Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2020 Beatles Bible Bracket Challenge
9 May 2020
5.33pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

lovelyritametermaid said

Turn Left At Greenland said

Hey Bulldog , by contrast, is not worthy of its place in this contest, and in my humble opinion wasn’t even worthy of being on an official album release. I simply do not get why people love it so much. Anyway, moving on…

I– 

…..

…..

….

…..

okay no you know what it’s alright its fine I just gotta remember that people are entitled to their opinions that they’re just opinions and it’s fine no ones being hurt here it’s just an opinion even if I don’t agree with it 

*screams internally because the stubborn part of me wants to argue this so hard right now but I’m trying to be chill and open-minded* 

My dearest apologies, @lovelyritametermaid (and @Beatlebug and anyone else I have offended), I of course am not out to destroy anyone’s childhoods or anything like that. Some of my favorite songs got voted out before I even knew this bracket challenge was happening, so I get it. 

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh, CakeMaestor

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

9 May 2020
5.45pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
302sp_Permalink sp_Print

I make a point of trying not to be offended by people’s TOTALLY WRONG a-hard-days-night-george-10 opinions, but I do loooove to argue ahdn_george_06 so I must thank you for giving me an excuse to wax poetic about why Hey Bulldog is so awesome… to me, anywaya-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Turn Left At Greenland

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

9 May 2020
6.42pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
303sp_Permalink sp_Print

There were several of my favorite songs that didn’t score high enough in the rankings to be included in the first place. The only solution is more Brackets

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, Turn Left At Greenland

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

9 May 2020
7.42pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

sir walter raleigh said
There were several of my favorite songs that didn’t score high enough in the rankings to be included in the first place. The only solution is 

more Brackets a-hard-days-night-john-6

five minutes more, to be precise a-hard-days-night-john-6

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

9 May 2020
7.48pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2146
305sp_Permalink sp_Print

I absolutely love Hey Bulldog and it’s one of my favourite Beatles songs of all, and it hurt voting against it. It’s just that I prefer And Your Bird Can Sing . Very hard matchups here!

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

9 May 2020
9.23pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
306sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, we must say goodbye to some more incredible songs. Here is the next round.

Final-Beatles-Bible-Bracket-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Strawberry Fields Forever vs Here Comes The Sun (woah)

Twist And Shout vs Norwegian Wood

Dear Prudence vs. She Said She Said

Glass Onion vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Jules

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

9 May 2020
9.27pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
307sp_Permalink sp_Print

Screenshot-2020-04-27-at-3.59.54-PM.png

Beat ya to it, Ritaa-hard-days-night-paul-5

I’ll think my answers and write something tomorrow.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, CakeMaestor

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
9.51pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
308sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

sir walter raleigh
9 May 2020
10.03pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
309sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said 

Strawberry Fields Forever . Musically there’s a little more of it, I guess

Twist And Shout . Well shake it up baby now… the energy is almost unparalleled.

She Said She Said . DP is ok but cannot seriously have got this far.

Glass Onion . Easy top 3 for me

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

9 May 2020
10.06pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
310sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

9 May 2020
10.24pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
311sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said
Screenshot-2020-04-27-at-3.59.54-PM.png

Beat ya to it, Ritaa-hard-days-night-paul-5

I’ll think my answers and write something tomorrow.

My brand = s t o l e n ahdn_paul_01ahdn_paul_01ahdn_paul_01

Anyhoo

sir walter raleigh said
Unfortunately, we must say goodbye to some more incredible songs. Here is the next round.

1. Strawberry Fields Forever (for this I just went off of the lyrical input because just going off of it musically I would have put myself through even more hell trying to decide a-hard-days-night-paul-10

2. Norwegian Wood (While T&S brings its own kind of energy (and John’s voice is sexy af), NW is just a more complex and intimate piece overall– great lyricism that tells an overarching story, great instrumental work, experiments with a waltz time sig and style,  the sitar is introduced to Western pop music, the John and Paul harmonies.) 

3. Dear Prudence (John utilizes the clawhammer picking technique taught to him by Donovan whilst in India and I like Donovan and clawhammer picking soooo……but yeah it’s also a gorgeous song which I said a billion times before and I’m running out of reasons to pick one song over the other mccartney-shrug_01_gif)

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (I reeeaalllly don’t understand why people are picking GO over this but whatevs I guess mccartney-shrug_01_gif

R.I.P Hey Bulldog ahdn_george_05ahdn_george_05ahdn_george_05

Also if GO comes out on top at the end of this thing imma be soooooooooooooooo incredibly pissed  indifferent because I recognize that my opinions aren’t everyone’s opinions and vice versa

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

9 May 2020
11.12pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members

sir walter raleigh said

While I am incredibly sad to see some great songs go, I’m not too devastated, because all the ones that won out are legitimately good songs. 

Strawberry Fields Forever –okay, so once upon a time I thought both of these songs were overrated; thankfully I have come around to loving HCTS and absolutely adoring SFF. While I love both songs, I have to pick SFF. Besides my simple subjective tastes, I have a few reasons for this. First off, SFF is so atmospheric, it’s almost like an entire dream world is contained within the song. It also manages to take great advantage of ambiguous moods, constantly alternating between whimsical and downright terrifying. Second, there’s so many little details–like the “one, two, three, four” whispered before the second swarmandal flourish, or the pitch change in the middle of a line where the two tapes of different speeds were spliced together, that make listening to the song almost like an easter egg hunt. And third, the structure. SFF has one of my favorite structural qualities a song can have: namely, a damn good build-up. The structure is repetitive, but each time it’s repeated a new element gets added, until by the end you can’t believe where you’ve ended up. For all those reasons and more, I have to go with SFF.

Norwegian Wood –don’t get me wrong, I think TAS is perhaps the best song off their first album, and by far their best cover. The raw, youthful energy (and obvious congestion) of John’s vocal delivery is astounding. And yet…I will always pick Norwegian Wood . While it may not be a long song, Norwegian Wood manages to paint a poignant picture with a simple (but incredibly beautiful) acoustic guitar and sitar riff and some of the cleverest lyrics John ever wrote (“I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me…). It really doesn’t get better than this, and still stands as one of my top three Beatles songs of all time. And finally, to continue with my practice up to this point…YOU’VE GOT THIS, Norwegian Wood , I’M ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Dear Prudence –I actually surprised myself with this choice, as I probably listen to SSSS much more often and know it better. But there’s something about Dear Prudence that’s just…magical, you know? The ethereal guitar, accompanied by John’s ethereal vocals, is just too lovely not to pick. While I truly love both songs, I have to go with Dear Prudence on this one.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps –finally, an easy choice! While I do very much enjoy Glass Onion , it frankly doesn’t hold a candle to the instrumental and spiritual majesty of WMGGW. I mean, it’s got a freakin’ Eric Clapton solo, for god’s sake! My personal favorite song George did with the Beatles. 

EDIT: thank you for giving me the opportunity to write essays on my favorite songs. This has truly been a treat.

sir walter raleigh, CakeMaestor, Jules

9 May 2020
11.17pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
313sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lovelyritametermaid said

1. Strawberry Fields Forever (for this I just went off of the lyrical input because just going off of it musically I would have put myself through even more hell trying to decide a-hard-days-night-paul-10

2. Norwegian Wood (While T&S brings its own kind of energy (and John’s voice is sexy af), NW is just a more complex and intimate piece overall– great lyricism that tells an overarching story, great instrumental work, experiments with a waltz time sig and style,  the sitar is introduced to Western pop music, the John and Paul harmonies.) 

3. Dear Prudence (John utilizes the clawhammer picking technique taught to him by Donovan whilst in India and I like Donovan and clawhammer picking soooo……but yeah it’s also a gorgeous song which I said a billion times before and I’m running out of reasons to pick one song over the other mccartney-shrug_01_gif)

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (I reeeaalllly don’t understand why people are picking GO over this but whatevs I guess mccartney-shrug_01_gif

Hey, for once we completely agree! paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

lovelyritametermaid

9 May 2020
11.47pm
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767

sir walter raleigh said

It gets more and more painful the further we go, I’d reckon it’d be a form of torture for us Beatles fans.

1) Strawberry Fields Forever

2) Norwegian Wood – Honestly surprised it made it this far, not that I’m complaining

3) She Said She Said – I shall go down with my sinking ship of a favorite song.

4) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

The following people thank CakeMaestor for this post:

Teddy Salad

We do a little trolling

- Faul

9 May 2020
11.49pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
315sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

Holy hell a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

Here Comes The Sun I think is the one I feel more personally attached to… ever so slightly… also George. Sorry SFF! paul-mccartney

Norwegian Wood is just cooler to me. My brain always ranks covers as a subclass of Beatles songs, so even the Beatles’ best covers, such as T&S, can’t compete in my mind.

This one’s tough but I’m gonna have to go with Dear Prudence , sweet and shimmering and a magnificent crescendo… just pissed off Holey and pleased AG, oh well. We mods can’t stay unified on everything — we’re only human, after all. ahdn_paul_01

While My Guitar Gently Weeps , no contest. Glass Onion is cool, but c’mon.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

10 May 2020
1.26am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
316sp_Permalink sp_Print

So many amazing songs from the White Album . I’m one of the White Album ’s biggest fans. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

lovelyritametermaid

10 May 2020
2.13am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Strawberry Fields Forever – This for me is not much of a battle, it’s not even the battle of the round. ‘SFF’ every day of the week.

Twist And Shout  vs Norwegian Wood – This is the tie of the round and ‘Twist And Shout ‘ wins on instinct. ‘NW’ is such an incredible piece of work for so many reasons but ‘TAS’ is so powerful. If ‘NW’ does come out on top I won’t be irked.

Dear Prudence – As before, the round, round section does it for me.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Easiest of the round. ‘GO’ did very well to get here but here it must end.

On another note; I’m working the next two days so will try and get my choices up but there is no guarantee.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 May 2020
5.04am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
318sp_Permalink sp_Print

Me seeing I’ve Just Seen A Face has been kicked out

Image Enlarger

THERE’S NOT MUCH POINT IN EVEN FINISHING THIS THING- IT’S OVER!!!!!!!

1. Here Comes The Sun

2. Norwegian Wood

3. Dear Prudence

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – I swear to God if Glass Onion somehow manages to get through ANOTHER round, I will break something.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

10 May 2020
5.16am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

sir walter raleigh said

This one is for the ages. George’s songwriting abilities can’t be denied on Abbey Road , and Here Comes The Sun might be the best song he did with the Beatles. The difference with Strawberry Fields Forever is pretty wide. Not only is the latter more daring, more cutting edge, more insightful, but it is also a worst composition. This is the genius of it. Here Comes The Sun sounds like it was a good composition even when it was solely an acoustic song, and only adding a few strings and keyboards, plus drums, just slightly enhanced how good it was. John’s vision was such during the late 60s that he and the rest of the band knew that if they put their minds to it they could accomplish anything. Have you ever heard early demos of Strawberry Fields Forever ? It had a pretty rough start, it wasn’t nearly as good. That is why I have to give it the win: because not only it combines sounds in a mind-blowing way so the song ends up being ten times better than the original acoustic version, but it also did it in a year were this wasn’t common and the Beatles had everything against them considering the passing of Brian Epstein, their usage of drugs and the amount of competition that started to appear. How they still came out ahead is beyond me. Here Comes The Sun sounds like the result of years of experience, but Strawberry Fields Forever sounds like the inception.

sir walter raleigh said

I think it’s pretty easy to see why Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) will have the edge. It just gives us a peak at Lennon sharpening his pen, as well as the musical ambition of the band when it came to emulate particular sounds. Twist And Shout is a classic, and one of the best in its genre, but not only is it a cover, but it is still sonically monotonous, considering the instrumentation, and the lyrics are dumbed down for dancing parties of early 1960s. I’m sure it had a lot of impact at the moment, but Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) is more personal, it belongs to a better album and it’s a step forward in every sense of the word.

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

sir walter raleigh said

This is a hard one for me, this two are probably in my top five and I hate to see either go. But if I’m being honest, as much as I admire the capability of the band to really innovate and manufacture sounds as hard as walls just using the instruments they’d been using for quite some time in She Said She Said , Dear Prudence is just simply better. It comes down ultimately to the way the song progresses. Dear Prudence is told like a good book, it has an introduction were we get to know the primary leitmotivs and ambience, a middle-part were we get to see how it evolves into new sounds, particularly the “round round” vocals, as well as the re-introduction, and finally a conclusion that really steps up to shake all of the instruments, vocal harmonies, sound effects and gives them all a proper conclusion. She Said She Said is superb, but Dear Prudence is just, technically speaking, the perfect song. You can’t really compete with that.

sir walter raleigh said

On one hand we get John’s witty lyricism and referential epitaph, on the other we get George’s realized lines of interestingly serious statements. Well, to me, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is fooling a lot of people into thinking all of those disjointed, unfocused lines have a meaning, when the truth is he’s punching above his weight, he’s not really doing anything new, he’s not conveying emotions as well as he could. I just think it comes off forced and it’s very bloated. Glass Onion has its issues, but at least is not so goddamn pretentious. It’s just straight and to the point, with a more than decent melody and lyric progression, it doesn’t try to last longer than it should. Glass Onion is the definition of self-awareness, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is precisely the opposite. I really don’t want neither to go any further than this round because this aren’t even the White Album songs we should be talking about, but I’m not gonna vote for While My Guitar Gently Weeps . I think it’s overrated, and there are at least a dozen better songs that could take its place, including Glass Onion , which is at least funnier.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

the watusi

the twist

10 May 2020
5.19am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
320sp_Permalink sp_Print

C’mon! Glass Onion is trailing 4-6, surely 2 other people will vote for it???

Didn’t think I’d get this invested in this…a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, Jules

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694