Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
30 March 2021
2.59am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3781sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ahhh Girl, when I click on your link to the Yoko book it goes to the site homepage, if I copy and paste the link it comes up broken.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 March 2021
8.31am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3782sp_Permalink sp_Print

Working link to the article AG posted.

David Sheff has his connections to the subject, and it’ll likely be an interesting read, but “definitive”? We’ll have to wait and see. Every biography is trailed as being the “definitive”. No one’s gonna talk up their product by saying it’s alright or better than average, it’s always gonna be definitive.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 April 2021
3.43pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3783sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unseen letters John, Paul and George sent to Astrid are going up for auction as are other items they sent to Astrid. Unrelated photos from their time in Germany are also up for sale in the same auction.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 April 2021
3.52pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3784sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Guardian report that several letters written to Astrid Kirchherr by members of the Beatles will be auctioned by Bonhams on 5 May (catalogue not yet available, so I’ll post a link when available).

One of the most moving letters is one from John in October 1962, after Stuart’s death, which opens with a typical “Yes, it’s me – John Winston.” before movingly telling her:

I’m really sorry you are so sad and uncertain about yourself. You must know that Cyn, I and the other Beatles will always feel the same about you. You will always be Stuart’s Astrid to us.

It’ll be interesting to see the letters once the catalogue is published, though a couple are included in the article.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 April 2021
4.01pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3785sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Unseen letters John, Paul and George sent to Astrid are going up for auction as are other items they sent to Astrid. Unrelated photos from their time in Germany are also up for sale in the same auction.

I wonder what relative/friend of Astrid’s is selling them. She’s barely cold and they’re up for auction already.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

5 April 2021
5.13pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3786sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AppleScruffJunior said

meanmistermustard said

I wonder what relative/friend of Astrid’s is selling them. She’s barely cold and they’re up for auction already.

I believe they are letters she sold privately in the 80s/90s to a collector on condition they would not be made public or resold until after her death.

6 April 2021
12.53pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3787sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s a bit more comforting at least….

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 May 2021
7.35am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The Royal Mail in the UK have announced they are honouring Paul with a set of twelve stamps to be issued on 28 May.

Eight of the stamps will depict album covers:

Paul-McCartney-Pres-Pack-visual.jpgImage Enlarger

while a mini sheet of stamps will feature shots of Paul in the studio:

Paul-McCartney-Miniature-sheet.jpgImage Enlarger

Paul becomes the third solo artist to have a dedicated set of stamps (following David Bowie in 2017 and Elton John in 2019).

The Beatles had a dedicated set of 10 stamps in 2007:

Beatles-Royal-Mail-Stamps-2007-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Beatles-Royal-Mail-Stamps-2007-2.jpgImage Enlarger

(Only the second set of stamps to feature living people after the Royal Mail changed its rules in 2005 which prevented the depiction of any living person other than the Monarch or members of the Royal Family, the first set commemorating the England cricket teams victory in the 2005 Ashes.)

This puts Paul in the unique position of having a set of dedicated stamps to commemorate his career as a member of a band and another set to mark his solo career.

David Gold from the Royal Mail said:

Paul McCartney remains a vital figure at the centre of rock and pop – an artist whose legacy is immense, but whose work continues to generate popular attention and critical acclaim. This dedicated stamp issue is a fitting tribute to one of the UK’s much loved and revered musical icons.

They will be issued in multiple versions, from sheets of stamps to first day covers, from presentation packs to framed editions.

Richard, Ahhh Girl, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

12 May 2021
11.10pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame have announced those to be inducted this year, and Billy Preston is among three receiving the “Musical Excellence Award”. No doubt his time as a “Fifth Beatle” played its part. Billy really should have been in there years ago, and a shame he’s not around to see it.

Richard

21 May 2021
6.57am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3790sp_Permalink sp_Print

Abbey Road Studios are doing an Open House event between 9-15 August, as part of their 90th anniversary celebrations. Covid-secure tours will be given of Studios One, Two and Three, along with their control rooms and Studio Two’s Echo Chamber. Historic recording consoles and instruments from their equipment store will also be on display.

Focusing on the history of the studio, The Beatles are bound to loom large, and while they do open their doors to the public occasionally, this is the first time a tour will take in all three original studios (all of which The Beatles recorded in).

Ticket prices are hefty, £100 plus fees, but gives unprecedented access to where so many of The Beatles songs were recorded.

Richard, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

21 May 2021
9.19am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3791sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wonder what Beatles instruments will be on display, as so many of them haven’t been seen since the 1960’s like Paul’s Fender Esquire, George’s 2nd Rickenbacker 12-string, and Paul’s 1st Hofner violin bass.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

sir walter raleigh

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

21 May 2021
9.46am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
3792sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
I wonder what Beatles instruments will be on display, as so many of them haven’t been seen since the 1960’s like Paul’s Fender Esquire, George’s 2nd Rickenbacker 12-string, and Paul’s 1st Hofner violin bass.

Will there definitely be any of the Beatles’ instruments on display, save for those that were ‘owned’ by Abbey Road /EMI in the first place? Also, isn’t Paul’s first violin bass the one that went missing? Imagine the headlines if it turned up in one of the cupboards!

21 May 2021
10.41am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3793sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, @Tony Japanese, the missing bass is the one he bought in Hamburg in 1962, referred to as the “Cavern bass”. Hofner gave him one in 1963, which was the more regularly played during the Beatles’ years, as a thank-you for the attention he brought the brand, with the “Cavern bass” becoming his back-up, famously reappearing in the Revolution  video, and used during the Get Back  sessions until it stolen. The 1963, which he played on the rooftop, still had the Candlestick Park set list taped to it.

I’m sure if they asked, @Dark Overlord, Paul would let AR borrow some of the instruments he bought from them that are at his Hog Hill Mill studio.

24 May 2021
6.23pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777
3794sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’d assume there isn’t any equipment still in use that was used by The Beatles, but for display purposes it would be cool to set up some of the vintage stuff. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

24 May 2021
6.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3795sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mark Knopfler has the R.E.D.D. 37 mixing console operational in his British Grove Studios, @sir walter raleigh, on which Abbey Road was recorded…

f3db746985af186b47f27b2f2e18a24b.jpgImage Enlarger

He also has, and uses, another ’60s Abbey Road console (and another console that Paul recorded Band On The Run  on).

So, there is equipment they recorded on that is still in use…

sir walter raleigh, Richard, WeepingAtlasCedars

24 May 2021
8.20pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777

I was just diving back into the era of Dylan’s career with all of the great Knopfler collaborations.  He’s been one of my biggest influences for playing guitar, and the more I find out about him the bigger a fan I am. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

7 July 2021
6.26am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3797sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Liverpool Echo have revealed that John Lennon has topped a readers poll looking for the “greatest Scouser ever” with Paul coming in second. Both got 8% of the vote, but John had two more votes than Paul.

Former Liverpool football captain Steven Gerard came in third, comedian Ken Dodd fourth, beating George into fifth place by nine votes.

Ahhh Girl, PauliesGirl, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, Timothy

8 August 2021
5.35pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3798sp_Permalink sp_Print

A Ringo Pro-Ject turntable is being released to mark 30 years of the All-Starr Band.

PeaceAndLoveTurntable.pngImage Enlarger

The Ringo Starr Peace & Love – 30 Year-Anniversary for Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band

This collaboration between Pro-Ject Audio Systems and the Universal Music Group celebrates the 30th anniversary of Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. This incredible live rock-supergroup has now been consistently touring for three decades and sees Ringo Starr collaborating with handpicked artists and friends to put on a show unlike anything else. Much in the same way, this special turntable was also „handpicked“ by Ringo.

At its base lies an Essential III, upgraded with an acryl platter, right out of the box. It features high quality and audiophile components, such as an Ortofon OM10 cartridge, a precision diamond cut aluminium pulley, top notch MDF chassis and a built in motor control for optimal speed stability. The acryl platter is not just a sound enhancement that makes the turntable sound richer and more natural by eliminating unwanted resonances caused by the platter, it also allows you to view the underlying, stunning artwork.

The artwork itself is designed by Ringo Starr and was carefully created and developed by him over the course of many years. It has grown with him and shows his dedication to love, togetherness and care. Those values have always been with him, they are reflected in his All-Star Band and this turntable continues to be another statement of exactly that. The turntable comes with a dust cover and a high-quality Connect it E phono-RCA cable. It allows you to connect the turntable to an external phono preamp of your choice. External preamps can provide a better audio experience than the ones that are often built-in into the turntable chassis itself. This way you can match this incredible sounding turntable with an equally stunning phono stage and not miss any of the detailed nuances and intricacies of your favourite vinyl records.

I wonder how many turntables you’d have now if you’d bought all their Beatles-connected turntables up to now?

8 August 2021
8.03pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2126
3799sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
The Liverpool Echo have revealed that John Lennon has topped a readers poll looking for the “greatest Scouser ever” with Paul coming in second. Both got 8% of the vote, but John had two more votes than Paul.

Former Liverpool football captain Steven Gerard came in third, comedian Ken Dodd fourth, beating George into fifth place by nine votes.

Well done Liverpool Echo readers, they have exceptional taste. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Rube

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

10 August 2021
12.40pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3800sp_Permalink sp_Print

There’s something coming from Ringo on Thursday:

Rube, KyleKartan

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690