Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Rolling Stone top 100 List
21 July 2013
12.28pm
Anderson
The Jacaranda
Members
Forum Posts: 27
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Does anyone else feel that this list is terrible?  

http://mediocremusicblog.com/2…..-all-time/

Granted, they had enough good taste to put “I Want To Hold Your Hand ” second, but “Sexy Sadie ” at #93 and “Hey Bulldog ” at #81?  Those are the two best basslines McCartney ever wrote!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.

21 July 2013
1.52pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 666

These things are so arbitrary.  While Rolling Stone is usually fairly reliable and surprisingly unbiased with most of its lists (the 500 Greatest Albums list was very fair and inclusive), there’s just no practical way to take a catalogue of 300 songs (or about 225 written by the band) and whittle it down to 100 without leaving off masterpieces.

E is for 'Ergent'.

21 July 2013
1.55pm
Anderson
The Jacaranda
Members

I thought the RS 500 Greatest list had a massive baby boomer bias, and that having 9 out of the top 10 as white artists was a joke.  Leaving Miles Davis out of the top 10, and not a single John Coletrain record?  Please.  They should have just done the 500 greatest albums by white baby boomers and been done with it.

21 July 2013
2.08pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members

But to be fair, their choices have stood the test of time and are universally lauded.  And the entire list includes a plethora of black artists and black-dominated genres, like rap and blues.  Jazz was certainly unrepresented, but mostly because RS doesn’t consider itself an authority on Jazz (at least not anymore).  Jazz really deserves its own list anyway.

When you try to be overly-inclusive, your list becomes meaningless.  Entertainment Weekly recently made a list of what they consider the best 100 albums of all-time, and they called Kayne West’s 2010 ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’ #8, Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ #4, Adele’s ’21’ #17 and Notorious B.I.G.’s ‘Ready To Die’ #31.

Sgt. Pepper …?  Didn’t make the list.

Blonde on Blonde…?  Didn’t make the list.

Never Mind The Bollocks…?  Didn’t make the list.

While Kayne, MJ, Adele and Biggie’s albums can certainly be called good representations of their genres, 3 of them have yet to stand the real test of time and ‘Thriller’ beat out a long list of far better-reviewed albums throughout history.

E is for 'Ergent'.

21 July 2013
2.26pm
Anderson
The Jacaranda
Members

If we’re being fair, then four Beatles albums in the top 10 is sheer baby boomer indulgence.  Let’s grant for a moment that Rolling Stone should stick to their area (popular rock culture).  Are You Experienced and Nevermind should have been in the top 10, simply by virtue of cultural impact.  

Speaking of Never Mind the Bullocks, I find it revealing that Rolling Stone manages to recognize Black Flag (white) and even Sonic Youth (white), but the Bad Brains (the all-black band that basically invented hardcore) doesn’t make the list?  Credibility lost.  

21 July 2013
2.34pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Perhaps we can both agree that *any* attempt to create a definitive list of the “best” *anything* is bound to be fraught with omissions and bias.  No matter how well-researched and objective any list is, there will always be legitimate arguments that can be made about what was included and left off.

E is for 'Ergent'.

21 July 2013
2.41pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members

And if you want your brain to explode, refer to this list:  http://www.thetoptens.com/albums/

E is for 'Ergent'.

21 July 2013
11.09pm
Duke_of_Kirkcaldy
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 270

The omission of “It’s All Too Much ” only reinforces my belief that it’s the group’s most all-time criminally underrated song.  ahdn_george_05  Glad to see “Long, Long, Long ,” “All I’ve Got To Do ” and “Two of Us” made it, though.

22 July 2013
12.22am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

SatanHimself said
And if you want your brain to explode, refer to this list:  http://www.thetoptens.com/albums/

Hmm I think that’s a pretty good list. Except for the last 2 albums. That was quite random.

Tbh, I never understood why Thriller makes #1 on so many Best Album lists. Is it really THAT brilliant and wonderful?

22 July 2013
5.46am
Gerard
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 683

They probably considered the number of copies an album sold.

22 July 2013
4.16pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Linde said

Tbh, I never understood why Thriller makes #1 on so many Best Album lists. Is it really THAT brilliant and wonderful?

It’s a very good album, and was a groundbreaking pop record.  But much in the same way that people now suggest that the soundtrack to “The Bodyguard” is some amazing work of art, it’s popularity has been inflated by MJ’s death.

Double Fantasy ” still rides that wave, if you think about it. 

E is for 'Ergent'.

22 July 2013
4.25pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I’ve always thought Thriller was a fantastic set of videos, but bar two or three tracks, musically was overrated. Take away the videos and the advent of MTV, would it have gained the attention it did? Myself, I doubt it.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

22 July 2013
4.42pm
mccartneyalarm
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 243

After Rolling Stone put the terrorist who carried out the Boston Marathon masacre on their cover this past week, I think we should all boycott Rolling Stone anyway!!! Can’t imagine what they were thinking! (Won’t mention the guy’s name as I won’t mention John’s murderer ever again!)

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

22 July 2013
8.31pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

mccartneyalarm said
After Rolling Stone put the terrorist who carried out the Boston Marathon masacre on their cover this past week, I think we should all boycott Rolling Stone anyway!!! Can’t imagine what they were thinking! (Won’t mention the guy’s name as I won’t mention John’s murderer ever again!)

I was thinking that very thing when I first started reading this thread. Why do we need to put killers’ faces on magazine covers? Are sales of RS really that bad?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

26 July 2013
2.31pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

Apparently. 

Tbh, I can’t even remember the guy’s name.

Also, I can’t imagine someone thinking ”Hey let’s put Boston Marathon Terrorist Guy on the cover. Now that’ll look fresh and cool” and the whole staff agreeing with him? Dafuq. Like, whyyyy? Ran out of musicians?

26 July 2013
3.00pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

SatanHimself said

Linde said

It’s a very good album, and was a groundbreaking pop record.  But much in the same way that people now suggest that the soundtrack to “The Bodyguard” is some amazing work of art, it’s popularity has been inflated by MJ’s death.

Double Fantasy ” still rides that wave, if you think about it. 

But Thriller’s place in pop history was cemented well before MJ’s death. I’ve had a copy since the album came out, and I was instantly impressed by the fact that, unlike most pop albums at the time, it had no filler songs. It’s still one of the few I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

26 July 2013
3.04pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

Linde said
Apparently. 

Tbh, I can’t even remember the guy’s name.

Also, I can’t imagine someone thinking ”Hey let’s put Boston Marathon Terrorist Guy on the cover. Now that’ll look fresh and cool” and the whole staff agreeing with him? Dafuq. Like, whyyyy? Ran out of musicians?

I’m not going to get into the debate on that cover specifically, but I think people do need to keep in mind that RS has a history of journalism and political coverage that extends beyond music, so it’s not out of place in the context of its history.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

27 July 2013
4.35pm
Scoun
Massachusetts
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 69

So…anyway…back to the Beatles list. It’s just “meh” if you ask me, some of the reasons being they put Within You Without You at 96, Rain at 88, Hey Bulldog at 81, Dear Prudence at 63, Helter Skelter at 52, etc…oh well, I guess a lot of it is a matter of opinion. I do agree with what they chose for #1, though.

Questo abrigado tanta mucho que can eat it carousel

27 July 2013
8.52pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Back on topic!

Within You Without You “, while definitely an interesting song, is no reason to leave “Lovely Rita ” off the list.

E is for 'Ergent'.

7 August 2013
10.37pm
PleasePleaseMe21
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 14

I might have missed it, but I’m pretty sure “Eight Days A Week ” was not on that list! I also wished they had put in “Another Girl ” (just one of my own personal favorites) And “Lovely Rita ” also deserved a spot on there. I still think “Yesterday ” is the most overrated Beatles song, and I’m not a huge fan of “Mother Nature’s Son “. And “Got To Get You Into My Life ” probably shouldn’t have been over great songs like “If I Needed Someone ” or “Helter Skelter “. But then again, this is all just my opinion.a-hard-days-night-george-3

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691