Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
5 January 2015
2.13am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2121sp_Permalink sp_Print

Macca faces music industry mega-battle for rights to old Beatles songs

SIR Paul McCartney is facing a battle of the music billionaires in his bid to buy back the rights to 251 Beatles songs written by him and John Lennon .

article

Paul McCartney facing tough competition for bid of Beatles’ songs

Sir Paul McCartney , who is planning to bid for rights of 251 Beatles songs written by him and John Lennon , is reportedly facing a tough competition for his bid.

Sony Music is planning to sell its 50 percent share in the back catalogue which brings in tens of millions of pounds in royalties every year following the devastating hack attack on the company’s computers, the Daily Star reported.

A senior Sony Music executive said that this could evolve into one of the biggest financial battles the music industry had ever seen.

article

Regrets if this has previously been posted.  Articles are dated 4 January, so I’m assuming this is recent news.

5 January 2015
3.12am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2122sp_Permalink sp_Print

As true as this might be i would want a more substantial source than ‘The Daily Star’ which is even less respected than ‘The Sun before truly believing it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 January 2015
4.01am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
2123sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
As true as this might be i would want a more substantial source than ‘The Daily Star’ which is even less respected than ‘The Sun before truly believing it.

Well… yeah.  I did put two sources.  Going deeper, there are a few more ‘reputable’ agencies carrying related stories.

Here’s a third, from Bloomberg.  Although, this is dated a couple weeks ago.

A fourth, from The Wall Street Journal.

Though both of these are stories of how it was learned.  As a result of their hacking, information was found that Sony was considering selling off their stake.

The following people thank C.R.A. for this post:

meanmistermustard
5 January 2015
11.36am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2124sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. The second article you posted had their source as the Daily Star, only reason why i mentioned it.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

C.R.A.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 January 2015
4.24pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

In case anyone missed it, the Beatles Bibles End of the Year award winners have been announced.

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

trcanberra

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

5 January 2015
9.59pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2126sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Oo, oo, oo, I can’t wait for Ringo’s new record.

Indeed – I hope the local store stocks it – they have been pretty poor of late with none of the George or Paul reissues in stock. I’ll get it anyway of course, but like to see Beatles thingies on the shelves.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

6 January 2015
2.46pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
2127sp_Permalink sp_Print

Found a couple articles, admittedly the second isn’t anything specifically Beatles but echoes a sentiment many of us might agree with.  At least what’s on the pop charts themselves, maybe not in the entire body of music being made today.  The second makes the point that as a genre matures, its song “complexity” decreases.  The second expresses the fact that today’s pop stars don’t follow the muse (which I guess has been true all along) but rather the money.

My own opinion is that it’s far less important that people know who Paul is than it is to know the music. Of course, lots of people don’t care about “the music”.  My own mom, who at 76 is starting to like listening to music, admittedly only liked music with a good dance beat most of her life.

Let go of questions like “Will Miley be remembered in 50 years” and ask “In 200 years, will the Beatles be remembered as well as the classical composers are today?  I think an argument can be made for it, as the Beatles had a far greater effect not just music but society as a whole than any other modern musician I can think of.

http://www.theatlantic.com/ent…..is/384229/

http://www.theatlantic.com/ent…..ls/384181/

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

6 January 2015
8.01pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2128sp_Permalink sp_Print

C.R.A. said

meanmistermustard said

Well… yeah.  I did put two sources.  Going deeper, there are a few more ‘reputable’ agencies carrying related stories.

Though both of these are stories of how it was learned.  As a result of their hacking, information was found that Sony was considering selling off their stake.

Regardless of the source, just keep in mind that this is all speculation based on the leaked emails.

Also, Sony was threatening to sue any sources that posted the emails, which is why I didn’t post the info here myself. I don’t think there’s much to the threat, but just a word of caution.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

8 January 2015
2.00pm
Beatleva
In my life
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 672
2129sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ray McFall, former owner of the Cavern Club, has passed away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entert…..s-30725308

9 January 2015
4.43pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

A 12″ of Paul’s “Hope For The Future ” will be released next week.

[x-posted to the Hope For The Future thread]

parlance

9 January 2015
4.56pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2131sp_Permalink sp_Print

For anyone who’ll be in LA between March and August this year, at the Skirball CenterRock ’N’ Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip

Featuring stunning photographs of hand-painted billboards that dominated the Los Angeles landscape for almost two decades, Rock ’N’ Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip brings to life a unique period in the history of rock ’n’ roll and the fabled Sunset Strip, whose nightclubs were the birthplace of rock ’n’ roll royalty. Photographer Robert Landau traces the billboard phenomenon from the breakthrough promotion for the debut album by The Doors in 1967 to the advent of MTV in the 1980s, which signaled the end of an era.

In 1967 the head of Elektra Records took the bold step of renting out a billboard on West Hollywood’s historic Sunset Strip to promote a little-known Los Angeles rock band called The Doors. For the next fifteen years, the Strip exploded with the vibrant art of a generation bent on changing the world—and selling some records at the same time. Once The Doors had paved the way, everyone from The Beatles and Bob Dylan to Frank Zappa and Led Zeppelin wanted to be represented on the one-of-a-kind wooden panels that lined the boulevard. In those years, the Sunset Strip was the heart and soul of a vibrant music scene—home to legendary nightclubs, record companies, and record stores. From the 1960s to the 1980s, rock ’n’ roll billboards dominated the Strip, looming over the boulevard for just a month or two at a time before being dismantled, whitewashed, and given a new incarnation. Robert Landau, a teenager at the time, was there to document these ephemeral pop art masterpieces.

Presented as a companion to the simultaneous exhibition Bill Graham and the Rock & Roll Revolution , Rock ’N’ Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip adds a local dimension to the story of rock promotion over the course of three exciting decades. Get a glimpse into Los Angeles’s recent past through Landau’s extraordinary photographs, powerful documents of this colorful and fleeting period in American popular culture.

parlance

9 January 2015
8.16pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2132sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatleva said

Ray McFall, former owner of the Cavern Club, has passed away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entert…..s-30725308

Thanks for the heads up @Beatleva – I hadn’t heard. He was definitely a significant person in the Beatles story.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatleva

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

9 January 2015
9.07pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2133sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul has been asked to sing on a “save Soho” project song.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/97…..-soho-song

I wonder if he will do it.

10 January 2015
3.49am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2134sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul’s DJ Chris Holmes is looking to launch a line of hyper-reflective, anti-paparazzi clothing for men.

[x-posted to the Out There tour thread]

parlance

12 January 2015
5.26pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2135sp_Permalink sp_Print

WogBlog article on the Beatles catalog being made available at 192 khz for Neil Young’s music player and library, Pono.

parlance

12 January 2015
8.00pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2136sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
WogBlog article on the Beatles catalog being made available at 192 khz for Neil Young’s music player and library, Pono.

parlance

So is this the ultimate best possible way to listen to the Beatles catalogue now replacing those tired old crappy 2009 stereo remasters that we sold a kidney and two children for?

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

parlance

13 January 2015
1.02am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2137sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said

C.R.A. said

meanmistermustard said

Regardless of the source, just keep in mind that this is all speculation based on the leaked emails.

Also, Sony was threatening to sue any sources that posted the emails, which is why I didn’t post the info here myself. I don’t think there’s much to the threat, but just a word of caution.

parlance

A follow-up: Sony is denying that a sale is under consideration.

parlance

13 January 2015
7.25pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Crowds in Paris sing Imagine (mostly you hear John’s voice)

Parisians looked to John Lennon for inspiration in their darkest moment by singing his iconic “Imagine ” at Sunday’s rally in the French capital.

The rallies of national unity were organized to honor the 17 victims of two terrorist attacks, one on weekly satire magazine Charlie Hebdo. The Paris rally saw up to two million hit the streets, as well as more than 40 world leaders.

In total, 3.7 million people joined public demonstrations across France.

Watch a video of the crowd singing “Imagine ” at the Paris rally below…

Another article

During the March of Unity, which saw close to two million people take to the streets of Paris in a demonstration of unity and tolerance in the face of terrorism, one person thought the march needed a soundtrack.

That is why a group of friends whose flat over looked the route of the march played some anthems of peace, including John Lennon ’s iconic song Imagine , out to the crowd.

Unsurprisingly the spirit of the day shone through and the demonstrators came together to sing along to the famous tune, before applauding themselves and each other at the song’s conclusion.

Imagine was only one of the many songs played out to the crowd, as the impromptu DJ said: ‘We played a lot of Bob Marley, All You Need Is Love by The Beatles, and a bunch of French songs like Douce France, and some Georges Brassens.

‘I don’t remember it all, we played music all afternoon. Imagine was the most successful of them all by far though.’

The March of Unity was in response to the horrific acts of terrorism perpetrated in and around the French capital last week, and has already been been one of the largest and most significant demonstrations in French history.

14 January 2015
1.42am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

There’s a Kickstarter to raise funds for a plaque at Brian’s birthplace.

[x-posted to the Brian Epstein thread]

parlance

14 January 2015
2.04am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2140sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just got this magazine today. I looked it up and found out that it came out in the UK in November, so maybe it isn’t really “news”, but it is news to me. I’m not sure when it came out in the USA.

20150113_193713.jpgImage Enlarger

Perhaps this is where the true beginning of the Kayne West fan thing…notice the word “introducing”…odd

Uncut-Paul-Magazine.JPGImage Enlarger

Here’s a synopsis.
Snippets from the article:

And there it was: the end of something that changed the world, and the start of the rest of Paul McCartney ‘s life. It is those 44, frequently remarkable, years that we’re focusing on in this latest edition of the Uncut Ultimate Music Guide,…

There are frank reflections on life past and present, bantering encounters with Wings, a constant and fascinating narrative about how McCartney tries to reconcile being “Mr Normal” with being, well, Sir Paul McCartney . There’s also an epic interview from a 2004 issue of Uncut, in which McCartney, a shrewd media operator ever since the earliest days of The Beatles, talks with unprecedented candour about every phase of his career.

“I’ve put out an awful lot of records. Some of them I shouldn’t have put out, sure,” he admits in the piece. “I’d gladly accept that. There’s many different reasons for putting a record out. Sometimes I might just put one out because I’m bored and I’ve got nothing better to do. That happens.”

Few artists, in the post-war era, have had anything remotely close to the cultural impact of Paul McCartney . Nevertheless, his discography is surprisingly full of odd excursions and experiments, of great songs hidden away and half-forgotten. This Uncut Ultimate Guide is, we hope, a key to the treasures of Macca’s long, engrossing second act – like “Secret Friend”, for example, a “McCartney II “-era B-side…

I got the salt and pepper shakers that are in my picture from a very nice BBer and wanted to show them off.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Father McCartney
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694