Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
16 April 2019
4.52am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3481sp_Permalink sp_Print

Westminster Council unveiled a blue plaque at 3 Savile Row to commemorate it as the site of the Beatles final live performance on 5 April.

Beatles-plaque.jpgImage Enlarger

The NYPD police logs detailing the officers assigned to the visit of "Beatles singing group" in February 1964 have been donated to Roag Best's Magical History Museum in Liverpool by the son of one of the officer's (who seems to have "liberated" them from the records store just before they were due to be destroyed).

1964-police-detail.jpgImage Enlarger

Sculptor Clive Duncan, a drinking buddy of George, will be unveiling a bronze of George at the annual exhibition of the Society of Portrait Sculptors at La Galleria in London in June.

If you look at pictures of George Harrison , there are so many aspects of his face and hair that make people think of him in different ways. Sometimes he had long hair and beard, other times his hair was very short. My period is the late Eighties and early Nineties. That was the only period where I could say I had a real memory of him, not only of his features but the attitude and character.

He did have quite a serious expression for most of the time I remember. He knitted his eyebrows and had very strong, powerful dark eyes.

The piece made itself in a way, the memories were so fresh.

A piece on the restoration of John's psychedelic Gypsy caravan, though I'm not sure there's anything new to a story that's been around a while.

Apple lodged a lawsuit on 10 April at the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida against unnamed defendants of infringing its 'The Beatles' and 'Yellow Submarine ' trademarks with fake goods being sold online.

In addition to asking the court for injunctive relief, Apple Corps has requested an order that any online marketplaces that host the counterfeiters to disable their seller IDs and to remove all of the infringing goods.

Apple Corps has also requested either triple damages or statutory damages from each defendant of $2 million per each counterfeit trademark used.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

ScarlettFieldsForever, The Hole Got Fixed, Ahhh Girl, QuarryMan, PauliesGirl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

The Beatles Non-Canon Poll List

18 April 2019
12.53am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9012
3482sp_Permalink sp_Print

Johnny-Hutch-Hutchinson.jpgImage Enlarger

Regarded by many as the best drummer in Liverpool, occasionally sat in with the Beatles and was (reportedly) offered the chance to replace Pete by Brian on the day Pete was sacked, saddened to hear of the death of Johnny "Hutch" Hutchinson on 12 April at the age of 79.

Well known by Beatles fans as the drummer who sat in for a late Tommy Moore at the beginning of the 10 May 1960 Larry Parnes audition,

Parnes-audition-10-May-1960.jpgImage Enlarger

it was Hutchinson who sat in for three gigs when Pete was sacked and Ringo was still at Butlin's. According to Hutchinson, after the first of those shows (at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester on 16 August 1962) Brian offered him the role permanently:

"...Brian was there and kept looking at me strange.

"I got off stage after the gig and had to zoom off. Brian said, 'I was looking at you to see how you'd fit with The Beatles'.

"I joked, 'I don't really.' He said, 'You do, I want you to join The Beatles.'"

Johnny then remembers telling a shocked Brian: "I don't want to play for The Beatles, Brian — I've got my own group.

"I would not join The Beatles for a gold clock.

"There's only one group as far as I'm concerned and that's The Big Three.

"The Beatles can't make a better sound than that and Pete is a very good friend of mine."

It wouldn't have worked. Hutch wasn't much of a Lennon fan.

The Big Three were the Merseybeat's groups group, considered the best musicians in Liverpool, Brian managed them for a short time but they were one of the many Merseybeat groups who didn't really break out of Liverpool (the cleaned-up style of Epstein never really suited them), having only a minor hit with their take on Some Other Guy in 1963:

Their Live at the Cavern EP (complete with Bob Wooler intro) is a prime slab of Merseybeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....sIDWEGXN4M

RIP Johnny "Hutch" Hutchinson (18 July 1939 - 12 April 2019)

a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10

heartheartheart

And, Sir,

john-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

vonbontee, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, QuarryMan, Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

The Beatles Non-Canon Poll List

18 April 2019
8.27am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
3483sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

it was Hutchinson who sat in for three gigs when Pete was sacked and Ringo was still at Butlin's. According to Hutchinson, after the first of those shows (at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester on 16 August 1962) Brian offered him the role permanently:

"...Brian was there and kept looking at me strange.

"I got off stage after the gig and had to zoom off. Brian said, 'I was looking at you to see how you'd fit with The Beatles'.

"I joked, 'I don't really.' He said, 'You do, I want you to join The Beatles.'"

Johnny then remembers telling a shocked Brian: "I don't want to play for The Beatles, Brian — I've got my own group.

"I would not join The Beatles for a gold clock.

"There's only one group as far as I'm concerned and that's The Big Three.

"The Beatles can't make a better sound than that and Pete is a very good friend of mine."

It wouldn't have worked. Hutch wasn't much of a Lennon fan.

well...  his account doesn't match up to what the other Beatles have stated consistently over the years...  Ringo was the drummer that they had wanted and he'd all ready agreed to take the job...  he'd all ready told Brian Epstein "I'll be there Saturday" and I have a hard time believing that Brian would offer someone else the job the very next day...  whatever conversation Johnny had had with Brian couldn't have been all that serious of a discussion...  Johnny Hutch never turned down The Beatles, as has been portrayed by some...  whether it was sour grapes for NOT being offered the job, or because of his personal relationship with Pete Best, who knows...  Ringo was the drummer that John, Paul & George wanted and I'd go even so far as to say that they wouldn't have taken no for an answer from Rings...

R.I.P. to Johnny and he certainly contributed immensely to the Mersey Beat scene where good drummers were hard to come by...:-)

19 April 2019
9.34am
QuarryMan
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1772
3484sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, those Big Three recordings sound brilliant. They definitely were great musicians. Rest in piece sir. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"You shouldn't let poets lie to you"

- Björk

19 April 2019
11.06am
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3706
3485sp_Permalink sp_Print

RIP Johnny.

Sorry you weren't a Beatles fan

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Beatlebug

Someone said 'What were you gonna do when it's all finished,' and I said 'I don't know but it'd be good fun being a DJ.' And since then I've become a DJ, only by word of mouth, you know. SO any minute now you'll read, 'Ringo leaves to become a DJ' but it's not true. - Ringo Starr

Von-Bontee-2017.png

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: Shamrock Womlbs, The Hole Got Fixed, ScarlettFieldsForever
Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15531
Beatlebug: 13846
Ron Nasty: 9012
Necko: 7838
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403