Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
4 June 2015
7.38pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

John’s once “lost” 1962 jumbo J-160E Gibson Acoustic guitar is coming up for auction after reappearing a couple of years ago. I wonder whether it will actually make it to sale though. It’s not a guitar that John gave away. It “disappeared” from backstage during the 1963 Christmas shows at Finsbury Park. Mal was nearly sacked over its disappearance, and John would cite it as one of his favourite guitars ever.

Here are John and George collecting their J-160E’s from Rushworth’s in Liverpool in 1962:
herejohn.jpgImage Enlarger

Whoever has possession of it now, surely – given the circumstances in which it left John’s possession – there has to be a huge question mark over legal ownership? I hope Yoko will make the argument that it belongs to the family as John never gave it away. Not accusing anybody, but it’s pretty much stolen property, even if the current possessor bought it in good faith.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

meanmistermustard, Ahhh Girl, Wigwam, Beatlebug, thisbirdhasflown

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 June 2015
8.53am
thisbirdhasflown
Standing in the dock at Southhampton...
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1762
2362sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
John’s once “lost” 1962 jumbo J-160E Gibson Acoustic guitar is coming up for auction after reappearing a couple of years ago. I wonder whether it will actually make it to sale though. It’s not a guitar that John gave away. It “disappeared” from backstage during the 1963 Christmas shows at Finsbury Park. Mal was nearly sacked over its disappearance, and John would cite it as one of his favourite guitars ever.

I just read the article about this and my mind turned to this quote from Anthology, Page 87:

“The worst of all was at the Finsbury Empire in London, when I lost John’s guitar. It was one he’d had for years as well. It just disappeared. ‘Where’s my Jumbo?’ he said. I don’t know. It’s still a mystery.”- Mal Evans

I guess it’s not a mystery anymore!

By hook or by crook, I'll be last in this book.

9 June 2015
12.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Article from The Verge focusing on The Beatles [current] absence from the upcoming Apple Music service.

(11th June 2015 Edit: Another article (macobserver.com) on the Beatles absence from Apple Music.]

A copy of the White Album supposedly signed by Charles Manson is up for sale.

And The Telegraph covers the story that John was paid in £15 worth of chocolate biscuits for appearing on the ‘Old Grey Whistle Test’ in 1975.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 June 2015
1.44pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
2364sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dunno if these have been posted here yet…a friend called me last night and alerted me, suggested I check ’em out. And so how can I help but do the same? 🙂 He specifically raved about George’s raw lead guitars in “Ramrod”…whole track is pure punk!

http://www.rollingstone.com/mu…..s-20150611

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

meanmistermustard

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

13 June 2015
2.07pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Kinda posted in the best bootleg thread.

Just realised the link there was slightly wrong and led to one of the tracks, not sure how that happened. Fixed now.

Von Bontee

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 June 2015
6.34pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
2366sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Just realised the link there was slightly wrong and led to one of the tracks, not sure how that happened. Fixed now.

Just me being my usual inept self, thanks mmm.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

13 June 2015
7.07pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Von Bontee said

meanmistermustard said

Just me being my usual inept self, thanks mmm.

Well your ineptness resulted in my stupidity being corrected. apple01

Wait and hang on. I was referring to to the link in my own post getting fixed by me not in yours @Von Bontee. I’d never fix someone else’s post – a) its none of my damn business and b) it’s a chore doing my own fixing, i’m not doing someone else’s.

16 June 2015
5.06pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Incomplete silent footage of a long lost not seen for years Beatles appearance on ‘Top Of The Pops’ performing ‘Can’t Buy Me Love ‘ and ‘You Can’t Do That ‘ in 1964 has appeared on youtube reports Wogblog. Before folk get too excited its been filmed by someone watching it on their tv but is still unseen footage and so important and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..p3jZhHPtPE

[x-posted to ‘Rediscovered/Newly Surfaced Beatles Material‘]

Zig

16 June 2015
8.23pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2369sp_Permalink sp_Print

mmm, do you have the correct video clip in your post? It isn’t the video at the link.

16 June 2015
9.43pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
2370sp_Permalink sp_Print

That video is Chick Graham or something singing, thankfully silently ‘Money cann’ae buy me love”

17 June 2015
3.47am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2371sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fixed @Ahhh Girl and @Wigwam. Apologies for that. Thanks for highlighting it, tho you did get a fantastic clip of Chick Graham as a bonus – soon you’ll both be creating you’re own fan club of his together. apple01

Ahhh Girl

17 June 2015
5.33am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2372sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Fixed @Ahhh Girl and @Wigwam. Apologies for that. Thanks for highlighting it, tho you did get a fantastic clip of Chick Graham as a bonus – soon you’ll both be creating you’re own fan club of his together. apple01

Well I’m half-way there………I’m a fan of chicks.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
17 June 2015
6.25am
johnnymain
Coatbridge, Scotland
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 70
2373sp_Permalink sp_Print

Replica Beatles’ guitars go on show at Beatles Story

Guitar company Höfner has loaned four one-off replicas of instruments used by Paul McCartney and John Lennon to the Beatles Story.

The 1964 Vintage 500/1 Bass, Paul McCartney 500/1 Backup Bass, Jubilee 500/1 Bass and the Club 40 John Lennon re-issue guitar have gone on display at the Albert Dock attraction as part of its 25th birthday celebrations.

The 1964 example of the bass is very similar to Paul McCartney ’s.

Meanwhile in 2009 Höfner was commissioned by the Liverpool-born legend to produce a 500/1 Backup Bass for him, built to the same specifications as his 1963 model that he uses for all concerts and for recording.

Only two of the Backup Basses were made. One is with Sir Paul, and the other was retained by Höfner for occasional exhibiting.

Image Enlarger

Source: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk…..ow-9463377

The following people thank johnnymain for this post:

Zig, Beatlebug

"Never guess. Unless you have to. There's enough uncertainty in the universe as it is."

http://www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions

17 June 2015
1.58pm
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435
2374sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I think of the way Paul treats his bass on stage, I wonder if perhaps he’s using the replica, at least during part of the show? I mean, he balances it on the tip of his fingers and stuff like that; who in his right mind would do that with a 52 year-old bass worth 2 million pounds (or at least insured for that amount)? a-hard-days-night-paul-10

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Expert Textpert, Beatlebug

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

17 June 2015
2.13pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011
2375sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said

When I think of the way Paul treats his bass on stage, I wonder if perhaps he’s using the replica, at least during part of the show? I mean, he balances it on the tip of his fingers and stuff like that; who in his right mind would do that with a 52 year-old bass worth 2 million pounds (or at least insured for that amount)? a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Good observation.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

17 June 2015
2.21pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2376sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said

I know. I wanted to go on the stage and scold him when I saw him doing that. Naughty little boy behavior.

17 June 2015
5.26pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2377sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you’re worth £800m, or whatever Paul is, maybe a £2m guitar is like what buying a bag of crisps is to us.

17 June 2015
5.51pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2378sp_Permalink sp_Print

But THAT instrument is historic! If indeed it is the real one.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Beatlebug
17 June 2015
6.25pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

I think Paul truly loves his old bass. I was thinking the other day……How much their songs mean to me in my life. How many memories they can evoke….I was 10 in 1962….. You hear this thought spouted  again and again. So often that its a given.

But think about Paul….and Ringo…..and George Martin!!!

How much more they must mean to them. Bitter-sweet reminders of achievements, lost youth and mates.

Paul still marvels at it all……’Only four people in the world knew what it was like……And I was one of them” 

He treasures that bass and keeps it safe. 

800,million pounds can buy a house…..it can’t buy a home. It can buy medicine…..It can’t buy health……It can buy sex…….It can’t buy him love. 

Money has it’s limits.

I reckon if his house caught fire after he got his wife and kids out the only thing he’d take with him would be his Hofner.

Two million……..Eight hundred million couldn’t buy him another minute with that bass if it was destroyed. It brings him closer to John and George and what they did together.

It’s irreplaceable……..So it’s safe. 

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Beatlebug
17 June 2015
6.44pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2380sp_Permalink sp_Print

That Hofner flies first class http://www.washingtonpost.com/…..story.html

Sir Paul McCartney requests a first class seat for his prized guitar.The Beatles star has admitted his iconic 1963 Hofner bass guitar gets the special treatment whenever he flies with it, with the instrument sometimes being treated to it’s own seat and seatbelt.

He told The Sun newspaper: “My guy [assistant John Hammel] looks after it like his own child and he won’t let anyone take it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Mr. Moonlight
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691