Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
24 May 2017
9.16pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 10982
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3061sp_Permalink sp_Print

If the provenance is not accepted, the guitar most likely will not sell, @Dark Overlord, or someone will buy it cheaply on a punt.

The provenance seems good though, and has been researched.

As for smashed up Townshend or Hendrix guitars that have reached the market, none of them that I know of have been restored.

The act of restoration would lose most of its value.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Dark Overlord

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

24 May 2017
9.34pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4352
3062sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess so but what's the point of having a guitar that you can't even play, it'd be pretty sad when people buy these vintage instruments with no intentions of playing them, they just hang them up on their wall saying "here's that Strat Jimi burned at the Monterey Pop Festival, I paid $50,000 for it but I wouldn't dare try to fix or it play it, it just stays on the wall as a trophy of how I wasted a house worth of money on a stupid broken guitar".

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

25 May 2017
7.34am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 17397

@Dark Overlord said
I guess so but what's the point of having a guitar that you can't even play, it'd be pretty sad when people buy these vintage instruments with no intentions of playing them, they just hang them up on their wall saying "here's that Strat Jimi burned at the Monterey Pop Festival, I paid $50,000 for it but I wouldn't dare try to fix or it play it, it just stays on the wall as a trophy of how I wasted a house worth of money on a stupid broken guitar".  

That's exactly what they do. By that point, it's not really an instrument anymore; it's a piece of history, and history stays preserved or it's just another old thing.

I know it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to you. Can't say as I'd see myself doing it, if I had money to burn.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars

it verges from the sublime to the ridiculote
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
ScotsIrishFlag-1.jpeg Blueberries1.png Vietnam Heritage and Freedom Flag
StarSpangledBanner.png

25 May 2017
8.14am
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 686
3064sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I could afford to have a piece of history to hang in my living room, I'd happily spend the money for an unplayable guitar that was once smashed and burned by Jimi Hendrix, for example. I would enjoy gazing at that guitar and showing it off as much, I imagine, than most comparably priced pieces of art.

Of course, it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like to have that kind of money to throw around...

The following people thank Pablo Ramon for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars
25 May 2017
10.44am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3065sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I did have the money and say Jimi Hendrix's Fender Strat that he played at Woodstock was up for auction, I might buy it and if I did, I would actually plat it, I wouldn't hang it up on my wall and say "Yep, that's the guitar Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock", I would actually play it, especially considering I play just like him and what would you rather play Purple Haze on.

jimi-hendrix-woodstock.jpgImage Enlarger

or

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

25 May 2017
10.56am
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1809
3066sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess Jimi wasn't that awesome if you can play "just like him". a-hard-days-night-john-7

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, SgtPeppersBulldog

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

25 May 2017
11.32am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3067sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was referring to him in a dexterity sense, as we are both left handed, so we'd play the same way, as in left handed.

Beatlebug

2 June 2017
2.09am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3068sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ahhh Girl set me on the trail of this George letter to Astrid that's coming up for auction at Bonham's on 28 June.

An interesting letter written while he was bed-ridden in a Bournemouth hotel due to illness in August 1963 (Don't Bother Me  would be written in the very same sickbed).

It first came to light publicly a couple of years ago when there was an article about it in Record Collector [July 2015]. I believe there was a discussion about it then. I seem to remember contributing. It may even be back in the bowels of this thread.

The letter

GH-letter-photos.jpgImage Enlarger

in part, reads:

Dear Astrid...I bought you all the records I told you about years ago, and they are still at home covered in dust, so if you have decided where about's you are living lately, then let me know and I will send them to you...Fat Betty has seen all the Happy holiday Photo's, hasn't she? but I haven't, oh no - you won't show them to me will you! Actually if she had not come to England with King Size, then I would still be wondering which part of the world you where in...I bought a Jaguar (car) last month, and I think you would like it. I will send you a photograph of it, with the records as soon as I get back to Liverpool...Could you look through your photographs and find some - or all of the photos that have The Beatles either all together or separately, or that have any of us with other people in them, in fact any photographs at all that may be of interest and then if you felt in a HAPPY ASTRID MOOD, do you think you could either give or lend them to me...You know that Paul and John are going to be very rich soon, when they collect the money they have made by writing all those songs, and I don't think that you would like to see me poor and hungry, so I have decided to make a book. It won't be a DA SADE type book, but a daft story about the BEATLES, with some photographs in it, and then I hope to sell it to all the nice people and then I can buy food with the money...Can't I? I would like to have some pictures that the people haven't already seen in all the other books, so that is why I am asking you. It would be very nice of you, even if the pictures were old at the Indra and Kaiserkeller and Top Ten...I have been ill all week, feeling tired all the time. The doctor gave me a tonic which is like liquid preludin. My balls have been aching too, and banging around on stage! We will be in Paris for three week in January. I will write again with the records cheerio and love from Georgie (your friend who wants the photos).

It is a fecking funny letter. I think it has a lot to do with the doctor who gave him "a tonic which is like liquid preludin"!

It is going up for auction as part of this Bonhams Entertainment Memorabilia auction, The Beatles lots being 154 to 186.

The George letter is Lot 178.

Lot 179 is a sketch Tom Maschler (publisher of In His Own Write and Spaniard in the Works) held back from his 2014 sale, Lady Flying on a Wire (circa 1964):

Lady-Flying-on-a-Wire.jpgImage Enlarger

There are a few other interesting items among the Beatles lots...

On another note, the gates of the Strawberry Fields Salvation Army site (no longer a children's home), were put into storage and replaced with replicas in 2011, to prevent them being damaged. With the Salvation Army now working on plans to redevelop the site - including a small museum dedicated to the history, and John's association, as well as including a training and work placement hub for young adults with learning disabilities.

To raise awareness of what's down the line for the site, the Salvation Army are lending The Beatles Story the original gates (until, one would assume, they are needed back for the Salvation Army Strawberry Fields museum).

The gates are added to the exhibition next (?) Thursday.

SgtPeppersBulldog, Ahhh Girl, Martha, Leppo, Necko, WeepingAtlasCedars

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 June 2017
4.16pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3069sp_Permalink sp_Print

The sellers of rare items Moments in Time have for sale, at $54,000 a unique Sgt. Pepper  store window advertising. It is a known item. Paul was worried people might not get the idea that Sgt. Pepper 's Lonely Hearts Club Band were not The Beatles, and had this made up for the window of the HMV store in Oxford Street:

1967-HMV-Sgt-Pepper-Stand-Up.jpgImage Enlarger

1967-HMV-Sgt-Pepper-Stand-Up-back.jpgImage Enlarger

It was displayed for just a few days:

After some in house discussion Apple employee Alistair Taylor asked a young, unpaid, occasional office boy “get that fuckin’ thing out of the window before Paul puts us out of business for good.” It was delivered to the Apple offices that very afternoon by this young man who performed odd jobs as a fan who simply hung around the offices in hopes of meeting his hero’s.  Much later, in the Savile Row Apple offices the poster was, for a time, in John Lennon ’s office against a wall. After arriving from California and a stint working for the Byrds, PR man Derek Taylor took possession by default, of the by then long forgotten one of a kind graphic.

(Quote from interview with Alistair Taylor with Beatles Author Geoffrey Giuliano, 1986)

There were no Apple offices in early 1967, but hey-ho! Probably NEMS.

SgtPeppersBulldog, Dark Overlord, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, sir walter raleigh, Leppo, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2

12 June 2017
4.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3070sp_Permalink sp_Print

Who would want a Sgt. Pepper poster if they blacked out The Beatles, it'd be like blacking out the robot from News Of The World or the statue from And Justice For All.

SgtPeppersBulldog

12 June 2017
4.38pm
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3069
3071sp_Permalink sp_Print

_1967-HMV-Sgt-Pepper-Stand-Up.jpg

Until I saw the back, I was going say that would look like the funnest round of Hole In The Wall (for four people) ever!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

You get the idea.

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

12 June 2017
4.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3072sp_Permalink sp_Print

Though there is a different way of looking at it, as a unique piece of McCartney commissioned artwork.

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, SgtPeppersBulldog

12 June 2017
5.16pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 19568
3073sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wonder what made Paul do that for just that store?

12 June 2017
5.55pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3074sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was probably the Oxford Street HMV branch that Brian got the Decca tapes onto disc, and led the way to George Martin. You've been there, @Ahhh Girl. Very important store in the '60s.

Ahhh Girl

12 June 2017
6.59pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
3075sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wonder if Paul had thoughts of mass producing the poster for lots of stores. I wonder who told him the poster was removed from the window display. Wonder how he took it?

12 June 2017
7.05pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3076sp_Permalink sp_Print

I doubt it, i guess he just wanted it for that one store.

15 June 2017
9.16am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Another excuse to return to Britain. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The Fox and Hounds Pub in Caversham is getting a BBC Blue Plaque. http://www.getreading.co.uk/wh.....y-13180234

Part of the article.

BBC Radio Berkshire has announced the pub will be presented with a blue plaque that commemorates people or places which have helped shape the musical landscape in Britain.

The plaque will be unveiled on BBC Music Day on Thursday, June 15 by McCartney’s second cousins - Kate and Jane Robbins, who grew up in the pub.

BBC Radio Berkshire BBC Radio Berkshire Editor Duncan Mclarty, said: "John Lennon and Paul McCartney are two lads from Liverpool who changed the face of music.

"We are extremely proud to celebrate this Berkshire connection with The Nerk Twins."

Here are Joe's stories about their time at the pub. day one day two

The-Fox-Hounds.jpgImage Enlarger

I've been to the places with stars. I need to get a star on The Fox and Hounds Pub.

The-fox-and-hounds-on-map.JPGImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, Leppo, WeepingAtlasCedars, SgtPeppersBulldog
18 June 2017
3.31am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2936
3078sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringo Starr plays drums on a new solo album Starlight by Jon Stevens, released in March. The album, which is a general collaboration with Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, features a track "One Way Street" with Ringo. I was asked as an Australian and senior citizen to bring you this news because Jon, a Maori New Zealander is yet another of those honorary Australians because of his success here with his band Noiseworks back in the day when pubs did not consist of fruit machines and the cigarette smoke masked the terrible carpet smells. I did like the bands work but FM radio here really overplayed them and they suffered from being too big in a market too small.

All joking aside, Jon is a terrific singer and songwriter and fronted INXS for a while but hated the touring.  Here's the track, and remember this guy is a year older than me and still sings up a storm! It's got that Beatley feel too, and wait for the end!

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

18 June 2017
4.08am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8002
3079sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great little bio there ewe2! He did some wonderful stuff, and INXS is one of those classic Aussie bands that are etched in our DNA. 

I must find this track: Jon's a great musician, and to collaborate with Ringo! I wonder how we didn't find out sooner?

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Ahhh Girl, ewe2

#AppleHoley2020: Get smelly people cleaned up! /-/ Make America hygienic again!
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

18 June 2017
9.29am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

I wonder if Jon Stevens allowed Ringo to make up the drum part to go along with the song. I bet he did.

ewe2's video didn't work for me, so here's another link

https://youtu.be/L_6zg56PDPU

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

ewe2
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Lisa001, Sexy Sadie
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15951
Ron Nasty: 10982
50yearslate: 8643
Necko: 7917
AppleScruffJunior: 7235
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
sir walter raleigh: 5155
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 87
Members: 2591
Moderators: 6
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 4930
Newest Members:
Woodentop, thasboy, olivier, Suzy Parlourphone, BetterAllTheTime
Moderators: Joe: 5162, Zig: 9812, meanmistermustard: 23325, Ahhh Girl: 19568, Beatlebug: 17397, The Hole Got Fixed: 8002
Administrators: Joe: 5162