Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2020 Beatles Bible Bracket Challenge
8 May 2020
9.52pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
281sp_Permalink sp_Print

I forgot to vote last round so I’m gonna go at it early this time. 

Tomorrow Never Knows – This round is a serious psychedelic showdown. In my opinion, TNK pulls off the insane experimental vibe much better that IATW. It takes itself more seriously, rocks harder, is more profound, and is just an all around better song. 

For No One – This is a tough matchup, but FNO is an spectacular lyrical achievement whereas IJSAF is a little bit more vanilla. 

And Your Bird Can Sing – brings a smile to my face every time. The middle eight is fantastic, and perfectly segues back into the harmony verse

In My Life – come on, I love Rain but In My Life is subjectively one of the all time great songs. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

8 May 2020
9.53pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
282sp_Permalink sp_Print

Exciting!!!!

Tomorrow Never Knows –ahh, the moment has finally come, when two psychedelic heavyweights face off against each other. While I have known IATW for much longer and have strong emotional attachments to it, I just cannot say enough good things about TNK. It’s groundbreaking, profound, and makes you feel like you can go on an acid trip without actually taking any acid yourself. It just takes you to another world–whether or not that world is the Dalai Lama singing on a mountaintop, I am not sure, but it is surely no less magical. 

I’ve Just Seen A Face –I have had to make a lot of tough decisions in these brackets, but this is easily the hardest one. While neither song is one of my all-time favorites, I do truly and genuinely adore both of them–they’re two of Paul’s greatest songs. I literally flipped a coin, and when it came up with FNO, I flipped it again, and it came up with FNO again. So I began to proceed with my vote based on the utterly crass criterion of a goddamn coin flip. And that’s when it hit me–I just love IJSAF a little but more, and I couldn’t bring myself to vote it out. Even if it meant knocking out another amazing Paul masterpiece. Guys, this was hard, but I’ve made my choice, and I’m sticking to it.

And Your Bird Can Sing –thank god, an easy choice! While I am still *incredibly* salty about AYBCS beating out ADITL, I have to admit–it’s a heckin’ great song. That riff alone is just killer, and the weird yet somehow profound lyrics–it’s all truly wonderful. Hey Bulldog , by contrast, is not worthy of its place in this contest, and in my humble opinion wasn’t even worthy of being on an official album release. I simply do not get why people love it so much. Anyway, moving on…

Rain –ahh, once again, two excellent songs. But I personally feel that IML is a tad overrated, and Rain is just such a breakthrough sonically and production-wise, and an excellent companion to the exquisite Paperback Writer (press F to pay respects). Hard choice, but again, I’m comfortable with my decision.

This is getting haaaard

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Jules

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

8 May 2020
10.26pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
283sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

I Am The Walrus vs Tomorrow Never Knows

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One

And Your Bird Can Sing vs Hey Bulldog

In My Life vs Rain

*siiiiigggghhh*

Defeated GIFs | TenorImage Enlarger

1. I Am The Walrus (For me, this decision just came down to the fact that I really like the strings and overall musical aspects of IATW more than I like the trippy af stuff on TNK) 

2. For No One (FNO carries a bit more weight for me than IJSAF– I love IJSAF, but FNO is my best friend’s fave Beatles song (she’s a horn player like Holey go figure) so….yeah) 

3.  this is haaarrrrddd paul-mccartneypaul-mccartney Okay okay I just had a quick listen to both and on instinct from fresh listens am going with And Your Bird Can Sing (*press F for Hey Bulldog im sorry my love but the guitar and harmonies on AYBCS got to me ahdn_george_05a-hard-days-night-paul-7)

4. In My Life (~ p a t h o s ~) 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, Jules

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

8 May 2020
10.31pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
284sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turn Left At Greenland said

Hey Bulldog , by contrast, is not worthy of its place in this contest, and in my humble opinion wasn’t even worthy of being on an official album release. I simply do not get why people love it so much. Anyway, moving on…

I– 

…..

…..

….

…..

okay no you know what it’s alright its fine I just gotta remember that people are entitled to their opinions that they’re just opinions and it’s fine no ones being hurt here it’s just an opinion even if I don’t agree with it 

*screams internally because the stubborn part of me wants to argue this so hard right now but I’m trying to be chill and open-minded* 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, meanmistermustard, Turn Left At Greenland

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

8 May 2020
10.59pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 If you won’t, then I will. Someone’s got to combat this wrongness. a-hard-days-night-george-10

~ f i g h t   m o d e   a c t i v a t e ~

HEY BULLDOG IS A BANGER. The overenthusiastic opening piano grabs your attention by the scruff and then you get fuzztastic guitar and the driest, thunkiest bass known to Man, straight from the Sahara desert or the granola aisle at your local health-food shop, all taking you for a propulsive ride through some of John’s finest nonsense, delivered in classic, aggressive, make-you-believe-every-word Lennon style. Then you get one of George’s most excellent, melodic, exemplary solos (or was it John? That’s a whole other argument, but either way, it serves the song perfectly while simultaneously taking it to another level, as all the best Beatles solos do), as the Beatles lark in the background and generally have a riotous time. Things take off fully when Paul transforms into a genuine canine and everything generally goes off the rails into party land, yet George and Ringo keep unshakeable chugging away in the back, always the underrated Beatles. There’s an inimitable sense of spontaneity here: the lads are just having such infectious, irresistible fun, riffing off-the-cuff, not trying to be anything in particular but their silliest selves, as exemplified by Lennon’s deranged cackle coming in just before some of the most classic mournful enchanting Beatles harmonies enter just as the song fades out, without having outstayed its welcome in the slightest. In some ways, the Beatles’ last hurrah as a group that can just have fun as a group, with the spontaneous chemistry that they would never truly regain again, though try they did to Get Back .

ALSO IT IS LITERALLY MY ENTIRE CHILDHOOD. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

/PWT

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

sir walter raleigh, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

8 May 2020
11.38pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
286sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One : GOD DAMMIT. …

Reluctantly, I’m going to have to go with For No One because of that amazing French horn part, a choice which I know pissed off applescruffjunior and pleased @The Hole Got Fixed as punch. (YKYAHBBer when…) ahdn_paul_01

Yesssssssssss

sir walter raleigh said
I Am The Walrus vs Tomorrow Never Knows

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One

And Your Bird Can Sing vs Hey Bulldog

In My Life vs Rain

I Am The Walrus . It’s so ridiculous, I love ita-hard-days-night-john-6

For No One . See above comment by Bebu!

You cannot be kidding me. My number 2 vs. my number 1 of all time. Ughhhhhh… Hey Bulldog , but I’m so sorry AYBSC!

Rain . IML is ok but Rain is fantastic!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

9 May 2020
12.14am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

Imma save my energy for the final round. Expect MLA format. EDIT: Oh what the hell…

sir walter raleigh said

Very hard choice. This comparison brings the best out of each song, as both can be called two of the most experimental songs in the Beatles’ discography. The difference lays in their pace, and I think that’s were one of the songs should take the win. I Am The Walrus is an attempt at lunacy in which John approaches lyrics that are purposefully trying to sound silly. He succeeds, by the way. On the other hand, Tomorrow Never Knows , at its core, doesn’t feel like a mockery of psychedelia but a true sentiment of rediscovery. What I mean is, if you wanted to write a song imitating the ramblings of a crazy man, I Am The Walrus would be the way to go, whereas Tomorrow Never Knows would be the song you’d write if you actually wanted to know how a crazy person perceives things. There is mad editing and instrumentation in both songs, but I’ll give the win to the latter, considering the drumming choice and speed at which the psychedelic sounds bang the left year give it more of a driving, constantly moving forward sound, when I Am The Walrus is a more laid back, classic banging beat, that is still good, but doesn’t awake a rush the way Tomorrow Never Knows does. It just feels more spiritual and has more empathy for a true feeling of madness. It’s a deeper sentiment.

sir walter raleigh said

I personally think there is no contest. I’ve Just Seen A Face is great, but it works under the four-instrument convention of the classic rock band and despite the lyrics, the song is nothing special. For No One just had the luxury of being composed during a time were the Beatles were more accustomed to trying new things, variate in instrumentation, the song doesn’t even have that much percussion because Paul already knows there must be a connection between the instrumental palette and the story being told, as much as the emotion with which is being told. And this awareness of balance in the mixing of instruments is what make it so compelling. Besides, I think the lyrics in it are also better, they feel more heart-felt, and they actually are based on real thoughts going through Paul’s head, instead of just him meeting a pretty girl for like the eight billionth time.

sir walter raleigh said

A pretty hard decision, considering none should be in this round by now. I think there are at least twenty songs more fit for the part. Alright, so here we go. Hey Bulldog has to its advantage a really badass riff, that along with piano, guitars and drums (including backwards recording) create a strong sense of unity in the band. The lyrics are funny, but nothing outside of this world. And Your Bird Can Sing is shorter, and has to its advantage the ascending and descending guitar licks of George that spice up the song but in a lovelier way. The lyrics are, again, okay. I think in the end And Your Bird Can Sing has better melodies and feels grand when Hey Bulldog feels more local. But I’d be okay with either.

sir walter raleigh said
In My Life vs Rain

Probably one of the toughest choices so far. On one hand we’ve got a psychedelic ballad, very much ahead of its time, and on the other we’ve got a sweeter than sugar melody and vocal performances. Both are pretty much an ode to sorrow with an overwhelming sense of hope. The only difference, and what in my opinion makes the cut of one above the other, is that the two spark the same feeling, but In My Life is trying while Rain isn’t. Here’s what I mean: In My Life is really hitting those “I’m sad I want my old life back” lyrics, and Rain just has this beautiful, spontaneous poetry that conveys the emotion in a much more subtle way; increasingly enhanced by John’s vocal performance and the progressive instrumentation. When you are sad, most of the times you don’t express it as boldly as John does in In My Life . Generally the reaction you have is trying to think or pretend you’re thinking in other stuff to try to fool people, maybe even yourself, that you are okay. Rain conveys that. I’m gonna go with it over In My Life because I think Rain comes from a point in Lennon’s songwriting progression in which he figured that, to make someone feel nostalgic or melancholic, sometimes it’s better to write lyrics that are more profound and ethereal. I love In My Life , but the lyrics are kind of forcing sadness into you in a way Rain isn’t, Rain is just about nature and human’s response to it, and this universal simplicity somehow comes off as deeper. Plus the instrumentation, damn.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh, lovelyritametermaid

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
3.38am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959

I Am The Walrus – My top 5 (I think I have about 17 songs in my Beatles top 5). Both songs are so bizarre and whilst ‘TNK’ went there first and is still timeless, ‘IATW’ takes it a bit further – and then John goes way beyond the distant horizons with ‘Revolution 9 ‘  Extra credit too for folk berating the song for making absolutely no sense because of the lyrics (“what’s an elementary penguin”?). Many non-Beatles fans will get ‘TNK’, and begrudgingly say “trippy but ok” whilst immediately hate ‘Revolution 9 ‘. With ‘IATW’ they will hear it start and think a hesitant “ok” before listening to the lyrics as it goes on thinking a massive “WTAF!!!!!!”.

I’ve Just Seen A Face  vs. For No One – Yeah. Ok. How do you opt for one of over the other without immediately wanting to change? Erm… Even taking both apart and saying “oh this one does this so that’s it”, you then get reminded of how the other does that. FFS!!!!!! C’mon… Erm… I DON’T WANT TO AND YOU CAN’T MAKE ME!!!!! Oh, you don’t need to but I should be voting for one as per the point of the game… Erm… ‘For No One ‘ but don’t ask why, just let me leave the room and break down quietly outside. And never bring it up again. I need a strong drink.

And Your Bird Can Sing – Exceptional. My favourite song on ‘Revolver ‘ so… but again. ‘HB’ has no reason to be this good. Just listen to the outro and tell me it’s not brilliant, and that’s ignoring the intro and the middle and the guitar solo and the great lyrics (read about them) and the promo video.

In My Life – Nothing to say about this I haven’t said before. Truth be told, I’;ve never been that bothered about ‘Rain ‘. I like it more than ever before but that’s the equivalent of rating it a B- over a C+.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 May 2020
4.28am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
289sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bebu how could you??? :'( :'( :'(

1. Tomorrow Never Knows – reverse gooiness

2. I’ve Just Seen A Face – because that is the right answer and frankly any other answer is invalid BA DOM BA DOM BOP

3. Hey Bulldog – one sole answer: dat bass tho

4. In My Life – absolute sheer beauty.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

9 May 2020
4.28am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

meanmistermustard said
Many non-Beatles fans will get ‘TNK’, and begrudgingly say “trippy but ok” whilst immediately hate ‘Revolution 9 ‘.

Some people like their psychedelia complemented with rhythma-hard-days-night-george-10You can’t just mush a bunch of weird sounds together and expect everybody to praise it for being “trippy”.

Beatlebug, Turn Left At Greenland

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
5.33am
alittlebitolder
There Is A Place
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 524
291sp_Permalink sp_Print

I Am The Walrus vs Tomorrow Never Knows :I Am The Walrus … crikey, this is a tough one as they are two of my favourite Beatle songs 

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One : For No One … one of my favourite Paul songs

And Your Bird Can Sing vs Hey Bulldog : Hey Bulldog … Surprisingly John wasn’t impressed with either of these songs, when of course, they are both brilliant! A tough decision! Love the ad-libbed interplay between John & Paul at the end!

In My Life vs Rain :In My Life … two more of my favourites, we will have lost a few classic John songs after this round!

The following people thank alittlebitolder for this post:

Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh
9 May 2020
7.32am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2140
292sp_Permalink sp_Print

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

9 May 2020
8.26am
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 687
9 May 2020
8.31am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
294sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tomorrow Never Knows – Yes

For No One – Duh

And Your Bird Can Sing – It’s the cartoon theme song

Rain – Sick drums bro

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 May 2020
8.55am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
295sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
Rain – Sick drums bro

200.gifImage Enlarger

Beatlebug, Turn Left At Greenland, The Hole Got Fixed

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
10.32am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767
296sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
And just like that, we are on to the sweet sixteen. Section 3 of the bracket made it through without any notable upsets. Straight up 1, 2, 3 and 4 seeds. Notable upsets so far are the 25 seed I’ve Just Seen A Face and the 17 seed Glass Onion

Final-Beatles-Bible-Bracket-1.jpgImage Enlarger

This round:

In My Life vs Rain

1) Tommorow Never Knows – This is a tough pick, seeing how “I Am The Walrus ” is one of my favorite songs by the fab four.

2) I’ve Just Seen A Face

3) And Your Bird Can Sing

4) Rain

The following people thank CakeMaestor for this post:

AppleScruffJunior

We do a little trolling

- Faul

9 May 2020
1.36pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
297sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

AppleScruffJunior, Beatlebug
9 May 2020
2.45pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
298sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

sir walter raleigh

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

9 May 2020
4.36pm
Teddy Salad
SL, UT
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
299sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ay yi yi 

1. TNK – more ground breaking

2. FNO – makes me feels

3. AYBCS – toughest of the round. Love the syncopation, or whatever it’s called – can you tell I’m not musical?

4. IML – still #2 all time

Yes, I'm livin' in hope

nutopia.jpg     

We surrender, to peace and to love

9 May 2020
5.26pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
300sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

meanmistermustard said

Many non-Beatles fans will get ‘TNK’, and begrudgingly say “trippy but ok” whilst immediately hate ‘Revolution 9 ‘.

Some people like their psychedelia complemented with rhythma-hard-days-night-george-10You can’t just mush a bunch of weird sounds together and expect everybody to praise it for being “trippy”.

I second that. I absolutely love the psychedelic stuff–it truly is my favorite music in the whole world–but Revolution 9 always took it too far in my opinion. 

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

Jules

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5515
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691