Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2020 Beatles Bible Bracket Challenge
7 May 2020
6.54pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
261sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is nothing fictional about Prudence, Jules; she is Mia Farrow’s sister, was in India with them, spent all her time meditating in her room, and the song was John’s attempt to get her to leave her room and join in the fun.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules, Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 May 2020
7.44pm
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 687
7 May 2020
8.16pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

Ron Nasty said
There is nothing fictional about Prudence, Jules; she is Mia Farrow’s sister, was in India with them, spent all her time meditating in her room, and the song was John’s attempt to get her to leave her room and join in the fun.

I knew about the origin of the name wasn’t fictional and I always thought the character wasn’t literally the real person and John just took the name. But the fact they were trying to get her out of her room because she was meditating were details I wasn’t aware of. Good to knowpaul-mccartney-thumb_gif The song is still as good, hell, maybe even better now that I know that story.

Still, the song has an ethereal enough instrumentation to feel grander than it really might’ve been intended to, so… oops. And, in a way, my analysis of the song still applies even without me knowing the story behind it so kudos to me. I’ll fix the wording if that’s ok.

the watusi

the twist

7 May 2020
8.40pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2144
264sp_Permalink sp_Print

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

7 May 2020
8.58pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
7 May 2020
8.59pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
266sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence : Dear Prudence definitely, especially after that kick I was on recently; never been fond of HIAWG (aaaaand there we go I’ve pissed off half the forum again)

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone : Oof that’s tough, love ’em both, but She Said She Said is gonna have to be it. It’s Revolver ‘s essence distilled and Ringo is a BEAST.

Glass Onion vs Sg.t Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band: Glass Onion is such an excellent example of John’s wit, but Pepper has f r e n c h h o r n . . . ugh. I guess I’ll go with Glass Onion .

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps : it’s tough but YNGMYM, medley ftw.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

7 May 2020
9.03pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
267sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence : Dear Prudence definitely, especially after that kick I was on recently; never been fond of HIAWG (aaaaand there we go I’ve pissed off half the forum again)

AAAAAAWHATAREUSAYINNOOOOOAAAAAIEIJEDJKDKDSJXCDMSNJKMHCX

The following people thank Jules for this post:

Beatlebug, Timothy, lovelyritametermaid

the watusi

the twist

7 May 2020
9.05pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
268sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know, it just doesn’t speak to me like it speaks to other people. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

Jules, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

7 May 2020
9.07pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
269sp_Permalink sp_Print

You need a fix.

‘Cause you’re going down.

Beatlebug, Timothy, Teddy Salad

the watusi

the twist

7 May 2020
10.00pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
270sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone

Glass Onion vs Sg.t Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Dear Prudence –razor thin margin here, like both songs (though neither are favorites of mine)

She Said She Said –BAH-BUH-BUH-BAH-BUH-BUH-BAH-BOW

Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band–the beginning of perhaps the greatest album of all time

While My Guitar Gently Weeps –razor thin margins again, except this time I truly love both songs. WMGGW has just been with me for so much longer

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

7 May 2020
10.43pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
271sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone : Oof that’s tough, love ’em both, but She Said She Said is gonna have to be it. It’s Revolver ‘s essence distilled and Ringo is a BEAST.

Glass Onion vs Sg.t Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band: Glass Onion is such an excellent example of John’s wit, but Pepper has f r e n c h h o r n . . . ugh. I guess I’ll go with Glass Onion .

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps : it’s tough but YNGMYM, medley ftw.

She’s back– I didn’t even have to “flatter her ego” this time a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Beatlebug said
I don’t know, [HIAWG] just doesn’t speak to me like it speaks to other people. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

I feel like HIAWG, in general, is an acquired taste and only really appeals to a certain half of the Beatles’ audience. I like the song, but I can definitely see why people may be turned off by it. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 May 2020
10.51pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
272sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said
I feel like HIAWG, in general, is an acquired taste and only really appeals to a certain half of the Beatles’ audience. I like the song, but I can definitely see why people may be turned off by it. 

I get that feeling with I Am The Walrus . It took make quite some time to start liking it, and once it happened, I ended up loving it maybe too much. But I would totally understand why would someone be put off by it, it has some rough editing.

Warm Gun, however, is a little harder for me to understand. I mean, you don’t like non of the 4 sections it has? None? Not even that badass riff break in the middle? Like, it’s such a diverse song, it’s hard for me to grasp any Beatles fan not liking it. Not that I don’t respect your opinions @Beatlebug it’s just that I really feel a connection to that song.

lovelyritametermaid

the watusi

the twist

7 May 2020
11.02pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

lovelyritametermaid said

She’s back– I didn’t even have to “flatter her ego” this time a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Beatlebug said
I don’t know, [HIAWG] just doesn’t speak to me like it speaks to other people. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

Well, ya done did it – ya got me invested in the game. I’m here for the long haul now. a-hard-days-night-john-6

And yeah, I probably just haven’t acquired the taste for it yet. I fully expect I will have in a few years time… maybe if/when I learn it.

lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

8 May 2020
8.07am
Teddy Salad
SL, UT
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
274sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

I’ve honestly had so much fun writing this long-ass detailed explanations that I don’t know what am I gonna do in the next round, given I would essentially be talking about songs I’ve already talked about.

Somehow, I feel like you’ll figure out something! a-hard-days-night-george-10

After lifting the heavy weight last round, I almost feel like this round is a let down. Mostly uninspiring.  Anyway…

1. HIAWG – DP is the one song where I prefer a cover to the original.  Has anyone else heard Siouxsie and the Banshees’ version?

2. SSSS

3. GO

4. WMGGW – It’s been an eye opener that the songs from the Medley haven’t fared well on their own.

The following people thank Teddy Salad for this post:

Beatlebug, Jules

Yes, I'm livin' in hope

nutopia.jpg     

We surrender, to peace and to love

8 May 2020
9.09am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

1. Dear Prudence – I really love HIAWG so I’m angry now

2. She Said She Said If I Needed Someone is good not great and if someone carved their number on my wall, I’d be pissed.

3. Sgt Pepper ‘s- GO is *yawns*

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – YNVMYR is beautiful but WMGGW will always win!

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

8 May 2020
9.25am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767

sir walter raleigh said
My apologies for the delay. Here is the next round

Beatles-Bible-Bracket-3-4.jpgImage Enlarger

Beatles-Bible-Bracket-4-3.jpgImage Enlarger

Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone

Glass Onion vs Sg.t Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps

1) Happiness Is A Warm Gun – How dare you make me pick between these two.

2) She Said She Said – Not much of a contest, really. “If I Needed Someone ” is really good, but “She Said She Said ” is one of my favorite Beatles track.

3) Glass Onion – Again, how dare you.

4) While My Guitar Gently Weeps – A George classic vs a Paul classic. You are now my public enemy number one.

We do a little trolling

- Faul

8 May 2020
10.12am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

lovelyritametermaid said

Beatlebug said

Well, ya done did it – ya got me invested in the game. I’m here for the long haul now. a-hard-days-night-john-6

And yeah, I probably just haven’t acquired the taste for it yet. I fully expect I will have in a few years time… maybe if/when I learn it.

I suggest that you do soon, Bebu, because I learned it this week and I kind of enjoy playing it more than I enjoy listening to it ngl ahdn_paul_02

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

8 May 2020
2.36pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
278sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

I suggest that you do soon, Bebu, because I learned it this week and I kind of enjoy playing it more than I enjoy listening to it ngl ahdn_paul_02  

Makes sense. The song structure sounds disjointed to me (I’m sure I’m not “getting” it for whatever reason, you can try to persuade my mind but you won’t persuade my soul until it makes its own mind up) but I imagine it would be fun to navigate.

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

8 May 2020
9.28pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
279sp_Permalink sp_Print

And just like that, we are on to the sweet sixteen. Section 3 of the bracket made it through without any notable upsets. Straight up 1, 2, 3 and 4 seeds. Notable upsets so far are the 25 seed I’ve Just Seen A Face and the 17 seed Glass Onion

Final-Beatles-Bible-Bracket-1.jpgImage Enlarger

This round:

I Am The Walrus vs Tomorrow Never Knows

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One

And Your Bird Can Sing vs Hey Bulldog

In My Life vs Rain

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

8 May 2020
9.37pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
280sp_Permalink sp_Print

I Am The Walrus vs Tomorrow Never Knows : oof. Close call. I don’t have terribly strong feelings either way, they’re both “John’s trippy songs” in my mind, but I guess I Am The Walrus because it has Shakespeare bits and I always liked the imagery as a kid.

I’ve Just Seen A Face vs. For No One : GOD DAMMIT. …

Reluctantly, I’m going to have to go with For No One because of that amazing French horn part, a choice which I know pissed off @AppleScruffJunior and pleased @The Hole Got Fixed as punch. (YKYAHBBer when…) ahdn_paul_01

And Your Bird Can Sing vs Hey Bulldog : FUUUUUUU- okay fine, Hey Bulldog , mostly for sentimental reasons.

In My Life vs Rain : In My Life , no contest.

sir walter raleigh, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: BobGreaves
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694