Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2018 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
28 February 2018
11.20am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Zig said
What I was trying to say, in my long winded way, was “when this track ends, it always leaves me wanting that one last potboiler with which they had finished the previous two albums.”

The Please Please Me and With The Beatles albums had 14 tracks with the 14th being a rocker. A Hard Day’s Night had only 13 tracks and ended with “I’ll Be Back “. It’s a great song on it’s own. But when it’s over, I always long for that 14th track – the potboiler. That’s what I meant by cliffhanger…”where’s the rocker?!?!” a-hard-days-night-ringo-14   

I’d rather them leave it on a slightly down note than throw on a lazy rockabilly cover like they did with Dizzy Miss Lizzy Help !  Imagine Matchbox closing out AHDN because they felt it needed to close with a banger. 

Perhaps had they closed it with “Hypothetical Original Beatles Rocker” than it would be a different story, but then again, Lennon McCartney had already cranked out a full 13 tracks. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Zig

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

28 February 2018
3.29pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

john-lennon-salute_gif

=132 (170*, 6.8) Julia
=132 (170*, 6.8) Do You Want To Know A Secret
=132 (170*, 6.8) Yellow Submarine
=132 (170*, 6.8) Please Mister Postman
=129 (171*, 6.84) It’s Only Love
=129 (171*, 6.84) Things We Said Today
=129 (171*, 6.84) I’m A Loser
=126 (172*, 6.88) Michelle
=126 (172*, 6.88) She’s Leaving Home
=126 (172*, 6.88) Rock And Roll Music

First of all – Julia had by far the most 10s this round (and a total of 22 were given). I’m kind of surprised at so many good songs being still this low – 8 of these songs are on my playlist on my phonea-hard-days-night-paul-10. Also interesting to see Please Mister Postman so low – yes, it’s cheesy, it’s only a cover, etc, but it’s still fun to listen to! Julia was either loved or hated, very few scores of 4, 5 or 6 for Julia .

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

28 February 2018
3.43pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s a strange one that they were happy to go with 13 tracks for ‘A Hard Day’s Night ‘ yet felt they had to go with 14 on ‘Help ‘ and end with a rocker. Obviously Ringo’s health was the reason for only 13 songs but they could easily have included ‘I Call Your Name ‘ and had one overlapping track on the album and ‘Long Tall Sally ‘.  It may not be a rocker but it is a Lennon/McCartney original.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 March 2018
4.55am
SpecialCup
eating chocolate cake in a bag
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 231
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

Surprised “Yellow Submarine ” isn’t higher.a-hard-days-night-ringo-11heart

Things We Said Today ” and “Michelle ” are two of my very favorite Beatles songs, so Yes It Is lame for me to not to see them with higher scores.  Both have that great moody minor feel and a wistful Paul working in his lower vocal range.  “Things We Said Today ” with its folk and rock sound (the big strum like its soulmate “I’ll Be Back ,” though even better) sounds so forward-looking to me (those transitions!), like it is not from A Hard Day’s Night or 1964 at all, but some later era.  Then “Michelle ,” the dreary, jazzy folk ballad.  “Michelle ” might be my favorite “love” song by any artist.  As a kid I loved it — it sounded so different to me, and even now I get this visceral reaction listening to it.  The chord progressions, the melancholy lead vocal, those “ooooh” backing vocals just dripping throughout the whole song.  How it isn’t even about the girl he’s singing to, but instead how he can’t figure out anything beyond “Michelle , ma belle, sont des mots …” to say to her.  It’s so good.  My favorite song to play and sing.

"Life is good; life is wonderful, and with friends like these, who needs life?"

1 March 2018
3.17pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Surprised to see Its Only Love so low after all the love it gets in the “Wheres the love for Its Only Love?” Thread. 

I had Do You Want To Know A Secret much higher. 

If I’m not mistaken, Yellow Submarine is the first track to appear off of Revolver , and She’s Leaving Home for Sgt. Pepper

2 March 2018
8.19am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

4 March 2018
3.58pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry for the delay. But here’s 10 more!

=124 (173*, 6.92) The Inner Light
=124 (173*, 6.92) Old Brown Shoe
=121 (174*, 6.96) Blackbird
=121 (174*, 6.96) Mother Nature’s Son
=121 (174*, 6.96) Good Day Sunshine
120 (175*, 7) Sun King
=116 (176*, 7.04) All You Need Is Love
=116 (176*, 7.04) It Won’t Be Long
=116 (176*, 7.04) Baby You’re A Rich Man
=116 (176*, 7.04) It’s All Too Much

23 tens were given, and Blackbird and All You Need Is Love were the two songs that tied with the most tens, both receiving 4. I feel there will be many people (myself included) that will be surprised about Old Brown Shoe and All You Need Is Love being so low. In fact, most of these are really good songs… It Won’t Be Long It’s All Too Much … Baby You’re A Rich Man Good Day Sunshine … but we’re at the tipping point now. We are almost halfway through the results, the songs now have to be really good to beat the rest. 

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

SpecialCup

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

4 March 2018
4.56pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Holy cow. This is troublesome. 

Tied for 121 are three of the best songs of all time. Classics from Paul. I expect to see Sun King this low, as I know I’m rare in absolutely adoring that song. 

SpecialCup

4 March 2018
11.20pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

There’s some really good songs in there. I am surprised to see Blackbird so low and Baby You’re A Rich Man as high as it is. 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

5 March 2018
1.19am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
Holy cow. This is troublesome. 

Tied for 121 are three of the best songs of all time. Classics from Paul. I expect to see Sun King this low, as I know I’m rare in absolutely adoring that song.   

Agreed. I’m probably wrong but I don’t remember these being this low. I’m used to Old Brown Shoe being underrated, but Blackbird ?!

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

SpecialCup

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

5 March 2018
2.49am
SpecialCup
Members
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yikes!  Did Paul slap the beloved mother of every Bibler in the past year or something?

Not surprised to see “Baby You’re A Rich Man ,” “It’s All Too Much ,” and “Old Brown Shoe ” this low, but still it is just plain wrong.pete-best What do people have against “Old Brown Shoe ” anyway?  And a special word for “Mother Nature’s Son ,” such a beautiful song to lose oneself in — y’all haters are missing out.heartheart

5 March 2018
3.35am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963

The three Paul songs with their placements for the last two polls. 

Mother Nature’s Son

• 2014 #147
  • 2015 #113
  • 2017 #121

Good Day Sunshine

• 2014 #95
  • 2015 #92
  • 2017 #121

Blackbird

• 2014 #44
  • 2015 #55
  • 2017 #121

It should be noted that there were no tied placements in 2014 due to how Faceo presented the results so it gets confusing when you see the raw scores and so many songs are level; arrange the scores to the same layout as the 2015 poll and final positions would shuffle a little. Additionally, and for reasons I don’t know, 2014 has 211 songs whereas 2015 has 220 – ‘Can You Take Me Back’ is one, having been included in 2015, no idea where the other 8 went/came from. Maybe @Ron Nasty  or @Starr Shine? can answer that.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

ewe2

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 March 2018
4.47am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Off we go again!

=113 (177*, 7.08) Your Mother Should Know
=113 (177*, 7.08) I’m Happy Just To Dance With You
=113 (177*, 7.08) Think For Yourself
=111 (178*, 7.12) From Me To You
=111 (178*, 7.12) Doctor Robert
=107 (179*, 7.16) Golden Slumbers
=107 (179*, 7.16) Sexy Sadie
=107 (179*, 7.16) When I’m Sixty-Four
=107 (179*, 7.16) She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
=104 (180*, 7.2) Love You To
=104 (180*, 7.2) I Need You
=104 (180*, 7.2) Magical Mystery Tour

We are now more than halfway, meaning From Me To You and Doctor Robert were the highest scoring songs in the bottom half. And @sir walter raleigh will have to take consolation that Sexy Sadie is at least in the top half… 27 tens were given, and Your Mother Should Know and Sexy Sadie tied with 4 each. I’m a fan on pretty much all of these songs, but I’m very surprised at how low Think For Yourself , I Need You , When I’m Sixty-Four , and Magical Mystery Tour came. I thought they were much more popular than this! Also surprised that Love You To is lower than WYWY… but how much lower?a-hard-days-night-george-4

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

SpecialCup

aus-flag-v-small.png

7 March 2018
5.24am
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1544
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love all the songs in this batch. I can understand why Magical Mystery Tour may not be everyone’s cup of tea,but I think it’s a great album opener. Love You To is another particular favourite of mine, and i really like Your Mother Should Know too

The following people thank Father McKenzie for this post:

SpecialCup

Still writing the words to the sermon that no one will hear......

7 March 2018
5.35am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3971
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

George is so underrated… i guess we’ll see only two of his latest compositions as a Beatles in the top 10 – 20.
Love You To is a piece of art.

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

Father McKenzie, SpecialCup

"I Need You by George Harrison"

7 March 2018
6.43pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

A lot of George songs have already been knocked out but there is still a few in the running. 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

7 March 2018
6.43pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798

I want to give a little shout out to George and I Need You a-hard-days-night-george-9

The first month or so of 7th grade in 1965. Sharon who I’ve known since third grade is in the same biology class. We played 4-square and made daisy chains together at recess many times over the years. She is seated in the row to my right one desk ahead. I find myself gazing at her hair and how it flips up a little right above her shoulder. How her wrist and hand are beyond petite and she is wearing a bracelet made of candy and her complexion is like honey. I could barely see the side of her face – a face I’d seen 1000 times before. But suddenly, today that face is all I ever want to see. And I whisper, Sharon “You don’t realize how much I need you…”. I’m grateful to George for writing that song and the Beatles for playing it and working out the intoxicating ending. Within that song this pleasant memory ever survives. 

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Father McKenzie, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, Shamrock Womlbs, SpecialCup, ewe2

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

8 March 2018
1.03pm
SpecialCup
Members
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

This latest set is a joke.  Almost every song here should average far above a 7.  Whatever; we’re gonna end up with John’s most cloying emo cries for help in the top and that is that.  Predictable.a-hard-days-night-john-1a-hard-days-night-paul-7 Paul’s early mid-era folk-soul gems have long since gotten the shaft, and three of my four favorite George songs have already been pissed upon by the poll.  I suppose I shouldn’t hold out much hope for “I Want To Tell You .”a-hard-days-night-george-9 Four of my all-time cool Beatles songs appear in this batch:  “Doctor Robert ,” “Think For Yourself ,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window ,” and “Your Mother Should Know .”

The following people thank SpecialCup for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Father McKenzie

8 March 2018
1.37pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

I appreciate the love for Dr. Robert @special-cup and I also agree with this batch being heartbreaking. Two medley songs below 8? I wont even address my favorite song on the list.

SpecialCup

9 March 2018
10.54am
SpecialCup
Members
120sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone else picture @sir walter raleigh drankin’ at the computer, cursing the Beatles Bible canon poll while “Sexy Sadie ” blares on endless repeat in the background?

Sir_Walter_Raleigh_oval_portrait_by_Nicholas_Hilliard-1.jpgImage Enlarger

RSC2-Model1-1.gifImage Enlarger

The following people thank SpecialCup for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Shamrock Womlbs, Father McKenzie, The Hole Got Fixed, Ahhh Girl, ewe2

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24962, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694