Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2018 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
16 March 2018
1.32am
SpecialCup
eating chocolate cake in a bag
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 231
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clearly, Heather Mills enlisted twenty of her lawyers to participate in the 2018 Canon Poll and tank several of Paul’s greatest songs. This is the only explanation for the severe underrating of “And I Love Her ,” “Yesterday ,” and “You Won’t See Me ,” among others.  I’ve also been informed by a reliable source that Allen Klein, before he died, directed his estate to sabotage George’s showing in any future Beatles Bible Canon Polls; we see another casualty here in “Long, Long, Long .”

This Boy ” is a bit overrated here and doesn’t deserve to be breathing the same air as “No Reply ,” “I’m Looking Through You ,” and “Savoy Truffle .” “Polythene Pam ” and “Don’t Let Me Down ” rule Bartertown, but “Yer Blues ” is the ultimate poseur song.  

The following people thank SpecialCup for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Ahhh Girl

"Life is good; life is wonderful, and with friends like these, who needs life?"

16 March 2018
2.33am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
142sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpecialCup said
Clearly, Heather Mills enlisted twenty of her lawyers to participate in the 2018 Canon Poll and tank several of Paul’s greatest songs. This is the only explanation for the severe underrating of “And I Love Her ,” “Yesterday ,” and “You Won’t See Me ,” among others.  I’ve also been informed by a reliable source that Allen Klein, before he died, directed his estate to sabotage George’s showing in any future Beatles Bible Canon Polls; we see another casualty here in “Long, Long, Long .”

This Boy ” is a bit overrated here and doesn’t deserve to be breathing the same air as “No Reply ,” “I’m Looking Through You ,” and “Savoy Truffle .” “Polythene Pam ” and “Don’t Let Me Down ” rule Bartertown, but “Yer Blues ” is the ultimate poseur song.    

a-hard-days-night-ringo-10Haha

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

16 March 2018
5.39am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
143sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m a White Album fan so naturally I want many of its songs to be in a higher bracket. But IWYSSH is pretty low given its pedigree. It’s amusing to think that some Beatles fans still don’t “get” some songs thus proving their work is still controversial 50 years on. It’s pretty sophisticated musically, I would call it a later-stage take on Yer Blues , I see an element of parody/satire in both (though perhaps less explicit in IWYSSH ).

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

16 March 2018
7.08am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
144sp_Permalink sp_Print

@The Hole Got Fixed 

@Zig said
Swill, she says. Harrumph! a-hard-days-night-paul-11

I didn’t know I got a gender change last night! *checks in the mirror*

Sorry about the sex change, Oh Holey One. Spell checking only works if the word is spelled incorrectly. I apologize for the extra “s” and my inferior editing skills.  paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

I don’t like Yer Blues because it sounds… cramped, and like they’re putting in too much energy. The song needed less energy (and a better edit for the outro) to do it justice, if that makes sense. 

Also, 12-bar blues is great, but gets boring to listen to if it isn’t executed perfectly.   

One of the most fascinating aspects of music is one person can dislike a song for the same reasons why another loves it. My love for this song is because it is cramped and full of high energy. They recorded this while playing in an equipment closet and jammed to the utmost. It always reminds me of the garage (literally) bands I used to love going to hear while in my teens – incredibly fun times. There is something about that primal sound that reaches inside me and dances all over my soul. Hardly boring to me.

But to each, his* own.

*see what I did there?

apple01

The following people thank Zig for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

16 March 2018
7.38am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

No hard feelings Zig – just being a pedant as alwaysa-hard-days-night-george-10

Yes, music works in one way, and different people interpret/like it for different reasons. I can fully appreciate the coolness of how it was recorded, but, at the end of the day, it’s how much enjoyment the individual can get out of the song. You love it – great! That’s one more song that you love. I don’t like it – I don’t have to listen to it, but it’s my loss as it’s one less song I like. And you know what? We both can appreciate the song for what it is, too. 

That would make a good debate actually. How many ways does music work, and how? Can the way(s) be interpreted on different axes and dimensions?paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

The real travesty here is that there is only one person on this entire forum with good taste – me. No one else gave Savoy Truffle a 10. And it’s in my top 5 easily, I’d say. a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Zig, SpecialCup

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

16 March 2018
7.52am
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
146sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said

The real travesty here is that there is only one person on this entire forum with good taste – me. No one else gave Savoy Truffle a 10. And it’s in my top 5 easily, I’d say. a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10  

I love it!! I admire, and love surrounding myself with, confident people!! a-hard-days-night-john-1

You also made me realize I may have rated ‘Savoy Truffle ‘ a bit too low. Wow – such diversity on The White Album .

Looking forward to your next set of results. a-hard-days-night-john-3 It’s getting to the point in the rankings where hearts will be broken and laptops heaved across the room in disbelief.

The Hole Got Fixed, Elementary Penguin

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

16 March 2018
9.55am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3973
147sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
I thought the Beatles Bible would give better treatment to Don’t Let Me Down . Tremendous song that is greatly appreciated by Beatles fans.

I agree with that. Don’t let me down is awesome.

sir walter raleigh said
[…] Those who are confused by Yesterday ‘s position, do you not know that it is one of the most beloved songs of all time.  

I do know that, but i find it really dull. Except for the strings arrangement which is gorgeous

I am among those who find I Want You (She’s so heavy) a great track. A piece of art indeed. From the intro, to the guitar solo (which i think is their most beatiful solo ever) , John’s falsetto, screams… and the glorious final section with the wind and white noise in crescendo on top of the main arpegio and guitar riff…all seasoned with those Paul’s crazy descending bass he does from time to time…

George’s tracks should be lower, definitely.

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

Elementary Penguin

"I Need You by George Harrison"

17 March 2018
12.33pm
SpecialCup
Members
148sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree, “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” is a grinding, minimalist 10 out of 10.  Given how much love it’s gotten in the discussion, it must be one of those polarizing tracks people either love or hate …a-hard-days-night-john-1

17 March 2018
7.20pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpecialCup said
I agree, “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” is a grinding, minimalist 10 out of 10.  Given how much love it’s gotten in the discussion, it must be one of those polarizing tracks people either love or hate …a-hard-days-night-john-1  

Yeah I think it is either one extreme or another with that song and no in between. I do know that I love it.

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

18 March 2018
4.35pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yet more surprises:

=76 (190*, 7.6) Revolution 1
=76 (190*, 7.6) Oh! Darling
=73 (191*, 7.64) I Me Mine
=73 (191*, 7.64) Across The Universe [album version]
=73 (191*, 7.64) I Want To Tell You
=71 (192*, 7.68) Can’t Buy Me Love
=71 (192*, 7.68) I’ve Got A Feeling
=67 (193*, 7.72) I Feel Fine
=67 (193*, 7.72) Let It Be [album version]
=67 (193*, 7.72) Glass Onion
=67 (193*, 7.72) Getting Better

So, I need to address the elephant in the room. Phil Spector won one race (Across The Universe ), but evidently has lost Let it Be. Let it Be wasn’t a terribly divisive song, but it’s ended up with just a few strong opinions, enough to sway it. Also, how come Glass Onion and Getting Better are only in the top 70 songs?a-hard-days-night-ringo-15 They deserved more. The rest of these songs, honestly, are pretty great songs, except that these songs get whittled down so quickly by the ultra popular ones that will end up with lots of points.

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

18 March 2018
4.53pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Spector’s mix is a dirge, ‘Glass Onion ‘ is ok until you hear

It’s utterly brilliant. Whoever put that together long ago deserves endless production credits.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

georgiewood, The Hole Got Fixed, ewe2

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 March 2018
5.11pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

^Does that mean LIB single actually won over the album version. Ah lads, the biggest disapointment as a Beatles’ fan is when Let It Be comes on the radio and it’s the single version. There’s no guitar solo to air guitar to!!!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Zig

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

18 March 2018
5.38pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

My post was referring to Spector’s ‘ATU’.

Image result for BORED GIFImage Enlarger

His ‘LIB ‘ on the other hand.

Image result for spongebob guitar gifImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Father McKenzie, sir walter raleigh, Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 March 2018
2.03pm
SpecialCup
Members
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

I must take particular exception to the rankings/ratings of “I Want To Tell You ” and “Getting Better ,” two of the coolest and funkiest songs in all of Beatledom!  “I Want To Tell You ” is among George’s best and compels me to stop whatever I’m doing to groove to it.  And “Getting Better ” just gets me so angry at that damn school that tried to hold Paul down and fill him up with its rules (shakes fist)!!

C’mon poll, “Revolution 1 ,” “Can’t Buy Me Love ,” “Oh! Darling ,” and “I’ve Got A Feeling ” should rate at least 9s!  The last pair feature two of Paul’s greatest orgasms recorded during his entire Beatles era; future generations will be grateful for this.  Both “Let It Be ‘s” bring something to the table, and I voted both highly, same with “Revolution ” and “Revolution 1 .”  I’m greedy.

The following people thank SpecialCup for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, sir walter raleigh, Ahhh Girl

27 March 2018
7.03am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very, very sorry for the delay. paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif I’ve been away from my laptop a fair bit recentlya-hard-days-night-paul-7 But here are the next 10:

66 (201, 7.73) You’re Going To Lose That Girl
=57 (194*, 7.76) Let it Be [single version]
=57 (194*, 7.76) The Fool On The Hill
=57 (194*, 7.76) I Should Have Known Better
=57 (194*, 7.76) Martha My Dear
=57 (194*, 7.76) Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
=57 (194*, 7.76) Drive My Car
=57 (194*, 7.76) Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
=57 (194*, 7.76) Fixing A Hole
=57 (194*, 7.76) The Word

I’m happy that my favourite fared slightly better than a certain someone’s love for a certain 22nd track on a certain double album… In fact, I’m pleasantly surprised The Word is so high. Come to think of it, I don’t really have much to say this round, except that all of these songs are great – some more so than othersa-hard-days-night-george-10, but we’re now in the top 26% of Beatles songs. This is where it gets competitive.

34 tens were given. You’re Going To Lose That Girl received most, with 6 – but that is swayed data, because everyone voted for that song – and I’ll leave that train of thought there.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

ewe2

aus-flag-v-small.png

27 March 2018
1.08pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
156sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Word is in my top 10, so I am happy it made it to the top 26%. ahdn_john_08_gif

The Hole Got Fixed, PauliesGirl

27 March 2018
7.29pm
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1544
157sp_Permalink sp_Print

I absolutely adore The Fool On The Hill . Such a great track. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite is one of my favourites from Sgt Pepper too

The following people thank Father McKenzie for this post:

Zig

Still writing the words to the sermon that no one will hear......

27 March 2018
7.40pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Although it should still be higher, one of my favorites I Should Have Known Better did pretty well. 

Edit: Forgot to use my new favorite smiley

billy-preston_01_gif

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Elementary Penguin, Zig

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

27 March 2018
9.41pm
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
159sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay for You’re Gonna Lose That Girl! heart

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Elementary Penguin, Zig

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

27 March 2018
10.16pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
160sp_Permalink sp_Print

No disrespect to Martha My Dear but how did it finish higher than And I Love Her and I’ve Just Seen A Face ?

What a strange world.

Things are getting really interesting now though. 

The following people thank Elementary Penguin for this post:

Zig

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694