

My vision was for stuff like you might have seen on the Rarities album.  But I won’t split hairs.  Let us proceed with #10.  If needed, I will add one tomorrow.

The following people thank Jolly Jimmy for this post:

kelicopter

You are all my friends.

7 October 2020
9.13pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
5682sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 BEATLE SONGS WITH MORE THAN ONE OFFICIALLY RELEASED VERSION
Describe at least one difference

1. Thank You Girl   (One version has extra harmonica in middle and at end.  The other has no harmonica in those spots.)

2. Across The Universe (Original album version was overproduced by Phil Spector, while the Naked version is raw and kind of perfect.)

3. Helter Skelter (No fadeouts and fade ins on mono mix)

4. Let It Be (LP version has louder guitar solo than the single 45 version)

5. Penny Lane (original single had an additional flourish of piccolo trumpet notes at the end of the song).

6. Love Me Do (Ringo was relegated to playing tambourine while session drummer Andy White played drums. This version is on the ‘Please Please Me ‘ album. A version with Ringo on drums appears on ‘Past Masters ‘)

7. I Am The Walrus (On American 45 version, opening riff is heard 4 times instead of six.  There is also an extra second or two of music between “I’m crying” and Yellow matter custard”).

8. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (White Album version is a soaring rock song with Clapton on lead guitar; the Anthology version is a contemplative acoustic version performed by George, with an extra verse.)

9. Help ! – The mono mix has an entirely different John lead vocal to the stereo, the tambourine is also missing.

10. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

8 October 2020
1.02am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3968
5683sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. Thank You Girl   (One version has extra harmonica in middle and at end.  The other has no harmonica in those spots.)

2. Across The Universe (Original album version was overproduced by Phil Spector, while the Naked version is raw and kind of perfect.)

5. Penny Lane (original single had an additional flourish of piccolo trumpet notes at the end of the song).

6. Love Me Do (Ringo was relegated to playing tambourine while session drummer Andy White played drums. This version is on the ‘Please Please Me ‘ album. A version with Ringo on drums appears on ‘Past Masters ‘)

7. I Am The Walrus (On American 45 version, opening riff is heard 4 times instead of six.  There is also an extra second or two of music between “I’m crying” and Yellow matter custard”).

8. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (White Album version is a soaring rock song with Clapton on lead guitar; the Anthology version is a contemplative acoustic version performed by George, with an extra verse.)

9. Help ! – The mono mix has an entirely different John lead vocal to the stereo, the tambourine is also missing.

10. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

11. Helter Skelter – Ringo’s “I got blisters on my fingers!” only in stereo mix.

"I Need You by George Harrison"

8 October 2020
6.50am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members

2a. Across The Universe (We also have the wildlife version with bird sound effects and two girls providing background vocals.)

3a. Helter Skelter – Ringo’s “I got blisters on my fingers!” only in stereo mix.

7. I Am The Walrus (On American 45 version, opening riff is heard 4 times instead of 6.  There is also an extra second or two of music between “I’m crying” and Yellow matter custard”).

9a. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

10. I’m Looking Through You (American LP version includes a false start)

Note:  I renumbered songs shown twice as supplements to original submission.  I like seeing the additional information.  But we are looking for 13 distinct songs.

You are all my friends.

8 October 2020
7.04am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5685sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Jolly Jimmy, sorry to throw up another one (and thanks for tidying the list), but I question Penny Lane  at 5 since the version cited was only sent out as a mono promo single to radio stations in the US and Canada and was replaced with the officially released version by the time of the single. It did not appear on an official Beatles release until the Pepper 50th anniversary edition (the version on the US Rarities was a fake, adding the extra piccolo trumpet notes to the stereo mix).

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 October 2020
9.05am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
5686sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ron Nasty , I thought of that too.  But I wasn’t sure what to do about it.  I was more concerned with once bootlegged demos and alternate takes later released on the Anthology CDs.

Maybe after we complete this list and start a new one, I’ll throw in a couple more for the halibut.

You are all my friends.

8 October 2020
9.27am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5687sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re always free to remove items that don’t fit the criteria you were aiming for, @Jolly Jimmy. It happens regularly in this thread.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

8 October 2020
11.29am
alittlebitolder
There Is A Place
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 524

2a. Across The Universe (We also have the wildlife version with bird sound effects and two girls providing background vocals.)

3a. Helter Skelter – Ringo’s “I got blisters on my fingers!” only in stereo mix.

7. I Am The Walrus (On American 45 version, opening riff is heard 4 times instead of 6.  There is also an extra second or two of music between “I’m crying” and Yellow matter custard”).

8. Help ! – The mono mix has an entirely different John lead vocal to the stereo, the tambourine is also missing.

8a. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

9. I’m Looking Through You (American LP version includes a false start)

Note:  I renumbered songs shown twice as supplements to original submission.  I like seeing the additional information.  But we are looking for 13 distinct songs.

I’ve removed ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps

8 October 2020
1.36pm
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
5689sp_Permalink sp_Print

2a. Across The Universe (We also have the wildlife version with bird sound effects and two girls providing background vocals.)

3a. Helter Skelter – Ringo’s “I got blisters on my fingers!” only in stereo mix.

8. Help ! – The mono mix has an entirely different John lead vocal to the stereo, the tambourine is also missing.

8a. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

9. I’m Looking Through You (American LP version includes a false start)

10. Yellow Submarine (John can be heard repeating the first line of the third verse in the mono version, whereas in the stereo version he doesn’t come in until the second line.)

8 October 2020
4.44pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
5690sp_Permalink sp_Print

5. Penny Lane (original single had an additional flourish of piccolo trumpet notes at the end of the song).*

5R. From Me To You (The mono mix has a harmonica added during the intro)

8. Help ! – The mono mix has an entirely different John lead vocal to the stereo, the tambourine is also missing.

8a. Help ! (a different difference – if this doesn’t count, I can delete it) – The US Capitol version has the James Bond bit at the beginning.

10. Yellow Submarine (John can be heard repeating the first line of the third verse in the mono version, whereas in the stereo version he doesn’t come in until the second line.)

*I am so accustomed to listening to the version with the extra piccolo, I forget it’s source. Let’s try a different song.

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

8 October 2020
4.53pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
5691sp_Permalink sp_Print

5. Penny Lane (original single had an additional flourish of piccolo trumpet notes at the end of the song).*

5R. From Me To You (The mono mix has a harmonica added during the intro)

10. Yellow Submarine (John can be heard repeating the first line of the third verse in the mono version, whereas in the stereo version he doesn’t come in until the second line.)

11. Get Back – The album version has dialogue that the single does not whereas the single has a coda that the album does not.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 October 2020
7.48pm
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
5692sp_Permalink sp_Print

11. Get Back – The album version has dialogue that the single does not whereas the single has a coda that the album does not.

12. I Should Have Known Better (At beginning of stereo version, harmonica riff gets cut short a note shortly before vocals.  It’s ok on the mono version)

You are all my friends.

9 October 2020
3.13am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

11. Get Back – The album version has dialogue that the single does not whereas the single has a coda that the album does not.

12. I Should Have Known Better (At beginning of stereo version, harmonica riff gets cut short a note shortly before vocals.  It’s ok on the mono version)

13. Don’t Pass Me By (the mono mix is much faster than the stereo and has more fiddle playing from Jack Fallon at the end)

13 John Lennon tributes
(they don’t need to be songs, can also include tributes such as statues, places named after him, etc.)

1. George Harrison (with contributions Paul and Ringo): All Those Years Ago

9 October 2020
3.40am
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
5694sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes
(they don’t need to be songs, can also include tributes such as statues, places named after him, etc.)

1. George Harrison (with contributions Paul and Ringo): All Those Years Ago

2. Paul McCartney : Here Today

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

9 October 2020
4.19am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
5695sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes

1. George Harrison (with contributions Paul and Ringo): All Those Years Ago

2. Paul McCartney Here Today

3. Liverpool John Lennon Airport

9 October 2020
5.00am
Shamrock Womlbs
Rishikesh
Members
5696sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes

4. Statue in Almería

9 October 2020
6.49am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
5697sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes

4. Statue in Almería

5. The album Working Class Hero : A Tribute To John Lennon

You are all my friends.

9 October 2020
7.03am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5698sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes

3. Liverpool John Lennon Airport
4. Statue in Almería
5. The album Working Class Hero : A Tribute To John Lennon
6. Strawberry Fields, Central Park, New York City

9 October 2020
7.25am
Shamrock Womlbs
Rishikesh
Members
5699sp_Permalink sp_Print

13 John Lennon tributes

4. Statue in Almería

7. Lennon Gallagher. Liam’s son

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

kelicopter

9 October 2020
7.48am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members

13 John Lennon tributes

4. Statue in Almería

7. Lennon Gallagher. Liam’s son

8. The TV special Come Together : A Night for John Lennon ‘s Words and Music in 2001

You are all my friends.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691