Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
20 May 2015
6.41am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2341sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Status Quo are embarrassingly dreadful. An entire career built on the smallest amount of talent, variation and quality. So fair play to them for lasting so long.

Corrected
Status Quo are embarrassingly dreadful. An entire career built on the smallest amount of talent, variation and quality. So as far as i am concerned fair play to them for lasting so long.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 May 2015
10.13am
vectisfabber
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 130
2342sp_Permalink sp_Print

For the benefit of our transatlantic friends who may not have encountered the Quo, it is worth pointing out that – not unlike the Rolliing Stones, who have also done fairly well on it – Status Quo do mainly one thing, and have carved out a devoted following and a lengthy career based on that.  In their case, it is anthemic 12-bar songs suited to live performance.  I make no comment as to whether they do it well or not (Youtube them a bit if you’re curious), or whether there is anything inherently worthy or lacking in their career, abilities and ouvre – that is something for the individual.

To put it another way, I personally find the writing in 50 Shades Of Grey to be of poor quality, but it has sold in shedloads, so it must have something going for it no matter how rubbishy I find it.

21 May 2015
1.12pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2343sp_Permalink sp_Print

Press release on Simon Cowell’s company becoming a partner in the film:

FAB FILM NEWS: We’re pleased and proud to announce we’ve signed a film financing and producing deal for The Fifth Beatle, partnering with Simon Cowell’s Syco Entertainment and independent entertainment studio IM Global. The international media has already enthusiastically reacted and we’re enjoying great press from Variety,Hollywood Reporter, NME, The Telegraph (UK)Cinema Blend and more!

Official press release follows:

SYCO ENTERTAINMENT AND IM GLOBAL PARTNER ON VIVEK J. TIWARY‘S  “THE FIFTH BEATLE”

Film To Adapt Acclaimed Graphic Novel Biography Of The Beatles’ Manager Brian Epstein

Cannes, May 15 – Prolific independent entertainment studio IM Global, acclaimed writer Vivek J. Tiwary and Simon Cowell‘s Syco Entertainment have announced they will partner to co-produce the feature film version of THE FIFTH BEATLE.  The screenplay, written by Tiwary, is an adaptation of  his acclaimed graphic novel based on the life of Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein.

THE FIFTH BEATLE is a New York Times #1 best-selling graphic novel that recounts the true story of Brian Epstein, the brilliant visionary who discovered the Beatles in a cellar in Liverpool and guided them to unimaginable success.  But it’s also the story of how Epstein, of whom Paul McCartney said, “if anyone was the fifth Beatle, it was Brian,”  overcame seemingly insurmountable odds and personal demons  while bringing the Beatles to the world’s attention and kicking off a cultural Revolution in the process. 

Tiwary, Cowell and IM Global Founder and CEO Stuart Ford will serve as producers, and have already secured an unprecedented agreement with Sony/ATV Publishing for the use of Beatles music to be used in the film. IM Global President of Production Matt Jackson, President of IM Global Music David Schulhof, and Syco  Entertainment’s Head of Film Adam Milano will serve as executive producers. The producers also anticipate bringing a director onboard shortly.

Said Tiwary, “The mission of ‘The Fifth Beatle’ has always been to sing the unsung story of Brian Epstein– the brilliant and inspiring visionary behind the Beatles– so I am thrilled to expand his legacy Into film.  And to be partnering with a brilliant self-made boy from Liverpool and a game-changing music impresario– I’m certain Brian would be pleased!”

Said Ford, “Vivek has written a powerful, vibrant screenplay about one of the most colorful and heartbreaking stories in rock’n’roll history.  I am proud and incredibly excited to launch into putting the film together with Vivek, Simon and the rest of the team.”

Said Cowell, “I have always been fascinated by Brian Epstein – and his story. He played a huge role in The Beatles incredible success – and, I believe, remains the most talented manager ever. Yet his story has never been fully told. Also, like everyone across the world, I have so much respect for The Beatles and their music. So to be given the chance to be involved in this project was one I just could not pass up.” 

Tiwary wrote the graphic novel, which was published by Dark Horse Comics, with art created by award-winning artists Andrew C. Robinson and Kyle Baker.  THE FIFTH BEATLE has  won many major literary awards, including the Will Eisner Comic Industry Award (the comics industry’s Academy Award) and two Harvey Awards (the comics industry’s Golden Globes), including Best Original Graphic Album. It was named a Lambda Literary Award Finalist for Best LGBT Graphic Novel, and has been added to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Library and Archives Permanent Collection.  

[x-posted to the Fifth Beatle film thread]

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

Joe

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

21 May 2015
1.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2344sp_Permalink sp_Print

@parlance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoopy-dancing-o.gifImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

parlance, Beatlebug, Joe

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 May 2015
4.09pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
2345sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
And I’ll be standing right beside you holding my Rubber Soul lava lamp. I can’t wait for these to come out.

I missed all the lava lamp talk a coupla weeks ago, but can I still just relate the anecdote about the Christmas of ’96 when my sister and myself unknowingly bought each other a lava lamp for a gift? And how we both preferred the colours we bought for the other (I bought lime green; she bought aqua) and ultimately each kept the one we bought for ourself? 

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

meanmistermustard

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

25 May 2015
5.57pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

meanmistermustard said

meanmistermustard said
Status Quo are embarrassingly dreadful. An entire career built on the smallest amount of talent, variation and quality. So fair play to them for lasting so long.

Corrected
Status Quo are embarrassingly dreadful. An entire career built on the smallest amount of talent, variation and quality. So as far as i am concerned fair play to them for lasting so long.

I think that’s fair comment………….

But here’s a chance to take a look into the rhythm track behind the only Status Quo record I have on my iPod.

I think it’s one of my favorite intros to any song………Drums come in quicker than My Sweet Lord at about a minute but the head banging will have been well underway by then.

Er…. for you guitarists I think it’s in D. It shows if anything the eternal power of the blues structure.

Give it a chance…at the end, (you won’t last till the end) you can always return to the status quo.

25 May 2015
6.38pm
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 73
2347sp_Permalink sp_Print

Status Quo were not a band of musical geniuses, but they never claimed to be. Instead they were hardworking, honest and unpretentious, and in their heyday, this was a welcome distraction from those bands who had glowing reputations for musicianship – which were usually well deserved – but whose live performances were often sterile, monotonous and tedious.

People knew what they were getting with Quo – and they liked it. Their raunch and rhythm had everyone up enjoying themselves, and for a band that used a fairly basic formula for their music, they still came up with enough material to give their music appeal and their career longevity.

Francis(he used to be known as Mike) Rossi is the main man in the band alongside Rick Parfitt who has the easiest and most energetic rhythm guitar role in the business.

Everyone I knew liked them, even all the Beatle fans, although it was never cool to admit it. Most of us had more serious bands as favourites, but people found room for Quo too. A night at a Quo gig in Glasgow, UK was quite an event – and it was always the highlight of the band’s tour.

The music they play is the music they like to play, and a heck of a lot of people like to hear it.

The following people thank Hildy for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby
25 May 2015
10.07pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2348sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very nicely put @Hildy !!

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

27 May 2015
7.16am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Yahoo article featuring comments on Steve Tilson who John sent a letter to in 1971 but Steve only got in 2005. A film is coming out on based on the story.

Mojo have a new ‘Beatles 101 Greatest Songs’ with a few surprises along the way (it’s not a list, you have to click your way thru song-by-song).

24 previously unseen phots of the Beatles at the ABC Cinema in Ardwick on the 20 November 1963 have been sold at auction for £5,200 report the Manchester Evening News (there are 6 additional photos of fans at the concert screaming).

27 May 2015
8.42am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2350sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul bought a penthouse overlooking Central Park. I wonder if he did it to compensate for the fact that he can’t wander freely through the park without being bugged by people. I wonder if he can he see the Strawberry Fields section of Central Park from his window.

27 May 2015
10.23am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2351sp_Permalink sp_Print

The article did not mention how many stories Off The Ground it is. Anyone care to bet it’s at least one story higher than Yoko’s in The Dakota at his request?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 May 2015
10.37am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2352sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had to look up and make sure I wasn’t reading the “Paul’s massive ego” thread.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Zig, Beatlebug
28 May 2015
1.15am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
2353sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been trying to post this since it was fresh a couple days ago but wifi problems kept getting in the way.  I found this article in the latest Rolling Stone confirming details about the Beatles’ dealings with Stax records in Memphis in 1966 (funny that I found it while I was actually in Memphis).  A letter from George washed up. The letter is scanned in and

I saw George’s playful scrawl in large, clear print for the first time 🙂

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

28 May 2015
5.58am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

George’s letter regarding Stax with links to the Rolling Stone article and Record Mecca, where you can actually see and read the letter, was posted yesterday in the ‘Revolver‘ thread. To save folk having to walk over there the post was as follows

Somehow this slipped by. A previously unseen letter from George has surfaced and reveals the reason why the Beatles never recorded at Stax Studios in Atlanta – its been covered by a lot of publications, here’s Rolling Stone.

The letter itself can be read at Record Mecca and the full quote in regards to recording at Stax reads

By the way did you hear that we nearly recorded in Memphis with Jim Stuart. We would all like it a lot, but too many people get insane with money ideas at the mention of the word ‘Beatles’, so it fell through !.”

28 May 2015
6.15am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2355sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby posted it directly above your post @meanmistermustard.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

28 May 2015
6.17am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Thats what i was referring to. Admittedly without any words or links to bring the link more clearly to surface but it was there in theory.a-hard-days-night-paul-4

28 May 2015
2.49pm
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

Paul McCartney is to receive a new tulip, bearing his name, at his Amsterdam shows. (article is in Dutch): 

http://www.dikketitels.com/muz…..mccartney/

Translation of the relevant part:

PAUL MCCARTNEY GETS HIS OWN TULIP

Paul McCartney will be performing at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam on 7 and 8 June. His last concert in Amsterdam was over 40 years ago. To commemorate this special event, Remarkable Tulips CV has cultivated a tulip which will bear the name Paul McCartney . The first of these tulips will be presented to McCartney at the concerts.

The rest of the article just talks about the tour and Paul’s career.

I do hope it’s a better-looking tulip than the one depicted in the article, because that looks rather mundane… There’s no mention of it yet on the cultivator’s website, so I’m guessing the official reveal is the moment they present it to Paul. Since he already has a very pretty rose named after him, it better be really nice!

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

31 May 2015
8.58am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2358sp_Permalink sp_Print

Julie Harris who designed clothes for the Beatles in their first two films ‘A Hard Day’s Night ‘ and ‘Help !’ (for which she received a BAFTA nomination) as well as ‘Live And Let Die ‘ which Paul wrote the theme song for had died at the age of 94 report the BBC

In 1965, after working with the Beatles, she said: “I must be one of the few people who can claim they have seen John, Paul, George and Ringo naked.”

[x-posted in the ‘Rest In Peace‘ thread]

4 June 2015
5.12pm
StarrisonSubmarine
Cheshire, UK
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 166
2359sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry to backtrack a bit, but does this mean there will actually be a Fifth Beatle film? As in it’s not just talk that will ultimately result in nothing? I liked the graphic novel. I had to order it especially from a comic book store in Derby when I was at uni. Worth it.

tumblr_mces572Eol1qft6pz.gif"Y'know" - Paul McCartney

4 June 2015
5.23pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2360sp_Permalink sp_Print

Impossible to say there will definitely be a “Fifth Beatle” film until it’s done, @StarrisonSubmarine, but the signs are looking very good for it happening.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691