Log In

Please consider registering
Guest

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters

Register Ranks

Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Beatles at Woodstock
RSS
Avatar
StarWisher
1154 Posts
(Offline)
21
17 December 2010 - 3.31am

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

StarWisher said:

With an hour they could have done some kind of collaboration with Ravi Shankar who was there.


Ravi Shankar was a world-class musician.  Absolutely amazing.  You can watch him in "Monterey Pop", the movie about the big music fest before Woodstock.
 

You know who Ravi's daughter is, right?  Norah Jones.  Her full name is Geethali Norah Jones Shankar.


Ahhh! Yes, I knew she was his daughter but I had made up this story in my head to explain why she was "Nora Jones" and her sister was named...Anoushka, is it?  Ah, anyways, they are apparently half-sisters. Thank you, Google.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." — Dr. Seuss

 

 

Avatar
DoctorRobert
Through the bathroom window
396 Posts
(Offline)
22
17 December 2010 - 1.57pm

StarWisher said:

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

StarWisher said:

With an hour they could have done some kind of collaboration with Ravi Shankar who was there.


Ravi Shankar was a world-class musician.  Absolutely amazing.  You can watch him in "Monterey Pop", the movie about the big music fest before Woodstock.

 

You know who Ravi's daughter is, right?  Norah Jones.  Her full name is Geethali Norah Jones Shankar.


Ahhh! Yes, I knew she was his daughter but I had made up this story in my head to explain why she was "Nora Jones" and her sister was named...Anoushka, is it?  Ah, anyways, they are apparently half-sisters. Thank you, Google.
 

Yeah, Anoushka played at Concert for George. Wonderfully I must say.

You all will have read that Dave Dee is no longer with us. But Mickey and Titch and I would like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in number two.

Avatar
deboraht
23 Posts
(Offline)
23
4 February 2011 - 11.11pm

The beatles were not a tight unit at that stage, they would have bombed unless the practisied

Avatar
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
1206 Posts
(Offline)
24
4 February 2011 - 11.33pm

deboraht said:

The beatles were not a tight unit at that stage, they would have bombed unless the practisied


I would think they would practice. Paul would probably have formed them too.

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.

Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
4512 Posts
(Offline)
25
8 February 2011 - 12.41pm

They spent most of January 1969 practising for a live show. They didn't seem to enjoy it all that much. I think a Woodstock appearance would have broken them.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

Avatar
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

8728 Posts
(Online)
26
8 February 2011 - 3.09pm

Joe said:

They spent most of January 1969 practising for a live show. They didn't seem to enjoy it all that much. I think a Woodstock appearance would have broken them.


That's an interesting thought. Joe. I'd have to think about that for a while.

My first reaction is to agree with you. But then, I think the audience at Woodstock would not have been filled with screaming little girls. A well-rehearsed act at Woodstock could have led towards turning things around.

Yes sir, this could be an interesting discussion indeed.neil-aspinall

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Bongo

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

Avatar
Joe
Pepperland
4512 Posts
(Offline)
27
8 February 2011 - 4.58pm

It might have made the difference. IIRC Woodstock took place in August 1969, and Toronto was in September. Toronto was the first Plastic Ono Band gig, and on the way out John Lennon decided to leave The Beatles. If they'd played at Woodstock and it had gone well it might have taken things the other way, at least for a while.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

Avatar
Lets pretend we just cant see her face
162 Posts
(Offline)
28
8 February 2011 - 6.18pm

It wouldn't have happened because George refused to play in front of an audience anymore. The only reason he did the rooftop concert was because he didn't have to be right in front of every one. If they were rehearsing for Woodstock and George stormed out he probably wouldn't have been able to be convinced to come back like in Let It Be.

When are you free to take some tea with me?

Avatar
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
1327 Posts
(Offline)
29
8 February 2011 - 6.19pm

This reminds me of the (one sided) conversation between Paul and John from the Let it Be movie in which Paul says that the Beatles were just nervous and that once they got over that nervousness is when they really excelled as a band. That was Paul's reason for wanting to have them perform somewhere for the conclusion of the Let it Be movie because it seems as if they had become too inhibited as just a studio group. Not that they were inhibited by the studio, but rather they were inhibiting each other and that's why Billy Preston was brought in.

I think they sounded pretty spectacular at the rooftop performance as a group for the most part and if that's the end result of a rather unmotivated effort, imagine what they could have been like had they been motivated and excited to perform at Woodstock. But the key would have been Lennon, had he been excited to actually do something, I think it would have worked out just fine. Then again, would he have insisted that Yoko join them on stage?

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

Avatar
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
2815 Posts
(Offline)
30
8 February 2011 - 8.04pm

It's all down to a "what if?" exercise.  I've already imagined a scenario where Yoko performs onstage, although John persuades her to stick to tambourine or some unobtrusive keyboards for the most part.

17

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
31
8 February 2011 - 8.08pm

I say a performance means the band never releases Let It Be

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
StarWisher
1154 Posts
(Offline)
32
8 February 2011 - 8.21pm

mr. Sun king coming together said:

I say a performance means the band never releases Let It Be


That could very well be. A live album means no studio time. I hate to ask this, but were they on Apple at this point in time? Because if they weren't, the easiest way to satisfy a record company's provisions to make x number of albums before the contract is renewed or they are released is to put out live albums and greatest hits compilations.
 

But it looks like they were on their own at this point. Oh well. Interesting theory, anyways.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." — Dr. Seuss

 

 

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
33
8 February 2011 - 8.42pm

StarWisher said:

mr. Sun king coming together said:

I say a performance means the band never releases Let It Be


That could very well be. A live album means no studio time. I hate to ask this, but were they on Apple at this point in time? Because if they weren't, the easiest way to satisfy a record company's provisions to make x number of albums before the contract is renewed or they are released is to put out live albums and greatest hits compilations.

 

But it looks like they were on their own at this point. Oh well. Interesting theory, anyways.


I say that because Paul, Ringo and George never would have recorded I Me Mine or some of the Overdubs they did.

 

*9*

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Marcelo
478 Posts
(Offline)
34
8 February 2011 - 10.05pm

Celebrated_Mr_K said:

StarWisher said:

With an hour they could have done some kind of collaboration with Ravi Shankar who was there.


Ravi Shankar was a world-class musician.  Absolutely amazing.  You can watch him in "Monterey Pop", the movie about the big music fest before Woodstock.
 

You know who Ravi's daughter is, right?  Norah Jones.  Her full name is Geethali Norah Jones Shankar.


That's a mystery to me: How could an ugly dad had had such a beautiful daughter?

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

Marcelo
478 Posts
(Offline)
35
8 February 2011 - 10.13pm

vonbontee said:

It's all down to a "what if?" exercise.  I've already imagined a scenario where Yoko performs onstage, although John persuades her to stick to tambourine or some unobtrusive keyboards for the most part.

17


Yoko didn't perform in the rooftop concert, did her? But she do in Rock'n'Roll Circus...

 

It would have been all up to John to play a decent set or let his lady scream like a banshee.

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

Avatar
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
6429 Posts
(Offline)
36
9 February 2011 - 12.23am

Marcelo said:

vonbontee said:

It's all down to a "what if?" exercise.  I've already imagined a scenario where Yoko performs onstage, although John persuades her to stick to tambourine or some unobtrusive keyboards for the most part.

17


Yoko didn't perform in the rooftop concert, did her? But she do in Rock'n'Roll Circus...
 

It would have been all up to John to play a decent set or let his lady scream like a banshee.


Or do both as in the Toronto show.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

Avatar
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
4618 Posts
(Offline)
37
9 February 2011 - 3.56am

Marcelo said:

You know who Ravi's daughter is, right?  Norah Jones.  Her full name is Geethali Norah Jones Shankar.


That's a mystery to me: How could an ugly dad had had such a beautiful daughter?
 

It's the Disney law.

 

Ugly Dad.

 

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger
Image Enlarger

 

Beautiful daughter.

 

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

Avatar
skye
AZ
2252 Posts
(Offline)
38
9 February 2011 - 1.27pm

And no mother.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!

Marcelo
478 Posts
(Offline)
39
9 February 2011 - 2.35pm

skye said:

And no mother.


In every case, The father kill the mother and eat her.

I'd like to say "thank you" on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition.
John Lennon

Avatar
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

8728 Posts
(Online)
40
9 February 2011 - 2.56pm

Marcelo said:

skye said:

And no mother.


In every case, The father kill the mother and eat her.

Wow - Walt Disney meets Wes Craven.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Joe
Ellie

Moderators:
Ahhh Girl
meanmistermustard
Zig
Joe

Top Posters:

Starr Shine?: 12288

Silly Girl: 8623

parlance: 7065

mr. Sun king coming together: 6429

Mr. Kite: 6131

trcanberra: 5856

Ron Nasty: 5562

Necko: 5470

mithveaen: 4618

AppleScruffJunior: 4056

Newest Members:

Pauls Grandfather

Sean

markus567r

herseydenvar2

JohnBeatle

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 42

Topics: 4013

Posts: 227929

 

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 3637

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Zig, Necko, meanmistermustard, Ron Nasty, Expert Textpert, Ahhh Girl, Sugarplum fairy, georgiewood, BeatleSnut, WeepingAtlasCedars, William Shears Campbell, Ram4
73 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today: O Boogie
Upcoming: Amber1965