Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2020 Beatles Bible Bracket Challenge
6 May 2020
4.17am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
241sp_Permalink sp_Print

And now that AYBCS has taken down the heavyweight, I have faith it can continue on and win!a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-john-6

sir walter raleigh said
The next round:

Strawberry Fields Forever vs. Please Please Me

We Can Work It Out vs Here Comes The Sun

Twist And Shout vs. I Will

Taxman vs Norwegian Wood

SFF. I can’t see this one being beaten by PPM .

We Can Work It Out . I think it just beats HCTS, imo – it’s a clever little song with classic John/Paul ideas

Twist And Shout . Damn awesome rocker.

Norwegian Wood . Fantastic song, can’t put it any other way. Taxman gets close though.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

6 May 2020
4.47am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Strawberry Fields Forever – No contest. ‘PPM ‘ is such a great track, it had more energy packed into it’s 2 minutes than the entire top 75 the first week it charted, but ‘SFF’ is still way beyond it – two completely different approaches to the same track edited together and it works far better than you’d ever imagine. The lyrics, the arrangements, the greatest false ending leading into one of the greatest ever codas, John muttering his favourite turkey sauce leading to people thinking Paul was dead. 

We Can Work It Out – I love the lyrics and a great underused example of John and Paul having two entirely different songs which they put together to create a work of art. ‘HCTS’ is beautiful and it’s always great hearing it but, as with ‘ADITL’ v ‘AYBCS’, if given the choice between the two I’d opt for ‘WCWIO’ more often. [side note: I remember a review of ‘FAAB’ shortly after it premiered and the headline was ‘We Can’t Work It Out’, that repulsed me yet I admired it.]

Twist And Shout – As much as I love ‘IW’, ‘T&S’ is such a brilliant cover. Turn it on, turn it up incredibly loud and be taken over with complete pleasure as will everyone else nearby, it’s that kind of rare song. If you haven’t watched footballs fans do this go and watch.

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) – ‘Taxman ‘ is one which I admire yet do particularly care for, it’s somehow a letdown to the point where it’s my least favourite George track on ‘Revolver ‘ (and in my bottom four album tracks for that album) yet I don’t know why nor can explain it. ‘NW (TBHF)’ on the other hand is incredible in that it is such a soft track which hides some of the harshness in the situation related by John (possible betrayal due to a one-night stand which turns into nothing so the house is burnt down). It’s the Dylan track I kind of wish Dylan had recorded but I doubt he ever could or get it to be this good. The lyrics are genius and it helped open up an entire musical culture to a society without ever being overpowering, in your face, condescending, or smug thru the understated yet perfect use of a sitar.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

6 May 2020
9.56am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
243sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

The next round:

Strawberry Fields Forever vs. Please Please Me

We Can Work It Out vs Here Comes The Sun

Twist And Shout vs. I Will

Taxman vs Norwegian Wood

I think I’m gonna be in tears by the end of this thing but here goes a-hard-days-night-paul-10

1. Strawberry Fields Forever (pitting SFF against PPM is like traveling back in time to beat up your baby self– they’re both great songs, but SFF just has so much more experimental and musical development/maturity, and is overall just a terrific piece of groundbreaking psychedelia. Thus, no contest.)

2. Here Comes The Sun (I see a few good arguments for WCWIO on this thread, but my gut is telling me to pick HCTS– is just so gorgeous and pleasant and beautiful, with wonderful instrumental, lyrical, and vocal input from George. And it still holds up to this day– it doesn’t sound like it came from 1969, it’s one of those Beatles tunes with a timeless quality that always sounds like it was written and released just last week. There’s a reason why this is one of the most well-known Beatles songs.)

3. Twist And Shout (I really wanted to vote for I Will , but it just seemed necessary to move T&S along. IW is beautiful and wholesome and lovely, but honestly, John’s vocals on T&S just take the cake for me. It’s just so tantalizing and invigorating– a perfect cover and one that John and the boys really made their own.)

4. Norwegian Wood (a perfect Lennon composition– that’s all I have to say~)

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, sir walter raleigh

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

6 May 2020
10.46am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
244sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those of you not voting for Here Comes The Sun . Firstly >:( and secondly:

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, Jules, lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 May 2020
10.49am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

@lovelyritametermaid said
I think it’s realistic to understand that DSOTM and Floyd in general for that matter is not for everyone– we all have different tastes and thus differing opinions that, while seemingly strange and outlandish at times a-hard-days-night-george-10, have a right to be respected, as this bracket challenge itself so prevalently displays through are individual votes and reasonings.  

Also, I appreciate it that those of you who detest DSOTM at least gave it a fair chance before adamantly presenting such harsh opinions.   

Yeah, joking aside, I’ve always held that as well – I like to say “Pink Floyd is not for everyone. Ask your doctor (Robert) if Pink Floyd may be right for you” (Pink Floyd is certainly my drug of choice a-hard-days-night-john-6)

And now you are all making me angry with your votes so here goes (another way to get me to respond to something – piss me off with your wrong opinions a-hard-days-night-george-10)

Strawberry Fields Forever vs. Please Please Me : Strawberry Fields Forever . Nostalgia mostly but also it’s just lightyears ahead of PPM , really not a fair contest at all.

We Can Work It Out vs Here Comes The Sun : OUCH OUCH OUCH. I LOVE THEM BOTH. I’d say WCWIO is the better Beatles song due to its being a Beatlesey Lennon/McCartney thing rather than George in Eric Clapton’s garden, but I’m more likely to go for HCTS because George? uggggghhhh I don’t know. I guess I’ll vote for WCWIO because the John/Paul dynamic is awesome and I have a longer history with it (technically I knew HCTS first because who doesn’t, but I didn’t connect with it till later).

Twist And Shout vs. I Will : ARGH. All you people choosing Twist And Shout are no longer my friends. I Will forever, it is the perfect love song. My dad used to sing it to me as a lullaby when I was a wee thing and so that’s why Paul is my other dad and I Will fight you. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15a-hard-days-night-ringo-15a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Taxman vs Norwegian Wood : Ehhhh difficult but I think Taxman , the weird intro and crunchiness and George’s snarkasm are just perfect. Excellent opener to THE BEST ALBUM.

Edit: DAMMIT ASJ I JUST made up my mind about WCWIO vs HCTS and you had to post that- paul-mccartney

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

6 May 2020
10.55am
alittlebitolder
There Is A Place
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 524
246sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

The next round:

Strawberry Fields Forever vs. Please Please Me : Strawberry Fields Forever – my favourite Beatles song.

We Can Work It Out vs Here Comes The Sun : Here Comes The Sun – my favourite George Harrison song (though I love WCWIT too)

Twist And Shout vs. I Will : I Will – a weakish round

Taxman vs Norwegian Wood : Norwegian Wood – a tough one to choose

6 May 2020
11.07am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

AppleScruffJunior said

Ok your contribution just made my day that is so fantastic!!ahdn_george_06ahdn_george_06ahdn_george_06heartWe should win btwstuart-sutcliffe

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, AppleScruffJunior, Beatlebug

the watusi

the twist

6 May 2020
11.20am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

SFF – the groove of this song is so good. it doesn’t even sound like they are playing real instruments. George’s sporadic playing combined with the percussive organ playing makes for the most satisfying drop i’ve heard. “Let me take you down cause i’m going to…” the hesitation in his phrasing is masterful. Everybody loves this song because it is unbelievably great. I’m a big fan of the combination of takes as well as the outro conceived by madmen. 

Here Comes The Sun – “Sun Sun Sun here it comes” the work done on synth here is extremely underrated. While the outtakes and covers of the sun that feature acoustic are also great because the essence of the song is so great and natural, the instrumentation goes overlooked for this song as well as many of the tracks on Abbey Road

I Will – One of the first Beatles songs I knew from my dad’s lullabies as a kid. Paul’s vocal performance stands out every time , so soft and gentle. Not to diminish John’s Twist And Shout vocal, but I give the edge to the White Album acoustic as well as the original composition. 

Norwegian Wood John Lennon at his absolute peak. Does not waste a breath. Does not waste a note. The harmonies are  a stand out on all of Rubber Soul , however here we can hear a true exploration of folk harmony between John and Paul. Yet John’s solo verses are the essence of the song. So much expression. “And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown” 

edit: I figured i’d add my reasoning for these picks, even though this round is a bit easier to choose than the last. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Beatlebug

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

6 May 2020
11.57am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
249sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

AppleScruffJunior said

Ok your contribution just made my day that is so fantastic!!ahdn_george_06ahdn_george_06ahdn_george_06heartWe should win btwstuart-sutcliffe

We bloody should win! I’ll be getting onto Geneva if we don’t because my human rights have been violated!!

The song without vocals is as beautiful if not more than the finished product.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Jules

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 May 2020
12.11pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
250sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

sir walter raleigh
6 May 2020
12.58pm
Teddy Salad
SL, UT
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
251sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Strawberry Fields Forever

Here Comes The Sun

Twist And Shout

Taxman 

Ditto.  Thanks @Ahhh Girl for making it easy.  This challenge has shown me that our tastes are similar.

The following people thank Teddy Salad for this post:

Ahhh Girl

Yes, I'm livin' in hope

nutopia.jpg     

We surrender, to peace and to love

6 May 2020
1.05pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
252sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Teddy Salad do you mind editing your post by either removing the quote or just copying and pasting the selections so I don’t forget to count your votes? Im afraid I’ll scroll by it by accident

6 May 2020
3.16pm
Teddy Salad
SL, UT
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
253sp_Permalink sp_Print

Strawberry Fields Forever

Here Comes The Sun

Twist And Shout

Taxman 

More than happy to, @sir walter raleigh. I’m grateful to you for taking on such a massive undertaking.  It’s been great fun and an eyeopener. 

The following people thank Teddy Salad for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Ahhh Girl

Yes, I'm livin' in hope

nutopia.jpg     

We surrender, to peace and to love

6 May 2020
3.55pm
piggylane
y'know
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 137
254sp_Permalink sp_Print

I reckon it should go 

1 – Strawberry Fields Forever – though I feel a bit bad for Please Please Me , it really just could never win that one 

3 – Here Comes The Sun We Can Work It Out is great but this is the one that got me here, also it’s just better

2 – I Will – It’s so very pretty 

4 – Taxman – I feel like it isn’t actually as good but it’s got something to it that makes me like it more

The following people thank piggylane for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, Jules

The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you... probably... I actually don't know... and it's nighttime here //piggiesinpennylane

7 May 2020
4.05pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
255sp_Permalink sp_Print

My apologies for the delay. Here is the next round

Beatles-Bible-Bracket-3-4.jpgImage Enlarger

Beatles-Bible-Bracket-4-3.jpgImage Enlarger

Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone

Glass Onion vs Sg.t Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, Jules

7 May 2020
4.19pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
256sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said 

Beatles-Bible-Bracket-3-4.jpgImage Enlarger

It’s happening

Screenshot-2020-04-27-at-3.59.54-PM.pngImage Enlarger

Glass Onion vs Sgt Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Dear Prudence (sorry HIAWG, but DP is just so ~wholesome~ and ~gorgeous~ all throughout– a lovely lovely track)

2. If I Needed Someone (I’m still kinda salty that SSSS beat out Something , so I’m going with George on this one + ~those harmonies~) 

3. Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band 

4. Arrghhhh this is too difficult a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 but I’m going to go with You Never Give Me Your Money  on instinct here. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, Turn Left At Greenland, sir walter raleigh

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 May 2020
4.47pm
alittlebitolder
There Is A Place
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 524
257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happiness Is A Warm Gun vs Dear Prudence – This is a tough one as they are maybe my two favourite songs on the ‘White Album ‘ … ‘Dear Prudence ‘!

She Said She Said vs If I Needed Someone – ‘She Said She Said ‘ … no contest really

Glass Onion vs Sgt Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band – ‘Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

You Never Give Me Your Money vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps – another tough one, I really like both songs! ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps ‘ just!

7 May 2020
6.11pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
258sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said 

Dear Prudence . HIAWG is a-hard-days-night-paul-3

She Said She Said . IINS makes me smile but SSSS is in a league of it’s own.

Glass Onion . It’s a top 5 song for me I reckon.

You Never Give Me Your Money . Gently Weeps is ok, but nothing magical imo so You Never beats it.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

7 May 2020
6.15pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
259sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dear Prudence – It’s very close but the mad “round, round” and revisited verse one sections would tip the balance. That’s not to downplay the awesomeness of all the varied sections of ‘Happiness’. 

If I Needed Someone – On initial instant instinct alone I opt against ‘SS, SS’ and go for ‘IINS’. There is something about that George song that always winds me in upon listening. I know I should play it more when I do hear it whereas when I hear ‘She Said’ I just absolutely adore the track and then continue on. A small but minor difference.

Glass Onion – I’ve never been that bothered with that album title track, it rocks but I could easily skip that and ‘WALH’ and not be bothered. ‘GO’ is fun. Considering some of the other momentous battles going on, this is the equivalent of Auchtermurdie Amateurs playing Clachmuirsheil Wanderers in an end-of-season dead rubber football match. I will add that my favourite version ever of ‘GO’ is actually a fan outtake from the 80’s; it is utterly brilliant. It has a cool as hell intro and weird instrumental solo but sadly it looks like it has been removed from interweb videos. Hunt it down folks.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps – ‘YNGMYM’ is brilliant but it so much better when in context with the other medley track so for that reason I’ll go with ‘WMGGW’. The harmonies alone make it worthy of being good enough to hold it’s own.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 May 2020
6.34pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

sir walter raleigh said

The scarily dominant personality of John in the White Album is what makes him such a focal point through the tracklist of that record. Dear Prudence is not about romance. And somehow Prudence, the main subject of the song, doesn’t feel like a significant other. Instead, we get the oeuvre of a man that has so many feeling, he decides to grant them to Prudence. The narrator sounds like an entity, observing a person that he knows could be more than special if she took the initiative. It is an encouragement song, and it embodies the emotion more than the story. John is almost shouting the lyrics, like he desperately wants Prudence to pay attention but he is unable to reach her. He takes “roses are red” and manages to swirl George’s guitar around the lyrics to make them sound like the most profound and sincere rhyme ever sang. We can hear deep voices chanting “look around” approximately through the middle of the song, giving a dark tone once it really starts progressing. Then as it accelerates the narrator furiously and happily breaks that wall between them, until the last cymbal hits, and then Prudence is no longer trapped. It is the loudest noise of calm. Later in the album, Happiness Is A Warm Gun appears out of nowhere. A song assembled as John’s heroin addiction manifesting through stages. John constantly introduces new melodies, or new hooks that don’t mean anything but paint clear pictures of terror and mystery. The smokey atmosphere of the song is indestructible. In the way he introduces one of the most badass guitar riffs of all time, “I need a fix, ‘cause I’m going down”. Finally he decides to introduce a pseudo-chorus, adding backing vocals performed by himself as well. He doesn’t blink while the tempo variates, adding a groovy personality to an already ever-changing track. It is hard to rank the creativity of what are songs that could shame any material a band contemporary to the Beatles could offer. I’m gonna go with the one that works as a unique entity. Dear Prudence seems to be the choice to go. Given that Happiness Is A Warm Gun at points could be describe as a mix of three or four musical pieces, clearly divided in sections. The evolution of it is not as organic, and its climax isn’t nearly as ear grabbing. Not that those four songs wouldn’t already be some of the best songs ever written, mind you. Yet, in the end, Dear Prudence doesn’t have to do anything but be itself.

If I Needed Someone is one of George earliest successes as a songwriter. He finally understood how to assemble the different elements that make a song appealing and applying the style of the band to it. Such as Ringo’s love for the tambourine, or the three part harmonies, the evolution of a riff into a chord progression. He is stepping up and writing efforts that could perfectly be composition for his bandmates. It is a strong leap in self-awareness, and effortlessly builds a particular atmosphere inside the album. I’ve always regarded it as the most underrated song in Rubber Soul . It doesn’t sound like George’s previous contributions. This was probably the first that felt like it deserved its spot in an album. So it seems unfair to compare it to She Said She Said , one of the most realized, iconic and free-flowing songs of the band’s career. She Said She Said might as well be the track that represents Revolver as a whole. It is a perfect balance of pop sensibilities but unbelievable creativity, and it defined an entire sound that the band seemed to had been building up to. It doesn’t force breakthroughs into it to make it a potential career-defining song if any other artist would’ve come up with it. It doesn’t bravely feature strings like Eleanor Rigby to impress people, or weird edits like Strawberry Fields Forever , or vocals like the ones in Because , worked over and over again until it was perfect. She Said She Said is flawless, yet it shows it wasn’t that complicated to write or record. Just give them a drum set, a bass, an electric guitar and put them in a room. They’ll create your career’s biggest hit. Ringo’s drumming spaces the sections in the song like they were close friends, and with every section the songs turns groovier. The lyrics are so insightful. How is one expected to react after hearing those drum fills and have John Lennon shouting in your ear “She said, I know what it’s like to be dead” right at the beginning. She Said She Said makes you capable of perceiving the waves of sound spinning through your ears, that is literally what the song sounds like. It is definitely one of their best, and I have to pick it over If I Needed Someone , as good as that George track is.

Mostly a fight between Beatles two big pieces of Beatles cannon references. “Here’s another place you can go, where everything flows”. Glass Onion is just that, a song by the Beatles, about the Beatles. Lennon shows his disattachment to the Beatles cult of personality by trying to not bank in his previous efforts, but rather building upon them. He mocks the obsession of his fanbase around meaningless plots in his songs. “Here’s another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul”. If I’m not mistaken that lyrics was written before John revealed that I Am The Walrus was just a scheme to fool hipsters into analyzing it, so the lyrics, at the moment, were a secret way for him to tell you he was fooling you. Now it’s different, because we now the end of the story, but picturing back then in the context of the release of the White Album is quite badass. It is scary the way in which he literally sings about it in a very self-aware way. It is one of the few cases in the Beatles’ discography in which meta-writing is clearly referenced. But the point of the song isn’t to try to spark a sense of recognition from the listener and lazily write a song around it, given the song has a point different to what it may seem at first. “Here’s another place you can be, listen to me”, he implores to the listener. That is what he is saying. You want more meaningless horse shit you can repeat to make yourself look cultured? Here’s a Glass Onion , make something of it. It is a very smart lyrics, with beautiful imagery. We see Lucy in the sky, The Fool On The Hill , the fixing of a hole, the strawberry fields. It is quite stunning as a multi-faceted referential piece of art. It is one of those instances in which Lennon throws a pack of creativity at the wall and it sticks. Yet, Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is a true original. One of the best openers to any album ever. We hear the instruments being tuned just before Paul essential screams at as: are you ready for a show? What is the Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band? It doesn’t matter, have your heard that guitar? Let’s pay attention to what these guys have to say. Glass Onion is filled with originality despite all of its references, but the intro of Sgt. Pepper is the actual thing you would go back and reference in the first place, because it is so iconic, yet so good on its own right. As much as you try, you can only create this unique cultural landmarks without trying. Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band could’ve been just a silly idea a band had once and nobody remembers, it would still be fantastic, but the fact that it is so recognizable, and characteristic is what puts it above a cut like Glass Onion .

Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band

In While My Guitar Gently Weeps George decides to write a chord progression that isn’t too experimental and blow it out of proportion. It has to be epic. He adds in three types of guitars, including one by Eric Clapton, the drums and bass drive slowly, with fills that consistent on simple 2/4 hits, just a much as the sounds in the song, and an organ and a piano mark notes that stand as hard as stones, stumbling upon the song as if it is the place they’ve been always looking for. It’s a powerful song, deserving its praise among the best track in the White Album . You Never Give Me Your Money is pretty much an Abbey Road track, looking for a connection between fallen pieces and rejoining them as one. This track has some of the smoothest transitions made in any Beatles song. It is the start of the famous Abbey Road medley, but many people fail to see it is a little medley of its own. You Never Give Me Your Money , as many spots in McCartney’s career, understands that a song is like an art film: it’s all about the journey, where you have been, where you are now, where you will go next. It has just the right amount of instruments. Every moment is flavored by a unique piece of sound that expands this overwhelming sense of sunshine killing any bacteria that might grow around the song. A song only feels awkward when it feels forced. Like, for instance, a main piece of lyric depicting a guitar “gently” weeping. What does “gently” mean? It is a weirdly specific and kind of pretentious writing chop. How much meaning has a lyric like “I don’t know why you someone controlled you, they bought and sold you”. It doesn’t feel like true poetry, but like a decent imitation. Paul, for all his faults, truly had a knack for writing pieces that felt not only like deep moments in his songs, but also common phrases one would use. He could turn the ordinary into extraordinary. “Out of college, money spent, see no future, pay no rent”, that is an insightful line. McCartney works it into the song by devaluating the meaning of the words themselves and putting them along with different topics, in the end creating good-sounding phrases instead of convoluted pieces of over-indulgence. Who goes into the shower and mumbles “I don’t know how you were diverted, you were perverted too. I don’t know how you were inverted, no one alerted you”? Not me. “One sweet dream. Pick up the bags and get in the limousine. Soon we’ll be away from here. Step on the gas and wipe that tear away. One sweet dream, came true, today”. Apart from this lyrical wonder, the song goes through two piano melodies, three guitar riffs, four drumming changes, a harmonic bridge, an instrumental break, and a melodic outro: “one, two, three, four, five, six, seven – all good children go to the heaven”. In under four minutes. It amazes me the way in which words are being painted over this hard rock canvas. This arbitrary brushstrokes create this coherent piece not because they look alike, but because they are painted with the same amount of energy. While My Guitar Gently Weeps stays in the same place, awkwardly variating between that minor chord progression and that major chord progression. The latter I’ve always found to be a bit of an underwhelming moment in the song, to be honest. You Never Give Me Your Money is a straightforward, ever evolving, tangibly creative song. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is self-absorbed enough to cancel out whichever of this qualities it may appear to have at first. As good as the song may be, it just feels too insecure to match up to Paul’s confidence.

tenor-1.gifImage Enlarger

I’ve honestly had so much fun writing this long-ass detailed explanations that I don’t know what am I gonna do in the next round, given I would essentially be talking about songs I’ve already talked about.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Teddy Salad

the watusi

the twist

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694