Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
18 May 2022
1.06am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2129
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said
Confirmation that complete copies of episodes 5 -> 15 of ‘Pop Go The Beatles’ exist in excellent sound quality in the BBC archives, taped directly as they were originally aired back in the summer/autumn of 1963 by Margaret Ashworth. Most of the Beatles tracks we have, if not officially then on bootleg, but a lot of the chat and guest groups remain unavailable.

The most important aspect of the article in my opinion:

After the thrill of this, my husband and I had a thought: why not start a website (it’s am-records.com) to share our musical tastes?

And I thought it would be fun to put out the old programmes at 5pm on Tuesdays throughout the summer to recreate the tension of having to wait a week for the next one, so I contacted the BBC for permission to air them.

In my naivety, I thought this would be a formality, as it had been nearly 60 years since the programmes were made and I was not seeking to profit from the broadcast. 

However, a BBC operative told me that it had copies of the programmes in its archive and would ‘not approve’ the upload of my versions to any site, adding that there were ‘quite complex issues with the use of Beatles materials across BBC, or external, sites’.

I have no way of knowing whether the BBC versions are as good as mine. They may have come from one of the other six sets of CDs made at Abbey Road .

Nevertheless, after all these years, with the Beatles still extremely popular, it seems mean-spirited of the BBC not to allow these little time capsules to be broadcast, either by me or by the Corporation. I cannot believe there are copyright issues that cannot be solved.

Would be fantastic if the BBC would air the episodes, possibly for the 60th anniversary of the series next year – surely they can find a way to get the relevant permissions.

This type of news is always exciting. Glad to hear it, and indeed, fingers crossed for a release.

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Rube, KyleKartan, Richard

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

30 May 2022
8.55am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
3902sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure this is the right thread, but I really wanted to share this video

Paul in Orlando, lightning storm happening overhead during Helter Skelter.
byu/derfmilnan inbeatles

The following people thank meaigs for this post:

sigh butterfly, Rube, Richard, Timothy, vonbontee

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

11 June 2022
8.32pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The remaining dates on this leg of Ringo’s tour have been postponed until later in the year. When Edgar Winter was diagnosed with Covid on 7 June they tried to carry on, but with Steve Lukather having also been diagnosed with Covid, the remaining twelve dates of the 22 will be added to the next leg of the tour in September.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 June 2022
3.12am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The 3 McCartney albums are being issued as a box set on 5 August.

McCartney-Box-Set.jpgImage Enlarger

The eponymous solo albums written, performed, and produced by Paul McCartney from 1970, 1980, and 2020. Includes 3 CDs with 3 limited edition photo prints and an introduction from Paul in a beautiful slipcase box.

Written, performed, and produced entirely by Paul McCartney , his three eponymous career-spanning solo albums (1970’s McCartney, 1980’s McCartney II , and 2020’s McCartney III ) will now be packaged together and available in one special boxset for the first time.

McCartney I II III box set will be available in three different formats – Limited Edition Color Vinyl, Black Vinyl Edition, and CD – each including three special photo prints with notes from Paul about each album. The newly created boxset cover art and typography for the slipcase are by Ed Ruscha.

Bookending 50 years of unparalleled work, each album demonstrates Paul McCartney ’s restless creativity and adventurous artistic spirit. McCartney, the Number One Album was Paul’s first solo album released in 1970 and features timeless tracks “Every Night ” and “Junk,” along with the immortal classic “Maybe I’m Amazed.” This album saw a global music superstar pioneer a novel homespun approach to recording that would, in time, become a sought-after sound and the highly influential precursor to the “lo-fi” alternative genre.

Just as McCartney marked the end of an era with Paul’s first release after leaving the biggest band in history, Paul did it again in 1980, this time signaling the end of 70s rock giants Wings. Taking a fresh approach to things, Paul wrote, performed, and produced the avant-garde masterpiece McCartney II , which reached Number One in the UK, and Number 3 in the US, producing such classics as “Coming Up ,” “Waterfalls,” and “Temporary Secretary .”

With McCartney III Paul went back to basics again to create some of his most revealing work to date. Released in December 2020, just two years after Paul’s Billboard-topping Egypt Station album, “Rockdown,” saw Paul turn unexpected time on his hands into an opportunity to get into the studio on his own. An intimate and loose record featuring “Find My Way” and the now live favorite “Women and Wives,” McCartney III features Paul’s melodic gift at its forefront throughout. Upon release, McCartney III charted at Number One on the UK’s Official Album Charts and Number One on Billboard’s Top Album Sales Chart.

In an unrivaled career, Paul has always been willing to take risks and have fun along the way – his musical projects have included classical albums, electronic albums, ballet scores, writing for video games, and left-field collaborations — along the way, breaking chart records, box office records, winning countless awards and remaining one of the world’s most influential and revered artists of all time. McCartney, McCartney II , and McCartney III captured and documented landmark moments of his singular career, each offering a personal snapshot of a unique artist at a particular moment in time.

The coloured vinyl edition is clear, white and creamy white.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 June 2022
12.07pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
3905sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can buy all three McCartney albums on Amazon for £26 separately yet the box set is just under £40. I get that it’s new and so is more expensive but surely it would make sense to have the box slightly cheaper so it’s more appealing to purchase; even if each album was £10 each you still would be paying £10 for the extras. Yes, you get some limited edition gumpf but it’s not worth £10 more.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Rube

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 July 2022
10.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Mark Lewisohn will be back with a new Beatles shows in October – ‘Evolver62‘.

Back in pre-COVIOD 2019, Mark Lewisohn toured his ‘Hornsey Road’ one-man show about the ‘Abbey Road ’ album on its 50th anniversary. Now, on October 7 and 8, he’ll be commemorating the 60th anniversary of Love Me Do ’s release with three performances of a brand new two-hour production at London’s Bloomsbury Theatre.

Evolver:62 will see him dip into his own archive to speed-deliver 62 short stories about The Beatles’ 1962: a concept he intends to continue with, next year, 63 history bites about 1963, followed by 64 about 1964 and so on, all the way to the end.

The shows: Friday, 7th October at 7:30pm; Saturday 8th October at 2:30pm and 7:30pm.

Tickets go on sale this Friday, 29th July, at 10:00am (UK).

ucl.ac.uk/culture/bloomsbury-theatre-studio

There is also a video on Mr Lewisohn’s Twitter page showing one of the photo discussions. 

Rube

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 August 2022
12.38pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

American Beatles magazine Beatlefan are saying on their Facebook page they’ve a couple of sources who are suggesting a multi-disc Revolver  is on the way, with a possible release date of 26 or 28 October, and that the Ultimate version of Some Time In New York City  will appear on 9 October. Both are unconfirmed rumours.

https://www.facebook.com/plugi…..;width=500

Giles Martin said in an interview with Rolling Stone last year that the technology wasn’t quite there yet to do Revolver  justice so far as being able to separate the tracks, but Giles has obfuscated in the past about what’s planned next during the course of these Deluxe releases, and we know Peter Jackson made quite the leap forward in being able to separate the the sound on the mono Nagra tapes for Get Back .

Revolver  would be an interesting one as there aren’t too many circulating outtakes from the sessions (officially or unofficially) allowing for the opportunity to surprise.

It was looking like the Ultimate Some Time in NYC might have been shelved, but as we know with John releases, 9 October would make sense as his birthday is often used to make releases.

meaigs, Timothy, Richard, Rube, WeepingAtlasCedars

5 August 2022
5.32pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3908sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wouldn’t it be strange for both releases to be out within three weeks of each other? Tho many casual fans won’t care about ‘STINYC’, it might make more sense for a ‘Revolver ’ set to come out in mid to late November where it gets the Christmas market sales immediately and let’s John’s set have a bit more time to breathe.
Tho suppose you could argue that everyone would opt for ‘Revolver ’ so will a few extra weeks make much differerence?

Here’s hoping that a deluxe ‘Revolver ’ will reverse the trend of the box sets as ‘Let It Be ’ was the continuation of a real drop in terms of content and interest. There is so much scope with the sets to really immerse the hardcore fans yet with ‘Let It Be ’ and ‘Abbey Road ’ it felt more a matter of ‘must we? Well ok, here you go’ and we got scraps. 

Richard, Rube

5 August 2022
6.31pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3909sp_Permalink sp_Print

Though the Lennon Estate scheduling the Ultimate NYC so close to Revolver  might give the Lennon Estate a reason to offer as to why NYC doesn’t sell that well in comparison to the Ultimate editions of JL/POB and Imagine . Or to argue it exceeded expectations given the problematic nature and reputation of the album and its close proximity to a Revolver  deluxe.

29 August 2022
2.07am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

Ron Nasty said https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..2/#p369033

{& look at the post after that one}

Brian-Epstein-Statue-Original.jpgImage Enlarger

YES! If that looks like a statue of Brian Epstein, my fellow Forumpudlians, it’s because it bloody is! brian-epstein

Brian-Epstein-Statue-Face.jpgImage Enlarger

After years of rumour, along with crowdfunding by the Brian Epstein Legacy Project, a planning application has been submitted to Liverpool City Council by the Liverpool BID Company for a nearly two metre tall bronze statue to be placed strolling down Whitechapel, not far from the former site of NEMS record store, on the corner of Button Street, heading in the direction of The Cavern, or maybe the Pier Head.

Proposed-Location.jpgImage Enlarger

Designed by Andy Edwards, also designer of the statues of The Beatles on the Pier Head, as well as the statue of Cilla Black outside The Cavern, who’s said:

The design, if I’m not spoiling the surprise, is intended to be in the same style as our Beatles statues and relates to them not only in the walking pose, but it maps the short journey Brian would take to The Cavern from his NEMS office, or maybe to meet his boys on the waterfront.

He could also of course be off to see Gerry, Billy, Tommy, Michael or Cilla.

He is such a connective part of musical and cultural history, and he will always be remembered as a very proud part of our identity as the most creatively original, beautifully diverse and warmly caring place you can visit.

Tony Calderstone, who has been behind the project, remarks:

I’m absolutely delighted our campaign has paid off. This is a tribute to the hard work, enthusiasm and tenacity of our committee who have spent five years working towards this goal. We were further boosted by strategic and developmental support from our partner Ralph Kluseman from the Iowa Rock And Roll Music Association.

The Epstein family have supported us from the start, and I’m made up we’re able to repay that faith by confirming that Brian will finally be justly honoured in his hometown with a wonderful statue by renowned sculptor Andy Edwards. This will be another world-class addition to Liverpool’s Beatle statue trail and overall cultural offer.

And we’re not stopping here. We’ll continue our fundraising efforts to secure a wider legacy by working towards the creation of a musical instrument library for underprivileged youngsters in the city, and other educational opportunities. We have other great ideas, so keep watching out for us.

More than 50 years after his death, Brian’s impact on the world is still being felt in so many ways. We’re honoured and humbled to have played a small part in recognising that.

Bill Addy, CEO of the Liverpool BID Company, added:

Liverpool is a city of performers and creative talent, but its cultural sector is also driven by people like Brian Epstein who see talent and champion it, who support our artists, who promote them and advocate for them. You would never have The Beatles if it wasn’t for Brian Epstein and this statue is not simply to immortalise him, but also those countless thousands who make being an artist possible in this country.

Not only a long overdue tribute to a man whose faith and belief in his artists saw Britain, swiftly followed by the rest of the world, changed forever, it will also be the first statue of an LGBT figure in the city centre.

The city council are expected to rule on the planning application in the next few weeks, though I would suggest it is more-or-less a done deal, and that there would be shock and amazement were it to be turned down.

john-lennon-salute_gifpaul-mccartney-thumb_gifa-hard-days-night-george-4a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

heartheartheartheartheart

The statue was unveiled yesterday https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-en…..e-62685817

A statue of Brian Epstein, the manager of The Beatles, has been unveiled in front of a large crowd in Liverpool.

The sculpture is located near the former site of his family’s NEMS record shop in Whitechapel.

Epstein is credited with smartening up The Fab Four’s stage performances, their appearance and style.

Tommy Calderbank, from the Brian Epstein Legacy Project, said: “I just feel it’s really important to mark the people who made The Beatles.”

The statue’s unveiling marked the 55th anniversary of Epstein’s death on 27 August 1967.

126465772_epstein-nc.jpgImage Enlarger

Another reason to go back to Liverpool!

Whitechapel-Button-Street.JPGImage Enlarger

The story from the Liverpool Echo https://www.liverpoolecho.co.u…..n-24870030

Hundreds of people gathered in Liverpool city centre for the unveiling of a new Brian Epstein statue.

Crowds lined Whitechapel this morning ahead of the unveiling which comes on International Beatle Week. Epstein, who would have been 88, became The Beatles manager in 1961 after seeing them play in the Cavern Club.

The new statue will celebrate his legacy and stand at the corner of Button Street and Whitechapel. Crowds sang Beatles hits including Help ! Twist And Shout and Hey Jude as the statue was unveiled.

It was sculpted by Andy Edwards, also responsible for The Fab Four statue of John, Paul, George and Ringo at Liverpool’s Pier Head. Made from bronze by Castle Foundry of Liverpool, the statue measures 1.94m. Born in Liverpool in 1934, Epstein also played a key role in the city’s wider music scene which included acts such as Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, The Moody Blues and The Chants.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Ron Nasty, Richard, WeepingAtlasCedars, Rube
29 August 2022
3.07am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3911sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good to see it unveiled. Less than a year between the planning application going in and it being in place, not bad going. And exactly where they wanted it sited.

I do like the way they do their statues in Liverpool, just strolling the streets of the city, an echo of the past, rather than up on plinths as something other. Further up Whitechapel you can see John Moore whose purchase of a Stuart Sutcliffe painting bought the Beatles a bass guitar.

Richard, Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars, Rube

29 August 2022
8.37am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
3912sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s an absolutely gorgeous likeness. 

The following people thank meaigs for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Richard, Rube

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

8 September 2022
3.33pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1395
3913sp_Permalink sp_Print

The statue looks amazing. I hope to see it next time I’m in Liverpool. 

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

14 September 2022
3.41pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3914sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday it was announced, following his 12th parole hearing on 31 August, that the arsehole who shot John, denying the world of so much, has again had it turned down. It is another two years before he can apply again. The transcript of the hearing and the parole board’s reason for turning it down have yet to be released.

It is always one of my favourite posts in the News thread when, after another of his bi-annual attempts to get parole, I’m able to confirm the shit stays locked up.

Timothy, KyleKartan, Rube

3 October 2022
6.40pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3915sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringo has Covid and his tour dates have been cancelled again:

TOUR DATES CANCELED

Monday, October 3, 2022 Los Angeles, CA – Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band were forced to cancel their recent shows at Four Winds Casino in New Buffalo Michigan and at Mystic Lake Casino in Prior Lake, MN due to illness. It has been confirmed today that Ringo has Covid and the tour will be on hold while Ringo recuperates.

As of today the following shows have been canceled:

October 2 Prior Lake, MN – Mystic Lake Casino
October 4 Winnipeg, Manitoba – Canada Life Centre
October 5 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – Sasktel Centre
October 6 Lethbridge, Alberta – Enmax Centre
October 8 Abbotsford, BC – Abbotsford Centre
October 9 Penticton, BC – South Okanagon Events Centre

Ringo hopes to resume as soon as possible and is recovering at home. As always, he and the All Starrs send peace and love to their fans and hope to see them back out on the road soon.

Here’s hoping for a swift recovery.

heartheartheart

Richard, Rube

3 October 2022
7.38pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
3916sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, get well, Ringo!

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Richard, Rube
4 October 2022
5.02pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1395
3917sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope you get well soon Ringo! heart

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Richard, Ahhh Girl

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

10 October 2022
8.33pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Ringo’s had a negative test and the All-Starrs are back on the road tomorrow…

meaigs, Richard, Rube

11 October 2022
1.41pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2129
3919sp_Permalink sp_Print

Relieved to see this. Peace and love, Ringo.

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

13 October 2022
1.20am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Timothy

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691