Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
1 October 2020
2.17pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3741sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Morrison Hotel Gallery online exhibition of photographs of John in conjunction with the Lennon Estate has gone live and can be found here.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars, Into the Sky with Diamonds

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 October 2020
4.42pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Yoko is suing Frederic Seaman, John’s personal assistant during his last months, who stole John’s diaries and much more besides in the wake of his death, for $150,000.

In 2002 Seaman apologised to Yoko and agreed to no longer give interviews about his time working for John, which breached the confidentiality agreement in his 1979 employment contract.

On 10 September he gave an interview about his time working for John, and suggested he was working on a revised and expanded version of his 1991 book The Last Days of John Lennon : A Personal Memoir, breaching the 2002 court order preventing him giving interviews or profiting from the time he worked for John, resulting in Yoko needing to take legal action to shut him up again.

kelicopter, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, Into the Sky with Diamonds, ewe2

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 October 2020
10.53pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
3743sp_Permalink sp_Print

I enjoyed his book even though it seemed he was probably unfair in his representation of Yoko.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

8 October 2020
1.52pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1980
3744sp_Permalink sp_Print

Or … we all buy his book and help him pay. (These cases settle for less than the requested amount.)

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

9 October 2020
5.26am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3745sp_Permalink sp_Print

John’s Steinway Model Z, on which he composed Imagine , and which was bought for £1.45 million by George Michael in 2000, has been lent to the Strawberry Fields Beatles exhibition and goes on display today to mark his 80th birthday.

Julia-Baird-and-Johns-Steinway-Model-Z.jpgImage Enlarger

While The Beatles Story has updated its Imagine White Room exhibition, and is opening a display of unseen John photos, Sgt. Pepper Way, named after this unseen photograph…

Sgt.-Pepper-Way.jpgImage Enlarger

…taken by Robert Deutsch on 17 November 1974 when John went to see the stage show Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band on the Road on Broadway. The display is planned to run for three years and will see more unseen photos added as it goes along.

The Hole Got Fixed, Timothy, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

6 November 2020
11.22am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3746sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul has announced that the 4K remastered version of his animated short Rupert and The Frog Song (which gave us We All Stand Together) will premiere on YouTube on Sunday (8 November) at 7pm GMT/2pm ET/11am PT. It can be seen here.

From Paul’s website:

On Sunday 8th November, celebrate 100 years of DreamWorks Animation/Classic Media’s Rupert The Bear with a special YouTube premiere of Paul’s animated film Rupert and the Frog Song.

Originally released in 1984, the film was written and produced by Paul and directed by animator Geoff Dunbar. Paul voices the character of Rupert, and other notable voices include the beloved British TV icons June Whitfield (as Rupert’s mother) and Windsor Davies (as Father Frog). Released simultaneously with We All Stand Together, the film went on to become the biggest selling video of 1985 in the UK earning Paul a Grammy nomination in the process as well as seeing him win a revered Ivor Novello Award for Best Film Soundtrack and picking up a BAFTA for Best Animated Short Film.

Rupert and the Frog Song has now been fully restored in 4K with a new audio mix, and will be officially released on YouTube for the first time.

“Congratulations to Rupert on his 100th birthday. The great thing is he never looks a day older. Having been a fan of his since my early days in Liverpool, I know what he means to generations of young and old kids. In his character and attitudes to the world, he sums up the best of British tradition and reminds us of an innocence we would all love to cherish. So, congratulations my little bear. Your fans are celebrating your 100th birthday and I for one think you deserve a telegram from the Queen.” Paul McCartney

The remastered video for We All Stand Together will also be uploaded to YT on Sunday.

ewe2, William Shears Campbell

7 November 2020
2.02pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
3747sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Paul has announced that the 4K remastered version of his animated short Rupert and The Frog Song (which gave us We All Stand Together) will premiere on YouTube on Sunday (8 November) at 7pm GMT/2pm ET/11am PT. It can be seen here.

From Paul’s website:

On Sunday 8th November, celebrate 100 years of DreamWorks Animation/Classic Media’s Rupert The Bear with a special YouTube premiere of Paul’s animated film Rupert and the Frog Song.

Originally released in 1984, the film was written and produced by Paul and directed by animator Geoff Dunbar. Paul voices the character of Rupert, and other notable voices include the beloved British TV icons June Whitfield (as Rupert’s mother) and Windsor Davies (as Father Frog). Released simultaneously with We All Stand Together, the film went on to become the biggest selling video of 1985 in the UK earning Paul a Grammy nomination in the process as well as seeing him win a revered Ivor Novello Award for Best Film Soundtrack and picking up a BAFTA for Best Animated Short Film.

Rupert and the Frog Song has now been fully restored in 4K with a new audio mix, and will be officially released on YouTube for the first time.

“Congratulations to Rupert on his 100th birthday. The great thing is he never looks a day older. Having been a fan of his since my early days in Liverpool, I know what he means to generations of young and old kids. In his character and attitudes to the world, he sums up the best of British tradition and reminds us of an innocence we would all love to cherish. So, congratulations my little bear. Your fans are celebrating your 100th birthday and I for one think you deserve a telegram from the Queen.” Paul McCartney

The remastered video for We All Stand Together will also be uploaded to YT on Sunday.

Maybe the song will be reissued too.  I don’t think it’s had a reissue since the 1993 release of Pipes Of Peace (unless it’s on Pure McCartney, I have no clue).  The instrumental version on the B Side hasn’t had a release since the original 1984 single I believe.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

7 November 2020
2.14pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
3748sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said

Ron Nasty said

From Paul’s website:

Maybe the song will be reissued too.  I don’t think it’s had a reissue since the 1993 release of Pipes Of Peace (unless it’s on Pure McCartney, I have no clue).  The instrumental version on the B Side hasn’t had a release since the original 1984 single I believe.

@William Shears Campbell, both the a and b-sides have been remastered and are available to download now.

From Paul’s official email announcing the release

‘We All Stand Together’ has also been remastered, and is out today on digital release and on limited edition picture disc vinyl via MPL/Capitol/UMe. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

William Shears Campbell

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 November 2020
12.42am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3749sp_Permalink sp_Print

Craig Brown‘s book One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time, published in April, has won this year’s Baillie Gifford Prize, the UK’s top award for non-fiction (and worth £50,000).

Chair of the judges Martha Kearney described it as…

…a joyous, irreverent, insightful celebration of the Beatles, a highly original take on familiar territory.

It’s also a profound book about success and failure which won the unanimous support of our judges. Craig Brown has reinvented the art of biography. In the deep gloom of 2020, we have discovered a shaft of light.

The idea of there being a fresh book about the Beatles is quite hard to imagine as there is so much written about them – but it is such an original book. It is like a collage – he has picked so many fascinating details from so many sources and woven them together to give us new insights about the Beatles. It is such a funny book, but also very profound.

ewe2

26 November 2020
4.50am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3750sp_Permalink sp_Print

Has anyone actually read that ^ ? It’s one that I see all on the time on my ‘recommended’ list but I just go “ugh another generic Beatles biog”. 

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

26 November 2020
5.10am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I can no longer read such books but I have read reviews on Amazon where its claimed there are some very daft typos and errors. All books will have them but writing that ‘ATU’ was written in India is plain bad (if is the case).

I remember loving Bill Harry’s ‘Beatles Encyclopaedia’ when I was first getting into the Beatles but the more I learnt elsewhere the more the abysmal glaring errors made for me to hate it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

17 December 2020
5.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3752sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul has dropped the trailer for a new documentary series in which he discusses his career with producer Rick Rubin:

Said to be a six-part series, Deadline commented:

Rubin will be there to explore the music and musicianship of McCartney, from his first guitar and composition all the way to through the legendary and prolific success of The Beatles.

It is said to be the first time the original masters have left Abbey Road .

Paul’s website says:

Keep your eyes peeled in 2021 for more information.

Meanwhile, the first track (which features Paul among many others) from Ringo’s Zoom In EP (due 19 March 2021) has appeared on YT:

Compsed by Diane Warren, the song has quite the star-studded line-up.

Producer, Associated Performer, Drums, Vocals: Ringo Starr
Producer, Co- Producer, Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer, Mixer, Associated Performer, Synthesizer: Bruce Sugar
Associated Performer, Guitar: Steve Lukather
Associated Performer, Bass: Nathan East
Associated Performer, Piano: Benmont Tench
Associated Performer, String Arranger, Synthesizer Arranger: Jim Cox
Associated Performer, Violin: Charlie Bisharat
Associated Performer, Cello: Jacob Braun
Associated Performer, Vocals: Paul McCartney
Associated Performer, Vocals: Joe Walsh
Associated Performer, Vocals: Sheryl Crow
Associated Performer, Vocals: Jenny Lewis
Associated Performer, Vocals: Lenny Kravitz
Associated Performer, Vocals: Chris Stapleton
Associated Performer, Vocals: Yola
Associated Performer, Vocals: Ben Harper
Associated Performer, Vocals: Dave Grohl
Associated Performer, Vocals: Finneas O’Connell
Associated Performer, Vocals: Eric Burton
Associated Performer, Vocals: Corinne Bailey Rae

kelicopter, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

17 December 2020
10.48am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3753sp_Permalink sp_Print

Would be good if the documentary went beyond the Beatles years, ‘Live And Let Die ’ is there so there is some hope. 

17 January 2021
12.44pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3754sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil Spector is dead – I can’t imagine anyone here is mourning his loss.

17 January 2021
12.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3755sp_Permalink sp_Print

Already posted in the RIP thread, @AppleScruffJunior.

17 January 2021
1.26pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3756sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Already posted in the RIP thread, @AppleScruffJunior.

Yep sorry I didn’t see that until after I’d posted it, the forum has been very dodge for me for the past while, I can’t see a lot of ‘recent posts’.

17 January 2021
8.59pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
3757sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

I love his work. His version of Let It Be is also the best one.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

18 January 2021
5.36pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3758sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Yip.

Truth be told, I thought he was already dead.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

18 January 2021
5.41pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
3759sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Are there many groups mourning his loss?

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

18 January 2021
8.34pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3760sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

AppleScruffJunior said

Yip.

Truth be told, I thought he was already dead.

Oh no, the Spector effect strikes again!

Interesting you say that actually – I did too.a-hard-days-night-george-4

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694