Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
29 November 2021
10.36am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3841sp_Permalink sp_Print

In among all the GB excitement no doubt, seems we missed the Grammy nominations on 23 November.

Paul received two nominations: Best Rock Song (category 14 on the Grammy listing) for Find My Way, while McCartney III  gets the nod for Best Rock Album (category 15).

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

KyleKartan, Ahhh Girl, Rube, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

1 December 2021
9.54am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3842sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tony Japanese said
George Harrison ‘s childhood home – 25 Upton Green, Speke is up for auction.

Link

It sold to an American Beatles fan for £171,000. A reasonable amount above the £113,325 average for the area at a time prices there are falling, with a 1.36% decrease since August. Let’s hope they have plans for it beyond getting a tenant.

Rube

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 December 2021
12.29pm
Old Soak
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
3843sp_Permalink sp_Print

News on release of Mal Evans’ diaries in 2023 – and story from the rooftop

Let him be: how McCartney saved roadie from arrest after Beatles final concert (msn.com)

The following people thank Old Soak for this post:

Rube, Richard
13 December 2021
4.38am
Old Soak
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
3844sp_Permalink sp_Print

I cant recall ever seeing any comment or even the name of the policemen on the rooftop before.

Cop who stopped The Beatles’ last ever gig on roof of Apple HQ ‘has no regrets’

The former policeman who halted The Beatles’ final live performance does not regret his actions.

PC Ray Dagg was just 19 when he was sent to Apple HQ in London to stop the roof-top gig in 1969.

He threatened to arrest the band if they did not halt the performance after complaints – and the Fab Four never performed live as a group again.

Now the focus has fallen on Ray in the new Peter Jackson series Get Back .

It draws from material captured for Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s 1970 documentary Let It Be , including the historic gig.

Ray, now 72, said: “It was just work, and it’s blown up into all this. I didn’t know they’d never play together again.

“At least there’s something on a film somewhere that will forever show that PC Ray Dagg shut down the Beatles. If that’s my lasting image of life, that’s not bad.”

Ray’s moment of fame is captured in Jackson’s Disney+ documentary of the band working on Let It Be , their last studio album.

He was sent with PC Ray Shayler to stop the gig on Savile Row, which had caused traffic chaos.

Ray recalled spotting a microphone hidden in a flowerpot and explained: “I said to Shayler we had better be on our best behaviour because we’re being filmed.”

The officers eventually got onto the roof, where Paul McCartney could be seen grinning as he spotted them.

Ray told the band’s manager they would be arrested unless they stopped but he could not have acted as they were on private property, saying: “Well, I was running a bluff on it.”

But would he have followed through with his threat?

He replied: “At 19, I was pretty gung-ho and I think I probably might have and taken the flak afterwards for wrongful arrest.”

Ray, not a Beatles fan, was offered £3,000 by the film-makers but could not accept the cash, though he added: “If I knew then what I know now, I’d have resigned and taken the money.”

Dagg quit the police in 1975 and had a successful career in sales.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/ente…..d=msedgntp

The following people thank Old Soak for this post:

Richard, Ahhh Girl, Rube
13 December 2021
9.48am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3845sp_Permalink sp_Print

^

Dagg quit the police in 1975 and had a successful career in sales.

And so I quit the police department
And got myself a steady job

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Richard, Rube, ewe2, meaigs
16 December 2021
11.48am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Music Rising is a charity originally set up by U2 guitarist The Edge and producer Bob Ezrin in 2005 to support musicians in the Gulf Coast region of the US in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. They have recently held a couple of auctions of guitars donated by musicians to support Gulf Coast musicians hit by Covid.

Among those donated instruments auctioned at the most recent auction, “Guitar Icons: A Musical Instrument Auction to Benefit Music Rising”, held at Van Eaton Galleries in Los Angeles on 11 December, was Paul’s 1979 Yamaha BB-1200 bass guitar (mainly used live and in the studio from the late-70s through the 80s, when his Hofner came out of retirement):

Paul-McCartneys-Yamaha-BB-1200-bass-guitar.jpgImage Enlarger

The auction catalogue set the opening bid at $20,000:

auction-catalogue.jpgImage Enlarger

It eventually sold for $496,100 (£374,905), making it the most expensive bass guitar ever sold at auction, breaking the previous record of $384,000 (£290,190) made by Bill Wyman’s 1969 Fender Mustang bass last year.

Though it’ll never happen, does make you wonder what Paul’s Hofner or Rickenbacker 4001S would get if ever auctioned.

The Hole Got Fixed, Richard, Rube, WeepingAtlasCedars

9 January 2022
7.52pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

On 5 April 1963 The Beatles were presented with their first silver disc for sales of 250,000 of the Please Please Me  single at EMI House:

5-April-1963-1.jpegImage Enlarger

They also gave a private performance for EMI executives:

5-April-1963-2.jpgImage Enlarger

5-April-1963-3.jpgImage Enlarger

5-April-1963-4.jpgImage Enlarger

5-April-1963-5.jpgImage Enlarger

The Daily Beatle reports that previously unknown recordings of the then unreleased From Me To You  and Please Please Me  from that performance have appeared on the interweb.

Can’t link to them directly here because the link contains a download link, but if you go to the DB article, the link included in tweet from Mark R. Jones takes you to this newly discovered recording.

Shows how there’s still unknown things out there just being discovered 50/60 years later.

Richard, Rube, PauliesGirl

10 January 2022
5.55pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

The performance is currently on Youtube, no idea how long for tho. It’s great to hear the Beatles so relaxed in full PR mode agreeing to pictures.

t=304s

I think it’s incredible how such recordings are appearing; was this performance being recorded even known about before it surfaced? Imagine sitting on this for decades and only letting a select few hear it; imagine what else is out there sitting in people’s vaults.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Rube, PauliesGirl

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 January 2022
10.20am
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1395
3849sp_Permalink sp_Print

Julian is selling Beatles and John memorabilia as NFTs. The online auction will be held on Monday 7th February.

The Beatles and John Lennon memorabilia to be sold as NFTs – BBC News

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Let It Bleed

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

25 January 2022
1.12pm
Let It Bleed
On the pavement thinking ‘bout the government
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 89
3850sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rube said
Julian is selling Beatles and John memorabilia as NFTs. The online auction will be held on Monday 7th February.

Another person falls in that cesspool. Nirvana NFTs were bad enough.a-hard-days-night-paul-3

GET BACK IS HERE!

cool Beatles sites: good ‘ol Alan  nice song-by-song  and of course this place

Tied for most likely to derail a thread 2021 (don’t know how to post images on my sig, mods help)

25 January 2022
5.36pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

John Lennon ‘s eldest son Julian is selling several pieces of music history from his personal collection.

However, he will keep the physical items as each piece of memorabilia will be sold as a non-fungible token (NFT)

….

Each NFT will be offered as an audio-visual collectible, with narration by Julian Lennon alongside imagery of the item.

I have no idea how NFTs work despite reading about them numerous times. You buy John’s coat but Julian keeps it and you get, what? A recording from Julian and a piece of paper? Nope. Totally lost. If I buy John’s coat that’s what I want, not something else.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 January 2022
11.52am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Several Get Back  announcements have been made by Apple, including that the rooftop concert will be made available for streaming on Apple Music, Spotify and Deezer (no idea if it’s for a limited time or will remain available) later today for those in the US (9pm PST/12am EST) and tomorrow for those in the UK and one would assume the rest of Europe (5am GMT).

Mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, it will be available in three audio formats iTunes master, High Definition audio and Dolby Atmos.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, have announced an exhibit titled The Beatles: Get Back to Let It Be will open on 18 March and run through to March next year.

There are also other events to celebrate the anniversary of the rooftop concert detailed in the statement:

THE BEATLES GET BACK-THE ROOFTOP PERFORMANCE

COMPLETE, NEWLY MIXED AUDIO TO DEBUT FOR GLOBAL STREAMING

The Beatles’ Legendary 1969 Rooftop Concert Audio is Newly Mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell in Stereo and Dolby Atmos

New Streaming Release Leads the Celebration for This Sunday’s 53rd Anniversary of The Beatles’ Final Live Performance Atop Their Apple Corps Headquarters in London

Los Angeles | London – January 27, 2022 – On January 30, 1969, The Beatles famously staged their final live performance on the rooftop of their Apple Corps headquarters in London’s Savile Row. This Sunday’s 53rd anniversary will be celebrated with an exciting slate of special releases, events and announcements, with The Beatles leading the charge. For the first time, the complete audio for the band’s legendary rooftop performance has been mixed in stereo and Dolby Atmos by Giles Martin and Sam Okell. Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe will debut The Beatles: Get Back -The Rooftop Performance for global streaming tonight at 9pm PST / 12am EST (tomorrow at 5am GMT).

Fans around the world have been exploring The Beatles’ January 1969 sessions and rooftop performance with last fall’s celebrated release of the band’s remixed, expanded Let It Be Special Edition (Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe), Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back ” docuseries (Disney/Apple Corps Ltd./WingNut), and the collectible hardcover book also titled The Beatles: Get Back (Apple Corps Ltd./Callaway). The raw sources explored for the new projects have revealed that a more joyous, benevolent spirit imbued the sessions than was conveyed in the 1970 Let It Be film’s 80 minutes, while also shining a new, warmer light on the Let It Be album.

In addition to the streaming release for The Beatles: Get Back -The Rooftop Performance, the anniversary celebration for The Beatles’ electrifying rooftop performance will continue with several more exciting announcements, tributes, and events:

Today, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announces a groundbreaking featured exhibit, titled The Beatles: Get Back to Let It Be , set to open on March 18, 2022 and run through March 2023. An immersive complement to Peter Jackson’s “Get Back ” docuseries, the multimedia exhibit will welcome fans to step into The Beatles’ January 1969 rehearsals, sessions, and witness the band’s final rooftop performance, surrounded by large-scale projections and superior sound. The scene is thrillingly set with original instruments, clothing, handwritten lyrics, and other unique items, including several on loan directly from Beatles principals. Special events to be hosted by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame during the exhibit’s run, including interviews, film screenings, panels, and more will be announced throughout the year.

Tomorrow (Friday, January 28), Norah Jones will release two rooftop tribute performance videos of Beatles songs from the Let It Be album, recently filmed with her band on the rooftop of New York’s Empire State Building. The two performances, “I’ve Got A Feeling ” and “Let It Be ,” will debut on Norah Jones’ YouTube Channel tomorrow at 9am PST / 12pm EST / 5pm GMT.

On SiriusXM, The Beatles Channel will debut “The Rooftop Concert Special” tomorrow at 11am EST, presenting The Beatles’ entire rooftop performance with commentary by Beatles historian, author, and radio producer Kevin Howlett. The special will re-air throughout the weekend on The Beatles Channel and will also be available to stream on the SXM App.

This Saturday, January 29, The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil will debut a rooftop performance tribute video for “Get Back ” (LOVE Version), featuring cast members from the acclaimed stage production, now in its 15th year of wowing audiences at The Mirage Las Vegas. The performance video will debut on Cirque du Soleil’s YouTube Channel at 6am PST / 9am EST / 2pm GMT. A behind-the-scenes/making-of video for the cast’s rooftop tribute performance will debut an hour later on the channel at 7am PST / 10am EST / 3pm GMT.

This Sunday, January 30, the 53rd anniversary of The Beatles’ rooftop performance, Disney/Apple Corps Ltd./WingNut will present a special screening event exclusively at IMAX theaters in the US and UK of “The Beatles: Get Back -The Rooftop Concert.” The 60-minute feature presents The Beatles’ complete rooftop performance following a brief introduction. The special event screenings will begin with an exclusive filmmaker Q&A at 12pm PST / 3pm EST / 8pm GMT. The concert, which features in its entirety in the Disney+ original docuseries “The Beatles: Get Back ,” is optimized for IMAX screens, digitally remastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Remastering) technology. Tickets for the Exclusive IMAX Event Screening and Filmmaker Q&A are on sale at: tickets.imax.com.

It’s a wonderful time to be a Beatles fan, as the world shares in the celebration of the band’s innovative and inspiring creativity captured so vividly in January 1969.

THE BEATLES: GET BACK-THE ROOFTOP PERFORMANCE

Audio: Stereo / Dolby Atmos [TRT: 40:00]
Get Back ” (Take 1)
Get Back ” (Take 2)
“Don’t Let Me Down” (Take 1)
I’ve Got A Feeling ” (Take 1)
One After 909
Dig A Pony
Jam/excerpt of “God Save The Queen” (tape change interlude)
I’ve Got A Feeling ” (Take 2)
“Don’t Let Me Down” (Take 2)
Get Back ” (Take 3)

Rock-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-The-Bearles-Get-Back-to-Let-It-Be.jpgImage Enlarger

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announcement:

ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME WELCOMES FANS TO STEP INTO THE BEATLES’ JANUARY 1969 SESSIONS WITH GROUNDBREAKING NEW EXHIBITION

The Featured Exhibit is an Immersive Complement to Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back ” Docuseries

Experience one of the most iconic moments of the 20th Century by stepping inside The Beatles’ January 1969 rehearsals, studio sessions, and legendary Apple Corps rooftop concert, the band’s final live performance. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s newest exhibition, The Beatles: Get Back to Let It Be , opens March 18, 2022.

This groundbreaking exhibition curated by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an immersive complement to Peter Jackson’s docuseries, “The Beatles: Get Back .”

“The Beatles have had a massive, global impact across generations. We are excited to welcome a diverse mix of fans from around the world to experience this exhibit and are grateful for the support of Paul McCartney , Ringo Starr , the estates of John Lennon and George Harrison , Apple Corps Ltd., and Peter Jackson for helping us tell this important story,” said Greg Harris, President & CEO, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Fans will experience The Beatles’ creative journey through the exhibit’s original instruments, clothing, and handwritten lyrics used by The Beatles and seen in the film, including items loaned directly by Paul McCartney , Ringo Star, and the estates of George Harrison and John Lennon . The exhibit will feature high-definition film clips, audio, and custom projections, transporting fans into The Beatles’ vibrant world of January 1969.

Some of the exhibit’s unique items include:

– Paul McCartney ‘s black and gray shirt that was worn in the studio and handwritten lyrics for “I’ve Got A Feeling .”
 – Ringo Starr ‘s maple Ludwig drum kit and his borrowed red raincoat from the rooftop performance.
 – John Lennon ‘s iconic eyeglasses, Wrangler jacket, an Epiphone electric guitar, and handwritten lyrics for “Dig A Pony .”
 – George Harrison ‘s pink pinstripe suit and handwritten lyrics for “I Me Mine .”

Fans will also enjoy audio engineer, producer, and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee Glyn Johns’ record acetate from the sessions and iconic photography by Linda McCartney and by Ethan Russell, who documented the band’s January 1969 rehearsals, sessions, and rooftop performance, and whose photos are featured in the Let It Be  album art. 

Like Jackson’s “Get Back ” docuseries, the exhibit shows how The Beatles composed and recorded many of their iconic songs from scratch. The exhibit’s three screening rooms feature a selection of footage from each location from the docuseries: Twickenham, Apple Studios, and the Apple Corps rooftop. The footage from the recording sessions and conversations turn the clock back to 1969, showing the intimacy, joyousness, and humor as The Beatles write and record songs for Let It Be  and some songs featured on Abbey Road  and future solo albums.

While the new exhibit is brimming with some of The Beatles’ fashion-forward ensembles, check out the Rock Hall’s online store and in the museum shop for an expansive collection of The Beatles apparel, accessories, multimedia, and more, including new apparel inspired by The Beatles, with fresh product arriving through the year.

Are you a Beatlemaniac? Or inspired by their music? Few musicians have influenced pop culture and the music industry as much as The Beatles. Rock Hall EDU, a free online education platform that has reached over 1.1 million students worldwide, explores The Beatles’ story with a new collection inspired by Let It Be . Visit rockhall.com to access the free resources.

KyleKartan, Rube, WeepingAtlasCedars

27 January 2022
12.47pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3853sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rube said

It’s made me very annoyed at Julian, all his preaching about environmentalism and taking care of the planet and here he is selling NFTs, which consume a ton of energy every time they’re sold. 

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

1 February 2022
10.24am
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1395
3854sp_Permalink sp_Print

‘The Beatles: Get Back To Let It Be ‘ exhibition sounds amazing! I hope everyone who goes has a splendid time. 

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

15 February 2022
6.50am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3855sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not officially announced by Paul yet but it looks like he’s about to hit the stage for the first time since the pandemic began with TicketSmarter showing him playing the Siminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Fort Lauderdale in Florida on 24 May…

back-on-the-road.jpgImage Enlarger

Are we about to get a string of dates announced?

Richard, Rube, Ahhh Girl

15 February 2022
6.58am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
3856sp_Permalink sp_Print

beatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank meaigs for this post:

Rube

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

15 February 2022
3.01pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3857sp_Permalink sp_Print

And this set the thought running, with Glastonbury yet to confirm a headliner for the Saturday night on June’s return of the festival, and with Paul meant to have been headlining at the cancelled 2020 festival, might we get him following Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds (already confirmed) onstage on the Saturday night, maybe with Noel joining him for a couple of numbers?

US dates May going into June, a couple of UK dates before Glastonbury, leading up to him headlining the UK’s biggest festival as he was meant to before the world stopped? I can imagine him walking nonchalantly onstage, glancing at his watch, apologising for being two years late, then ripping into something wild – Helter Skelter , Jet , Rockshow – to celebrate him and us being back in the world again.

Richard, The Hole Got Fixed, Rube

15 February 2022
4.17pm
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
3858sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have never in my life considered going to Glastonbury before, but that sounds incredible.

Rube

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

18 February 2022
9.03am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members

North American tour confirmed on Paul’s official website:

https://www.paulmccartney.com/…..-back-tour

beatles ASSES | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | TumgirImage Enlarger

Got Back is right ahdn_john_08_gif

Rube

18 February 2022
9.18am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3860sp_Permalink sp_Print

gotback_plakat.jpegImage Enlarger

“I said at the end of the last tour that I’d see you next time. I said I was going to get back to you. Well, I got back!” – Paul

Timothy, Ahhh Girl, Richard, Rube

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl, Timothy, LucyInTheSkyWithHackneyDiamonds
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694