Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2020 Beatles Bible Bracket Challenge
5 May 2020
9.34am
Teddy Salad
SL, UT
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I somehow missed yesterday’s round, for which I shall be endlessly ashamed.  But I’m pretty happy with the songs that made it through.

And Your Bird Can Sing – As others have said, perhaps not the better song overall, but I find myself spontaneously singing it more often than ADITL.  If I’m suddenly singing the latter, it is most often Paul’s section, which is not where the brilliance of this song lies. At this point, all the songs are the cream, so this may be the only way to choose some of the match-ups.

Hey Bulldog – Just more fun for me.

In My Life – Still #2 all time for me.  I’ll hate to see Her go, though.

Rain – Not a contest, in my book.

The following people thank Teddy Salad for this post:

sir walter raleigh

Yes, I'm livin' in hope

nutopia.jpg     

We surrender, to peace and to love

5 May 2020
9.39am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
222sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. A Day In the Life (a good argument can be made for both songs but ADITL just carries more water as an artistic and imaginative masterpiece)

2. Hey Bulldog (Overall the song is a fun and high-energy rocker that I adore that just sounds great. H! is a classic and I give it pointers for being the first song that John really utilizes as a tool to express his deeper, more personal emotions– but HB just has so much going for it! Paul’s bassline is stunning and inventive and is some of his very best work on bass; the piano itself drives the song and the madcap barking at the end just ties it all together by giving us the silly and wild side of the boys that we adore. The lyrics also are inventive despite some of the nonsense going on, and carry their own deeper message. And of course, this whole song is just a perfect representation of the Beatles ethos when the elements all come together and the boys work as a wholehearted team. H! compared to this track is just an elementary step with intermediate factors, whereas HB represents the complex reaction!) 

3. In My Life (ISHST is a fun classic, but IML really brings all the emotional appeals– just a jaw-droppingly beautiful track heart)

4. Rain (John brings us his poetic and cynical lyricism and pairs it with a wonderful psychedelic-inspired musical masterpiece– Paul’s bass bounces along as always while at the same time holds the same seductive dreamy and alluring tone as Lennon’s vocals, Ringo’s drum work is spectacular, the background vocals are perfectly Beatlesesque and make the song beautiful– pair all these elements together along with Harrison’s terrific lead guitar work and the song is a perfect and outstanding track from verse to chorus and back again. And I won’t forget the false finish of the song that swiftly brings you back again and just trips you out to wonderful new musical realms *chef’s kiss*)  

Press ‘F’ for Girl ahdn_george_05~~

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, sir walter raleigh

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

5 May 2020
9.41am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
223sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Jules, sir walter raleigh
5 May 2020
1.06pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777

Some serious thought going into this round. I like it. 

I thought I was one of the biggest AYBCS fans out there, but I guess not. This is crazy that this matchup will be close ADITL. 

Hey Bulldog – believe it or not I haven’t voted for HB yet, but I love the guitar solo , the riff, and the crazy outro

In My Life – This song is absolutely incredible 

Rain – too much goodness going on here. Huge Day Tripper fan but it doesn’t have enough to beat Rain

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

5 May 2020
2.56pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
225sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m not putting much intellectual analysis into this because my brain is lentil soup today, which is probably good because otherwise I’d wayyyyy overthink everything.

A Day In The Life vs And Your Bird Can Sing : And Your Bird Can Sing . Riff. Revolver . IDK, I never felt ADITL was “mine” in the way AYBCS or other less “overrated” (debatable, whatever, you know what I mean) songs are.

Help ! vs Hey Bulldog : Hey Bulldog duh

In My Life vs I Saw Her Standing There : In My Life . There’s very little contest here, I’m afraid.

Day Tripper vs Rain : I guess Day Tripper because nostalgia reasons.

There, are you happy now @lovelyritametermaid (you were very flattering to my ego and that overrode my disinterest in making decisions/choosing between my favorite children, so here you go, here’s my jumping-in-late vote)

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

5 May 2020
3.41pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
226sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Beatlebug You don’t have to do this if you feel forced toa-hard-days-night-paul-10

the watusi

the twist

5 May 2020
3.51pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Jules said
@Beatlebug You don’t have to do this if you feel forced toa-hard-days-night-paul-10

Hell yes, more involvement the better. If not I’m joining the Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin discussions. I once sat thru half of ‘TDSOTM’ so am quite able to show off my expertise (god! I was bored).

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid, AppleScruffJunior, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 May 2020
4.16pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

You know, when we get together to fist fight over She’s Leaving Home vs. Within You Without You we can have an extra round on behalf of Dark Side of the Moon because thAT RECORD KICKS FREAKING ASS YOU’RE GETTING ON MY BAD SIDE MISTERa-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank Jules for this post:

Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Turn Left At Greenland, meanmistermustard

the watusi

the twist

5 May 2020
4.30pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
229sp_Permalink sp_Print

A Day In The Life vs And Your Bird Can Sing

Help ! vs Hey Bulldog

In My Life vs I Saw Her Standing There

Day Tripper vs Rain

Alright, I must join the essay brigade and spill pages of virtual ink on my choices:

A Day In The Life : Okay, I absolutely love AYBCS. That riff is one of the best in the entire Beatles catalogue. Its place in Revolver is perfect. That being said…ADITL is just…it’s perfect, is all I can say. From the opening acoustic and piano to that amazing final chord (which is, in my opinion, the single best moment in the history of rock music), it’s just flawless. It’s not just a song; it’s an artistic statement on an entirely different level. I was recently reflecting on how, even though it is very much a product of its time, ADITL still holds up, so much so that I could see someone being tricked into thinking it isn’t as old as it is. It just has that kind of longevity, that kind of vitality. And of course it’s in my top 5 favorite songs, for all those reasons. 

Help !: I’m not going to write as much on this. I’ve never been into HB. I didn’t grow up with it (or any of the songs on Yellow Submarine ), so I don’t have any special connection to it. Besides, Help was a huge breakthrough for John as a songwriter: the lyrics are intensely personal and highly relatable, while the music is dissonantly upbeat and poppy (I know John didn’t like that quality, but I do). 

In My Life : While ISHST is a wonderful song, it’s not a masterpiece. That being said, I don’t think I rank In My Life as highly as most people–it’s not even my favorite song on Rubber Soul . That being said, its virtues are numerous: poignant and emotionally powerful lyrics, a gentle and yet moody instrumental base, and George Martin’s lovely solo that makes the whole thing seem truly timeless. I’m sad to vote against such a great song, but this isn’t a hard choice for me.

Day Tripper : Again, both are wonderful songs. Rain has the distinction of being sonically groundbreaking, both for the Beatles and for pop music as a whole. That being said…Day Tripper has easily the most badass riff in the entire Beatles catalogue. Plus, I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember, so that riff is almost a part of myself. This is a hard choice, but I’m confident that it’s the right choice.

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

sir walter raleigh, lovelyritametermaid, Jules

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

5 May 2020
4.31pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

^^^oops a-hard-days-night-george-4

No, @Jules, I didn’t feel forced to, I’m perfectly capable of doing whatever the hell I want no matter what anyone says a-hard-days-night-john-1 but it just so happened that what I wanted to do was please Rita because, as I said, she flattered my ego (the secret to getting me to do anything ahdn_george_06). a-hard-days-night-george-10

Edit: argh sub-Fiddy

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

5 May 2020
4.31pm
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
231sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also, if I may weigh into the other debate happening here at the moment: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON FOREVER

Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Jules, lovelyritametermaid

5 May 2020
5.32pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
232sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said
You know, when we get together to fist fight over She’s Leaving Home vs. Within You Without You we can have an extra round on behalf of Dark Side of the Moon because thAT RECORD KICKS FREAKING ASS YOU’RE GETTING ON MY BAD SIDE MISTERa-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Why fist fight? I’m giving you ’SLH’ very happily.

I’ll happily stand and state for all to hear that ’DSOTM’ is a complete waste of time. Same as reading ’The Hobbit’ (I read 99 pages and sod all happened) and the first actual ’LOTR’ film (I suffered thru disc one with someone and refused to watch the second as was delighted when I thought my torture had ended – I had grown so bored I had completely lost interest).  

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Jules, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 May 2020
5.39pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
233sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m… not comfortable having this conversationa-hard-days-night-paul-4

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

the watusi

the twist

5 May 2020
7.21pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
234sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Jules said

Why fist fight? I’m giving you ’SLH’ very happily.

I’ll happily stand and state for all to hear that ’DSOTM’ is a complete waste of time. Same as reading ’The Hobbit’ (I read 99 pages and sod all happened) and the first actual ’LOTR’ film (I suffered thru disc one with someone and refused to watch the second as was delighted when I thought my torture had ended – I had grown so bored I had completely lost interest).  

Thank you.

DSOTM is totally a waste of time, but having to read The Hobbit for school anda-hard-days-night-paul-3study ita-hard-days-night-paul-3was hideous. 

You have an army of at least one!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Jules, meanmistermustard

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

5 May 2020
8.20pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
235sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think it’s realistic to understand that DSOTM and Floyd in general for that matter is not for everyone– we all have different tastes and thus differing opinions that, while seemingly strange and outlandish at times a-hard-days-night-george-10, have a right to be respected, as this bracket challenge itself so prevalently displays through are individual votes and reasonings.  

Also, I appreciate it that those of you who detest DSOTM at least gave it a fair chance before adamantly presenting such harsh opinions. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, Beatlebug, Teddy Salad

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

6 May 2020
3.16am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777
236sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Jules

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

6 May 2020
3.25am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

sir walter raleigh said
Strawberry Fields Forever vs. Please Please Me

We Can Work It Out vs Here Comes The Sun

Twist And Shout vs. I Will

Taxman vs Norwegian Wood

It is in a state of awe that Strawberry Fields Forever must’ve left the listener back in 1967. An always moving valley of colours that proves scary yet comforting. Given it was released before Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the idea of the Beatles’ fondness for experimentation had only been toyed with in Revolver , and it wasn’t yet clear if it would be a definitive change of musical style or just a short distraction from conventional pop-rock. Strawberry Fields Forever probably was the point at which it felt official; this was the pathway that this young men were choosing. The first 90 seconds of the track mix some of the most unexpected instruments and edits in rock and roll history. An intro flute, rambling guitar arpeggios from the hand of George Harrison , tape loops and slide guitar flooding through the left channel. And onwards it gets even more outlandish. A middle string section, a bridge featuring a sitar, and finally ending horns. Strawberry Fields Forever is truly the band’s ultimate all-in. Every verse feels more violent than the one before and it builds upon the song a sense of progression that almost feels sad, as most sections of the song could make for an entire classic if they were repeated enough times. But Lennon’s ambition, and his bandmates’ as well, took this unconvincing composition and converted it into one of the most astonishing oddities of the 1960s. Please Please Me feels trapped in its era. The only edit that is noticeable harms the track by butchering the final 15 seconds, ending the song on the wrong foot. It must’ve probably been as exciting as Strawberry Fields Forever when it came out, but not for the same reasons, not for the same demographic and definitely not for the same amount of time. On the title track of their debut we hear some of the earliest brilliant harmonies Lennon & McCartney were known for as the best singing duo that ever lived. But that was also incorporated into the fourth verse of Strawberry Fields Forever , making it tie the band together in this imperfect opera that is difficult not to stare at. We get to travel through John’s childhood presented as this abstract piece of lyrics expressing magical imagery, and can only win against a suspiciously vague piece of writing featuring the line “please me, whoa yeah, like I please you”. Kind of a shallow artistic statement. As energetic and fun as the rhythm section is on Please Please Me , it can only hope to be as groovy and psychedelic as Ringo’s drumming on the Sgt. Pepper ’s Lonely Hearts Club Band sessions. One is fantastic in context but the other is timeless.

Abbey Road ’s side B has stood up as one of the best back ends of any record and it mainly owes it to the medley. But would the medley be as well received if it wasn’t for the bright punch up of Here Comes The Sun with its simplicity yet unending beauty? Most likely it would be a different story. George Harrison writes what is probably his greatest expressive piece, backed up by one the most well-rounded production an acoustic track has ever seen. Putting strings, vocal harmonies, organs and drums into a song without it sounding overblown is the mark of a good producer. It establishes the beginning of the end of the Beatles, opening the second side of their last album, and it only gains importance when the last track is called The End , and features one of the greatest career finales of all time. That was the sun, the end was the sun, and the medley was the road the sun had to travel in order to “come”. It was rewarding, and hopeful, and interesting, and essentially the last piece of work by the Fab Four. Here Comes The Sun was a prelude to all that. We Can Work It Out is a fantastic single the band worked on around the mid-60s, right before Rubber Soul ’s subtle experimentation began. This is noticeable by the percussive side of the song variating from a 32/8 tambourine insistence to a 3/4 time signature on the bridge, or the harmonium Lennon decides to flavor the song with. The vocal harmonies are excellent, and the message of the song is in essence pretty similar to Here Comes The Sun . It is a call for understanding, and letting confrontation and anger pass. Although, We Can Work It Out builds it upon a single relationship. At first it sounds like a love interest, but the duo sings “there’s no time for fuzzing and fighting, my friend”, so it could easily be about pals. It is singed in the second person and feels very close and specific. Here Comes The Sun feels bigger. It isn’t about you and me resolving problems we have between us, but resolving our problems with the entire world, and finally stepping out of a bubble of pain, feeling the sun in our face after so much time remaining in darkness. It tells a much more grandiloquent story and I’ll give it the win for it.

Between these two tracks there isn’t much poetry. “Shake it up baby, Twist And Shout ”, “Love you forever and forever, love you with all my heart”. So it is more of sonic battle. Twist And Shout presents some of the most infectious conventions in traditional pop-rock from its time. Every line in it feels like a fresh bucket of energy splashed into your face. Not once does John feel uninspired. His voice cracks all over the track in a landmark sound that not even he ever tried to imitate again, and was the result of hours of working in the studio during the short-lived Please Please Me sessions. It is a case of lightning caught in a bottle, something that only happened once and by sheer chance it ended up way better than it was intended to or could’ve resulted otherwise. I Will is a studio song, performed multiple times with edits that are constantly forcing the song to be more insightful than it really is. Even though there’s a decent progression to this two minute wonder, it feels as though McCartney is adding voices, inconsistent bits of percussion and extra guitar licks to compensate for the song not having a lot of personality in its original state. And even with the heavy production, I Will accomplishes less than a fantastic stage performance like Twist And Shout in relatively the same amount of time.

Both embody their cover arts astonishingly well. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) features relaxing but powerful acoustic performances that represents the free-flowing vibe in the misshaped cover of Rubber Soul . We are covered by green trees, desiring to get into the cabin John is visiting. Lennon wrote and performed the track, and fittingly enough he’s the only one looking straight up to the camera. It is the lyrics that impress the listener, in a pace as calculated and simple as something like Bob Dylan’s chorus-free influence in folk-rock. The sitar Harrison adds to the song gives it a rustic atmosphere that simulates the warm feeling of putting your hands by the fire. In this case, John puts his hands by the fire of a girl he will never get; there is clearly a lot of symbolism in this piece. The lyrics are short and to the point, without it feeling rushed, or badly paced. It is a precise work of wording to its maximum capacity, making it the first lyric by him that reads like the work of a poet instead of a popstar. It is the confidence in failure the narrator posses what makes the song so compelling. It is nihilistic but uncompromising. On Taxman , as much as Revolver , George Harrison is the only one looking towards us as well, in this case ready to reveal the secrets he’s been keeping about the economics of success. “Let me tell you how it would be, there one for you, nineteen for me. ‘Cause I’m the taxman”. George sounds mad, but flowing with creativity, in that sketchy, confusing black and white aesthetic. The song features metallic noises coming from the drums and bass that only deliver on the promise the album makes. The Revolver opener is an instant win for its album and surely gets hopes up for more. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), however, is more of a central piece to its tracklist, and it is the delivery something like Taxman only could prepare you for.

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh

the watusi

the twist

6 May 2020
3.33am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
238sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. Strawberry Fields Forever – no contest

2. Here Comes The Sun – I adore WCWIO but someone has to fall

3. Twist And Shout

4. Norwegian Wood – I’m sorry Taxman 🙁

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 May 2020
3.52am
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
239sp_Permalink sp_Print

What the hell was that last round??? Oh well, guess I just have to accept it and move on… 

Strawberry Fields Forever –need I say more?

We Can Work It Out –once again, I choose subjective feelings over objective qualities

Twist And Shout –the only truly great cover the Beatles ever did, though I Will is a lovely little song

Norwegian Wood –YOU’VE GOT THIS, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

Jules

6 May 2020
4.06am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
240sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turn Left At Greenland said
What the hell was that last round??? Oh well, guess I just have to accept it and move on…

I know right? dammnnnnnn. Honestly Hey Bulldog & And Your Bird Can Sing are two very weak choices to go up against each other considering how many better track were on those brackes.

the watusi

the twist

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691