Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
1 February 2015
6.54am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul’s cousin, Ted Robbins, collapsed on stage at the Manchester Arena last night at the beginning of the Second Act of the opening night of Phoenix Nights Live, causing the show to be halted. His condition is described as stable. (It was at the Robbins’ pub in Caversham Paul and John had their first holiday together in April 1960, where they would also perform as the Nerk Twins.)

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

trcanberra

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

1 February 2015
9.06am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
2162sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those keeping an eye on unbooted material surfacing, on the new and currently circulating ‘BBC Archives’ fan bootleg ‘Till There Was You ‘ from ‘Pop Go The Beatles #13’ can now be heard for the first time since it was first broadcast.

I think there should be a thread for new tracks that surface so its all together instead of being scattered. Folk can always add and correct the list.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 February 2015
7.40pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

Well, I just discovered that this isn’t cutting-edge, fresh news. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..be/#p15772 and https://www.beatlesbible.com/1…..the-queen/

Anyway, here’s the story. The headline says the MBE is at Buckingham Palace, but the text of the story says it is at St James’s Palace.

Beatles icon John Lennon MBE found gathering dust in a draw at Buckingham Palace

The MBE medal that Beatle legend John Lennon rejected has been unearthed in a royal vault.

And now, almost 50 years on from the protest, historians are calling for it to be dusted off and put on public display.

The Fab Four were invested as Members of the British Empire in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 1965, after topping record charts around the world.

At the time hundreds of angry war veterans returned their own medals in disgust but later
Lennon decided that he had sold out to the Establishment.

He returned his MBE to The Queen on 25th November 1969 as an anti-war protest and a token of his anger at Britain’s failure to send aid to the Nigerian break-away state of Biafra.

In an accompanying letter Lennon said: “Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain’s involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against ‘Cold Turkey ‘ slipping down the charts.”

With Love, John Lennon .”

Years later he was quoted as saying: “Lots of people who complained about us getting the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war.

“They got them for killing people. We deserved ours for not killing people.

“In a way it was hypocritical of me to accept it. But I’m glad I did really, because it meant that four years later I was able to use it to make a gesture.”

Now the Liverpool Beatles fans have established that the medal has been located in a vault at St James’ Palace and are calling on Yoko Ono to retrieve it.

The medal was found in a cabinet at the Chancery Department of the Royal Household where it has lain untouched for years.

It is still in the presentation case bearing the name John Winston Lennon, and has been stored along with his protest letter.

Beatles history experts regard it as one of the most important pieces of Beatles history and are calling for the medal to be put on permanent display at “Mendips”, the childhood home John shared with his Aunt Mimi in Woolton, now operated by The National Trust.

Lennon had originally sent the medal to his Auntie Mimi and she kept it in pride of place on her mantelpiece, until John collected it and returned it to The Queen.

One Beatles fan in Liverpool said: “Let’s hope Yoko will agree that John’s medal should be displayed in his home town.

“We completely respect John’s decision to return the MBE but we also believe that showing it to the public would be appropriate since it would raise awareness of John’s campaign for peace.

“We are urging Yoko to put in a request to Buckingham Palace for them to return the medal to her.

“What she then does is her decision, but we would be delighted to have iton display in Liverpool

“It would be fitting to return the medal to the mantelpiece at Mendips.

“The Royal Household is sitting on a unique piece of Beatles history and it should not
be left to gather dust in a draw.

“The medal is a vital piece of Beatles memorabilia and should be exhibited for John’s fans to see.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman confirmed that the MBE has been located and that it remains the property of John Lennon ‘s estate.

The spokeswoman said: “John Lennon ‘s MBE is in storage at the Central Chancery at St James’ Palace.

“It has been retained since the day Mr Lennon returned it but a decision over whether the medal could go on display in a museum is not up to us.

“It would be up to Yoko Ono as she is the custodian of John Lennon ‘s estate.”

Gene Grimes of the Liverpool Beatles Appreciation Society said: “We thought John’s MBE must have been melted down or put in a new box and re-cycled.

“It’s wonderful to know that it has been kept safe all these years.

“John’s memory will live on for ever in his music but this MBE is a very precious memento.

“It would a great reminder of John’s message of love of peace that he always believed in.”

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

parlance, trcanberra
2 February 2015
2.37pm
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 73
2164sp_Permalink sp_Print

From the FourFiveSecondsVideo shoot:

“Denim never goes out of style: it’s classic, it’s iconic – just like the f*****g Beatles.”

Rihanna

The following people thank Hildy for this post:

Ahhh Girl
2 February 2015
3.19pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2165sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^ Here’s a link.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

2 February 2015
4.00pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2166sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
* LA Times article on rare photos by Bob Bonis showing up on ebay. [x-posed to the Beatles auctions thread]

Examiner article on the ebay sale.

[x-posted to the Bob Bonis thread]

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

3 February 2015
2.38am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2167sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, OK is opening a new traveling exhibit next week focusing on the Beatles’ arrival in America in 1964, “Ladies and Gentlemen The Beatles!” which was curated by the Grammy Museum.

parlance

3 February 2015
3.28am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2168sp_Permalink sp_Print

From Ringo’s site:

RINGO AND THE ALL STARR BAND TO PERFORM FREE SHOW IN BUENOS AIRES, MARCH 1
JANUARY 30, 2015

Ringo and the All Starr Band are set to perform a FREE show in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo on March 1!

The performance will take place at the intersection of Figueroa Alcorta Avenue and La Pampa Avenue in Buenos Aires City. There will only be 50,000 tickets available for the show.

[x-posted to the 2015 tour thread]

parlance

3 February 2015
6.20am
Oudis
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1491
2169sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, I have a friend who lives in Argentina. He will be ecstatic.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit” (“Perhaps one day it will be a pleasure to look back on even this”; Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 1, line 203, where Aeneas says this to his men after the shipwreck that put them on the shores of Africa)

3 February 2015
2.19pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

We have official confirmation from Paul’s official Twitter page:

Paul is confirmed to perform @TheGRAMMYs with @rihanna and @kanyewest. Watch the #FourFiveSecondsVideo HERE:

http://www.vevo.com/watch/kany…..FUA1590146

[x-posted to the collabs thread]

parlance

3 February 2015
2.22pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also, the lineup for the Concert for Eppy has been announced:

One part of the concert will feature musicians and performers from the Mersey Beat era denoting “The Spirit of The Cavern.” These will include Cy Tucker, Faron of Faron’s Flamingos, Beryl Marsden, Ray Ennis, Karl Terry, Billy Kinsley and Tony Crane, who will pay tribute to the music that was featured on the famous Cavern stage during Brian Epstein’s life.

Tucker’s band, Cy and the Cimmerons, played at the Litherland Town Hall in Liverpool on Dec. 27, 1960 on a bill with the Beatles, who were described as “Direct From Hamburg.” Billy Kinsley and Tony Crane were in the Merseybeats. Ray Ennis was vocalist and lead guitarist with the Swinging Blue Jeans. Karl Terry was a member of Karl Terry and the Cruisers. And Beryl Marsden toured with the Beatles on their last UK tour in 1964. The evening will also feature music by more recent musical talent, called “The Legacy of the Cavern,” with performances from including the MonaLisa Twins, Millie Courtney and Ian Prowse.

More at The Examiner.

[x-posted to the Brian Epstein thread]

parlance

6 February 2015
12.24am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2172sp_Permalink sp_Print

Behind the scenes look at Ringo’s Skechers shoot:

Examiner article.

parlance

7 February 2015
12.39am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2173sp_Permalink sp_Print

NY Times article on a new Taschen book of photos by the photographer who shot the cover of Double Fantasy , Kishin Shinoyama. John Lennon & Yoko Ono. It’ll run you just $700.

[x-posted to the John solo photos and new Beatles books threads]

parlance

7 February 2015
2.36am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The long lost June 24th 1963 performance of ‘Love Me Do ‘ on ‘Side By Side’ has finally surfaced and will be made available soon on one of the currently circulating ‘BBC Archive’ discs as will the complete ‘Side By Side’ theme from the same show (previously incomplete). The report goes that whats different and unique about this studio performance of ‘LMD’ is that instead of a fade-out it comes to a complete end. This will be the second previously unbooted Beatles BBC track to appear on this new collection after ‘Till There Was You ‘ from episode 13 of ‘Pop Goes The Beatles’ was included for the first time anywhere since 1963.

By jings this is damn exciting.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 February 2015
5.17am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rolling Stone article on Paul’s appearance on the Grammys with Rhianna and Kanye.

[x-posted to the Paul at the Grammys thread]

parlance

9 February 2015
4.14pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2176sp_Permalink sp_Print

Billboard article – FourFive Seconds and Only One were among the most Shazaamed and Clicks to Buy moments from the Grammys.

[x-posted to the Paul collabs thread]

parlance

9 February 2015
4.35pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2177sp_Permalink sp_Print

Highlights from the Special Merit Awards Ceremony that included the Lifetime Achievement Grammy for George.

If you missed the main ceremony last night, Smokey Robinson and Nile Rodgers made mention of George’s award.

[x-posted to the Fiendish Thingies thread]

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

trcanberra

10 February 2015
1.00am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2178sp_Permalink sp_Print

From Classic Hits and Oldies. Deadline is tonight.

Ringo Starr is making a video for the title track of his upcoming album, Postcards from Paradise, and he’s seeking a little help from his fans.  The ex-Beatles drummer has launched a fun new promotion asking his faithful followers to submit photos of what they consider a depiction of paradise, and some of these images will be chosen to be included in the upcoming promo clip.

You can share your pics via Twitter and Instagram by using the hashtag #RingoPostcardsContest.  Don’t wait too long, though — the photos must submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, February 9.  For more details, visit RingoPostcards.com.

Postcards from Paradise, Starr’s 18th studio album, is scheduled to be released on March 31.  The record includes contributions from Ringo’s current All Starr Band members: Steve Lukather, Todd Rundgren,Gregg Rolie, Richard Page, Warren Ham and Gregg Bissonette.  It also features guest appearances byJoe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Benmont Tench, Dave Stewart, Richard Marx, Nathan East and more.

Ringo and his All Starr Band kick off their latest tour on Friday, February 13, in Bossier City, Louisiana.

[x-posted to the Postcards from Paradise thread]

parlance

10 February 2015
10.27pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2179sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wonder how much albums Ringo actually sells these days

10 February 2015
11.56pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2180sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’d guess low thousands. This very uncomplimentary blog puts first week sales of ‘Ringo 2012’ as 6,300 in the US and 752 in the UK.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694