Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2018 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
23 February 2018
5.06am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said
I really like ‘Baby’s In Black ‘. The lyrics and music are so sad but with a bite of hidden bit and George’s solo is cool, plus it doesn’t do the song any harm seeing how much fun they had playing it live 

They certainly did enjoy performing it live, thought the vocals in the live performances prove how hard it was to pull off without much rehearsal. The studio version is a much underrated tune. How anyone could dismiss the beautiful harmonies of John and Paul singing into the same microphone boggles my mind.

=152 (163*, 6.52) You Really Got A Hold On Me

=149 (164*, 6.56) You Can’t Do That

My favorite Beatles cover and one of my top 10 Beatles songs cast upon the rocks of Ya Gotta Be Kidding Me island. paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

The Hole Got Fixed said

A quick question: would you rather me get the results out a bit faster (i.e. every 2 days) or keep posting them every 3-4 days, for more suspense? I don’t mind either way.  

Many of my faves are dying a slow death. Let’s rip the bandage off all at once. paul-mccartney

But seriously, @The Hole Got Fixed you are doing a great job with this. The current rate seems to be giving folks ample chance to discuss and share their opinions – no matter how wrong they are. a-hard-days-night-john-1

The following people thank Zig for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

23 February 2018
1.09pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Pours one out for Theres A Place ahdn_george_05

Listens to Theres A Place a-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Evangeline, Father McKenzie, Zig

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

24 February 2018
2.56pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

AppleScruffJunior said
YOU LEAVE ‘You Really Got A Hold On Me ‘ ALONE BRO, I’LL FIGHT YOU!!!!!

Fight accepted!a-hard-days-night-paul-11

Anyhoo, when you’re posting could you tell us the song that got the most 10’s in each round? It would be interesting to see.

I can definitely start doing that! This round, Every Little Thing and Don’t Bother Me tied with 3 tens each.

AppleScruffJunior said

I also support the posting of results every 2 days, we’re still in the 140s so it’ll take us quite a while to get into the top 50, at the rate we’re currently going at.   

Zig said

[unspoiler]But seriously, @The Hole Got Fixed you are doing a great job with this. The current rate seems to be giving folks ample chance to discuss and share their opinions – no matter how wrong they are. a-hard-days-night-john-1[/unspoiler]

Both very good points. Shall I compromise, and go a bit faster until we get to ~50, as those songs will probably garner more conversation? ahdn_george_01

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

24 February 2018
4.58pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

TBH I’m surprised Don’t Bother Me is rated that highly, and higher in the same bracket as Only A Northern Song

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

25 February 2018
7.08am
SpecialCup
eating chocolate cake in a bag
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 231

The Hole Got Fixed said

I shall keep them coming:

157 (169, 6.5) Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
=152 (163*, 6.52) You Really Got A Hold On Me
=152 (163*, 6.52) There’s A Place
=152 (163*, 6.52) Every Little Thing
=152 (163*, 6.52) What You’re Doing
=152 (163*, 6.52) One After 909
=149 (164*, 6.56) Love Me Do (album version)
=149 (164*, 6.56) Only A Northern Song
=149 (164*, 6.56) You Can’t Do That
148 (165*, 6.6) Don’t Bother Me

Well,

c1ZXQ5Q_d.jpgImage Enlarger

I had five 10s in this groupa-hard-days-night-paul-3a-hard-days-night-paul-10 I absolutely adore “There’s A Place ,” “What You’re Doing ,” and “Every Little Thing .”  To me all three are perfect songs, and in my top tier of all Beatles songs.  “There’s A Place ” is one of the top two songs on Please Please Me and from a songwriting standpoint is quite impressive when placed alongside their early recorded work.  “What You’re Doing ” and “Every Little Thing ” hit that soul/folk hybrid sweet spot that I can’t get enough of, and are two of the three best songs on Beatles For Sale .  “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer ” is just so funky and plodding and insane I can’t not love it, and “Don’t Bother Me ” is such a great rockin’ dance song, with fabulous percussion and a great guitar riff, and has a sound unlike the other songs on With The Beatles .

Love Me Do ” and “One After 909 ” are a bit low, no?

Hole, with regard to posting the results, whatever is convenient for you is fine with me.paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank SpecialCup for this post:

Zig, The Hole Got Fixed

"Life is good; life is wonderful, and with friends like these, who needs life?"

25 February 2018
7.31am
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The Hole Got Fixed said

Shall I compromise, and go a bit faster until we get to ~50, as those songs will probably garner more conversation? ahdn_george_01  

SpecialCup said

Hole, with regard to posting the results, whatever is convenient for you is fine with me.paul-mccartney-thumb_gif  

I agree with SpecialCup – you are doing us all a solid by facilitating this. If it’s not inconvenient, go with whatever pace suits you. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Thanks again. mal-evans

The Hole Got Fixed, SpecialCup

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 February 2018
3.22pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008

I’m actually surprised that Maxwell’s Silver Hammer ended up as high as it did. There’s a lot of songs in this latest batch that I love but at this point in the ranking I know that a lot more of the big popular songs will make it to the end with a few surprises here and there but I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of the ranking goes.

I also agree with Special Cup and you should post when it is convenient for you because you are doing a great job. 

The following people thank Elementary Penguin for this post:

SpecialCup

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

25 February 2018
4.25pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

My favorite is tied down at 152. ahdn_paul_01

Oh well. I know I love it. Every Little Thing

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Elementary Penguin, ewe2, SpecialCup
25 February 2018
9.45pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members

For what it’s worth I love Every Little Thing as well. 

The following people thank Elementary Penguin for this post:

Ahhh Girl, SpecialCup

26 February 2018
4.05am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

Thank you everyone for coming to a general agreement! And thank you all for the praisebeatlemaniacs_02_gifbeatlemaniacs_02_gifbeatlemaniacs_02_gifheart

So then, what seems like it will be another controversial round:

147 (159**, 6.63) She’s A Woman
=144 (166*, 6.64) Love Me Do (single version)
=144 (166*, 6.64) Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
=144 (166*, 6.64) Any Time At All
=140 (167*, 6.68) Rocky Raccoon
=140 (167*, 6.68) I’ll Be Back
=140 (167*, 6.68) Long Tall Sally
=140 (167*, 6.68) The Night Before
=136 (168*, 6.72) Cry Baby Cry
=136 (168*, 6.72) The Long And Winding Road
=136 (168*, 6.72) I’ll Follow The Sun
=136 (168*, 6.72) Across The Universe (“World Wildlife Fund” version)

I’m only really dissapointed with how low Any Time At All , Long Tall Sally and The Night Before are. Most of the rest are decent, but we are starting to get to the time when the good are seperated from the great. Speaking of great, how did Rocky Raccoon and Cry Baby Cry get so high? They’re annoying as all hell!paul-mccartneya-hard-days-night-paul-10. The Long and dreary Winding Road took out the most 10s this round, pipping two other song, by scoring 5 tens. First time a song hasn’t received a 10 by anyone in a while: Long Tall Sally and Love Me Do (single version) didn’t top anyone’s score. A whopping 26 tens were given this round.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

SpecialCup

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

26 February 2018
5.55am
Father McKenzie
Liverpool England
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1544

I love Cry Baby Cry . A shame it’s shown up so early,damn a-hard-days-night-paul-10. I actually expected to see Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da a lot earlier on. I guess that’s one of the songs you either love or hate,similar to RR

The following people thank Father McKenzie for this post:

Evangeline, SpecialCup

Still writing the words to the sermon that no one will hear......

26 February 2018
6.05am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Does the single version of ‘Love Me Do ‘ place higher in people’s voting due to Ringo being the drummer? When pushed I’ll go for Andy White’s as it has a better feel to it and the cymbal crash is more forceful than Ringo’s puny effort .

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

SpecialCup, Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 February 2018
9.57am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

Elementary Penguin said
For what it’s worth I love Every Little Thing as well.   

Bless you, @Elementary Penguin. heart

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Elementary Penguin
26 February 2018
10.59am
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Surprised to see I’ll Follow The Sun outside the top 50. I’ve never heard anybody criticize it. For good reason too. I really don’t understand this low ranking. 

In highschool, Rocky Raccoon was well known and well loved, but perhaps that was just a regional thing. 

SpecialCup

26 February 2018
7.41pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

Cry Baby Cry  that low? I can understand Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da  and Rocky Racoon might be written off but daaaaaang. Also what is wrong with She’s A Woman and The Long And Winding Road two of Paul’s best melodies? I just don’t understand some choices…

(just repeat the same sentences with different songs to imagine my general opinion of poll results a-hard-days-night-george-9)

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

SpecialCup, Zig

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

26 February 2018
10.21pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members

I do feel that Across The Universe (World Wildlife Fund) is way too high but oh well. 

27 February 2018
4.57am
SpecialCup
eating chocolate cake in a bag
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 231

The Hole Got Fixed said

I’m only really dissapointed with how low Any Time At All , Long Tall Sally and The Night Before are. Most of the rest are decent, but we are starting to get to the time when the good are seperated from the great. Speaking of great, how did Rocky Raccoon and Cry Baby Cry get so high? They’re annoying as all hell!paul-mccartneya-hard-days-night-paul-10

HOLE!!!beatlemaniacs_02_gif I really like “Rocky Raccoon ” and “Cry Baby Cry .” The repetitive, circular melodies and lazy cadences of those two songs are reminiscent of one another to me, even though they’re such different songs. “Cry Baby Cry ” is John writing a trick lullaby, and then Paul busts into the nursery to attempt one, but he’s just come from the saloon and therefore almost immediately Pauls the lullaby all up and before you know it you’ve got “Rocky Raccoon ” instead.

I agree with Hole about “The Night Before ” and “Any Time At All ” — those are really great songs.  And who doesn’t love “I’ll Be Back “?  Out of nowhere comes this beautiful haunting strummer at the end of A Hard Day’s Night that leaves hanging this giant question mark about what new sounds we might hear next from the Beatles.

The Long And Winding Road ” at its heart is a gorgeous song, but the orchestral overdubs do their best to ruin it.  I still rate it fairly high, but I prefer the version in Let It Be the film.  Likewise, “Long Tall Sally ” is very good, but for some reason works better as a live number; for example, the performances at those last Star Club shows in ’62 and at NME Poll Winners ’64, which are incredible.ahdn_paul_06

It will be interesting when we get to the higher polling songs to see which ones posters feel are wildly overrated.

"Life is good; life is wonderful, and with friends like these, who needs life?"

27 February 2018
8.34am
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

SpecialCup said
And who doesn’t love “I’ll Be Back “?  Out of nowhere comes this beautiful haunting strummer at the end of A Hard Day’s Night that leaves hanging this giant question mark about what new sounds we might hear next from the Beatles.

Agreed. I’ve often considered this song’s album track placement to be a cliffhanger. “And the murderer is… – tune in next week to find out!” We’ve had Forum discussions before about the mythical 14th track missing from the album. I also feel this song is a “beautiful haunting strummer “. It’s one of the reasons why I love the entire album as a whole. But when this track ends, it always leaves me wanting that one last potboiler with which they had finished the previous two albums.

It will be interesting when we get to the higher polling songs to see which ones posters feel are wildly overrated.

I’m already laughing as I read the conflicting opinions. It’s like watching a TV reality show. Tune in again in about 3 to 4 days…

Image Enlarger

27 February 2018
1.14pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Never thought about I’ll Be Back as the cliffhanger into the next release. Everybody is thinking “what are they going to sound like?” Then the next song, I Feel Fine opens the famous feedback. Pretty coo. 

Zig

28 February 2018
5.24am
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

What I was trying to say, in my long winded way, was “when this track ends, it always leaves me wanting that one last potboiler with which they had finished the previous two albums.”

The Please Please Me and With The Beatles albums had 14 tracks with the 14th being a rocker. A Hard Day’s Night had only 13 tracks and ended with “I’ll Be Back “. It’s a great song on it’s own. But when it’s over, I always long for that 14th track – the potboiler. That’s what I meant by cliffhanger…”where’s the rocker?!?!” a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 

Father McKenzie

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694