Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles News
17 December 2014
11.27pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Prices are also down in the UK iTunes store; single cd’s (excluding ‘1’) are £6.99, Red, Blue, White and BBC double albums are £9.99, Anthology 1, 2 & 3 £14.99.

Would be nice if these were the standard prices from now on and now just to cover the Christmas and New Year period.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 December 2014
7.51pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2102sp_Permalink sp_Print

George will be honored with a lifetime achievement Grammy at next year’s ceremonies. [x-posted to the Fiendish Thingies thread]

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

Merch

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

20 December 2014
12.15am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Sacred Goose Productions, an LA-based company, have posted a 34-minute video on YouTube in which 550 celebrities answer the age old question: Lennon or McCartney?

Among those who appear are Robert DeNiro, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Priyanka Chopra, The 1975, The Goo Goo Dolls, Big Sean, Carrie Underwood, New Kids on the Block, Fall Out Boy, Pete Townshend, Scott Weiland, Sam Smith, Bridgit Mendler, Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Hart, Robbie Robertson, Lights, David Byrne and a whole load more.

Some stuck to one, some said more, some answered quickly, some thought it through, and some didn’t answer at all.

This is the final tally:

Lennon: 282
McCartney: 196
No answer: 50
Ringo Starr : 4
George Harrison : 15
Jimi Hendrix: 1
Lou Reed: 1
Keith Richards: 1
Oasis: 1

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but it is kinda news – there have been articles about it, I discovered it here – so plumped for here. If there’s somewhere more apt, feel free to move. (And I apologise if it’s already been posted, this is my first day back after a few days involuntary absence – fecking Vodafone!)

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

meanmistermustard, georgiewood, Ahhh Girl, C.R.A., Merch, StrawberryFieldsForever, LongHairedLady, AppleScruffJunior, Expert Textpert

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 December 2014
12.21am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I find that strangely compelling and would watch it all the way thru but i’m tired and need to sleep. Thanks for posting it @Ron Nasty.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 December 2014
1.27am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792

That was really fun, Ron. Welcome back. apple01

Edit: Such an interesting study!  I think John benefited because the sample group was composed of mostly artists, who could be expected to identify with John. I think there is also a sympathy factor favoring John.

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

20 December 2014
10.54pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmm wouldn’t have thought the Metallica guys were Beatles fans. Knew Kirk has quite a good taste in music though.

I thought Gem would have said McCartney.

That was cool, but I didn’t know 2/3rd of the people in it.

23 December 2014
1.45pm
StrawberryFieldsForever
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 833

George is to be honoured with Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

EDIT:

Note to self: no, you can’t beat @parlance .

The following people thank StrawberryFieldsForever for this post:

parlance, Ahhh Girl
23 December 2014
4.13pm
StrawberryFieldsForever
Shea Stadium
Members
2108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Sacred Goose Productions, an LA-based company, have posted a 34-minute video on YouTube in which 550 celebrities answer the age old question: Lennon or McCartney?

Among those who appear are Robert DeNiro, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Priyanka Chopra, The 1975, The Goo Goo Dolls, Big Sean, Carrie Underwood, New Kids on the Block, Fall Out Boy, Pete Townshend, Scott Weiland, Sam Smith, Bridgit Mendler, Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Hart, Robbie Robertson, Lights, David Byrne and a whole load more.

Some stuck to one, some said more, some answered quickly, some thought it through, and some didn’t answer at all.

This is the final tally:

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but it is kinda news – there have been articles about it, I discovered it here – so plumped for here. If there’s somewhere more apt, feel free to move. (And I apologise if it’s already been posted, this is my first day back after a few days involuntary absence – fecking Vodafone!)

Asking to choose between Lennon and McCartney with WMGGW’s instrumental in the background…BEATLES ALL THE WAY!!!

It was after watching this video that it hit me how old a phenomenon The Beatles is. Up until now whenever I’d look back on history with the Beatles’ perspective and compare it with the political happenings of the then time, I’d always and still do, find the latter more historical. For e.g. in my mind the actual 60s is older than the Beatles’ 60s. I know I don’t sound sound here.a-hard-days-night-john-2

The following people thank StrawberryFieldsForever for this post:

Zig, Expert Textpert
23 December 2014
7.29pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2109sp_Permalink sp_Print

StrawberryFieldsForever said

Up until now whenever I’d look back on history with the Beatles’ perspective and compare it with the political happenings of the then time, I’d always and still do, find the latter more historical.

@StrawberryFieldsForever you would most likely enjoy Can’t Buy Me Love by Jonathan Gould. His book does just that. Excellent read.

cbmlImage Enlarger

The following people thank Zig for this post:

thisbirdhasflown, StrawberryFieldsForever

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

23 December 2014
7.43pm
StrawberryFieldsForever
Shea Stadium
Members
2110sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Zig, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll definitely try to get my hands on that one.

24 December 2014
1.26am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will heartily throw another voice into recommending Gould’s ‘Can’t Buy Me Love ‘. An absorbing read that you’ll be gripped by, really helps you understand the Sixties in line with the Beatles instead of many books which either removes them entirely or only touches on the changing times.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

StrawberryFieldsForever

24 December 2014
4.58am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
2112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

This is the final tally:

I feel the same way a lot of people described it:  Overall, I love Paul’s voice, and John’s writing.  So I couldn’t really choose..

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

27 December 2014
8.23pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2113sp_Permalink sp_Print

A video update from Ringo:

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

meanmistermustard, Starr Shine?, trcanberra

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

27 December 2014
10.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2114sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

000130f9_medium.jpegImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

parlance, StrawberryFieldsForever, AppleScruffJunior

27 December 2014
10.33pm
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
2115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, parlance.  Peace & Love; Peace & Love. 

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

parlance

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

28 December 2014
12.20am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2116sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oo, oo, oo, I can’t wait for Ringo’s new record.

28 December 2014
3.32am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
2117sp_Permalink sp_Print

Me either!

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

30 December 2014
10.41pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
2118sp_Permalink sp_Print

Examiner article on Peter Asher is being named CBE:

Peter Asher of Peter and Gordon is being honored by Queen Elizabeth II with the title of a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2015 New Year’s Honours list being released Dec. 30, Beatles Examiner learned today. He will be honored for services to the British music industry as musician, manager and record producer.

More at the link.

parlance

1 January 2015
4.36pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

The Kanye/Paul collaboration, “Only One,” has been released. You can buy it only through iTunes UK, but if you search at Soundcloud for Kanye and Paul you can stream it.

I rather like it. Paul’s singing and playing keyboards on it.

Edit: Pitchfork article with a press release.

[x-posted to the Paul collabs thread by myself and MMM]

parlance

4 January 2015
10.24pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2120sp_Permalink sp_Print

I decided to give it a listen but I only heard some autotuned grumble so after 15 second I turned it off. I thought Paul only played keys on it, but now I know he sings on it too, I’ll give it a listen.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694