Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
16 February 2015
11.48pm
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2201sp_Permalink sp_Print

If anyone lives in Southern California, Ivor Davis (author of The Beatles & Me On Tour) will take questions at a book signing today in West Hollywood.

The following people thank C.R.A. for this post:

parlance
18 February 2015
1.04am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2202sp_Permalink sp_Print

* From Ultimate Classic Rock:

There’ll be jail time for a pair of Italian crooks who tried to swipe royalties for famous songs written by Paul McCartney , Queen and the Doors. Athos Poma and Giuseppe Fedi received around $284,000 before the scam was exposed.

The duo was taking advantage of a loophole in the Italian Society of Authors and Publishers computer system in which many famous original compositions had somehow gone unregistered. Poma and Fedi — the latter of whom worked at ISAP and facilitated the scam — claimed the rights to more than 200 songs between 2006-08, including McCartney’s “My Love,” Queen’s “Liar” and the Doors’ “People Are Strange.”

Poma has been sentenced to 18 months in jail, while Fedi will be incarcerated for 20 months. Lawyers for Poma, who was acquitted on separate charges of plagiarism, say they will appeal.

Once the loophole was discovered, the Italian Society of Authors and Publishers created a holding fund for the due royalties until the process could be fixed. The duo tried to register tracks written by Radiohead and Tom Jones, as well.

* From Rolling Stone:

Lou Reed recalled his vision for the Velvet Underground and his derision for that band’s contemporaries in a recently rediscovered interview that PBS has animated as part of its Blank on Blank series. The singer told music executive Joe Smith in 1987 that he felt the purpose of the band was “to elevate the rock & roll song and take it where it hadn’t been taken before.”

He also had strong words for his more successful peers in the Sixties. “When [bands] did try to get, in quotes, ‘arty,’ it was worse than stupid rock & roll,” he said. “What I mean by ‘stupid,’ I mean, like, the Doors.” And what did he think of John Lennon and the Beatles? “I never liked the Beatles,” Reed said. “I thought they were garbage. If you say, ‘Who did you like?’ I liked nobody.”

The animated interview, has the Beatles reference at 3:30:

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

19 February 2015
6.51pm
thisbirdhasflown
Standing in the dock at Southhampton...
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1762
2203sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s a bit ironic that they got their hands on Queen’s “Liar”- “I have sinned dear father, father I have sinned”

By hook or by crook, I'll be last in this book.

21 February 2015
1.00am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2204sp_Permalink sp_Print

Examiner article on the San Diego Beatle Fair taking place March 28.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

24 February 2015
2.15pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

parlance said
From the Boston Herald:

On October 15, at NYC’s Union Square Theater “Lennon: Through a Glass Onion ” opens. This is an internationally acclaimed event that celebrates the life and work of John Lennon .

Glass Onion ” has been created and is performed by actor/musical John R. Waters and singer/pianist Stewart D’Arrietta. The show features 31 Lennon compositions, as well as monologues melding Lennon’s life and genius. For info call 866-870-2717.

parlance

Hey Dullblog article on the performance. It closes Feb. 28.

parlance

25 February 2015
8.01am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2206sp_Permalink sp_Print

From The Examiner:

A past show from 1990 that featured McCartney, “Live at Knebworth,” also with music by Pink Floyd, Phil Collins, Tears For Fears, Eric Clapton and Elton John, is headed for Blu-Ray, according to an announcement by Eagle Rock, which will release it in the U.S. on March 17. It’ll be out a few days earlier on March 14 in the UK. The show, recorded June 30, 1990, features McCartney singing “Birthday ,” “Hey Jude ,” and “Can’t Buy Me Love.”

parlance

25 February 2015
5.12pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

Paul’s been confirmed as the headliner for the Firefly Music Festival in Delaware in June.

Examiner article.

[x-posted to the Out There tour thread]

parlance

25 February 2015
5.45pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2208sp_Permalink sp_Print

I presume its unlikely Paul will play on his 73rd birthday since the festival starts on the 18th and he is the headline act (or one of them) tho the crowd, Paul or the band will do something to mark it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 February 2015
5.59pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
2209sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wonder if Kanye will show up to sing the John Lennon parts.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

26 February 2015
5.36pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2210sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another of Paul’s childhood homes, this time in Western Avenue in Speke, Liverpool is up for auction tonight at the Cavern Club the BBC reports.

Stephen Giddins, of estate agents Entwistle Green, said they were expecting a lot of interest in the three-bedroom house, which will be sold with a guide price of £100,000.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 February 2015
7.19pm
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491
2211sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

* From Rolling Stone:

Lou Reed recalled his vision for the Velvet Underground and his derision for that band’s contemporaries in a recently rediscovered interview that PBS has animated as part of its Blank on Blank series. The singer told music executive Joe Smith in 1987 that he felt the purpose of the band was “to elevate the rock & roll song and take it where it hadn’t been taken before.”

He also had strong words for his more successful peers in the Sixties. “When [bands] did try to get, in quotes, ‘arty,’ it was worse than stupid rock & roll,” he said. “What I mean by ‘stupid,’ I mean, like, the Doors.” And what did he think of John Lennon and the Beatles? “I never liked the Beatles,” Reed said. “I thought they were garbage. If you say, ‘Who did you like?’ I liked nobody.”

So weird. Many of The Velvet Underground songs remind me of what The Beatles did in the White Album …; their sound, their concept, everything.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

26 February 2015
7.26pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2212sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oudis said

So weird. Many of The Velvet Underground songs remind me of what The Beatles did in the White Album …; their sound, their concept, everything.

I think Lou liked to be contrary.

parlance

27 February 2015
6.37pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2213sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
Examiner article on Peter Asher is being named CBE:

Peter Asher of Peter and Gordon is being honored by Queen Elizabeth II with the title of a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2015 New Year’s Honours list being released Dec. 30, Beatles Examiner learned today. He will be honored for services to the British music industry as musician, manager and record producer.

More at the link.

Peter posted a photo at his FB:

peter-asher_cbe.jpgImage Enlarger

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

Zig

27 February 2015
7.34pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2214sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good on you, Peter.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

parlance

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 February 2015
7.40pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I’ll save my money and wait for the bootleg.

Note: In relation to 

AppleScruffJunior said
Can we pool our money together and buy it? I’ll have it Mondays through Fridays and the rest of you can share it on the weekends :)

Stupid internet hanging.

27 February 2015
8.36pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

^^ Yeah, I was wondering how you were going to find a bootleg CBE.

parlance

Ahhh Girl

28 February 2015
1.18am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2217sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caveman is now on Blu-ray.

[x-posted to the Ringo’s films thread]

parlance

28 February 2015
1.30am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2218sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
^^ Yeah, I was wondering how you were going to find a bootleg CBE.

parlance

I’m not as stupid as some MP’s who still haven’t learnt to not accept large sums of money from rich fat people who want a peerage or laws changed.

3 March 2015
2.18am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

* Kanye West’s latest with Paul at Consequence of Sound, called “All Day.” Paul whistles then sings starting at 4:18. 

I confined my comments to the collabs thread where I x-posted. :-)

* LA Times review on the Wild Honey Orchestra‘s annual benefit, this year featuring The White Album .

[x-posted to the tribute bands thread]

parlance

trcanberra

4 March 2015
2.44am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2220sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringo’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony will premiere on HBO on Saturday, May 30 at 8pm ET/PT. [x-posted]

parlance

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694