Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2017 non-Canon Poll
8 March 2017
12.57am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Canon: PPM , WTB, AHDN , BFS, Help !, RS, Revolver , SPLHCB , MMT, WA, YS (Side A) – this might be debated, AR, LIB , PM. Anything else is non-canon.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

SaxonMothersSon

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

8 March 2017
1.03am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

SaxonMothersSon said
I need to dig through my cassettes (yes cassettes). Early 80’s, friend in LA sent me several tapes of Beatles outtakes, All the Xmas Greetings, and one I really like which is basically the whole White Album done acoustically. Also picked up the Get Back sessions (double vinyl). Getting it all translated into shareable files is something else, though. Is this stuff canon or non-canon? Not hip to your groovy lingo!  

Canon, basically, is what’s in the 2009 Stereo Box, under that you have all the other material officially release (‘Anthology’, 2x BBC etc). You then have the non-Apple releases such as the 70’s and 80’s Germany ’62 and Decca releases and the increasing grey-market collections of outtakes, demos, live material etc. Finally, there are all the outtakes, demos etc which haven’t been released but which are out there circulating. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 March 2017
5.36pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators

I have an app on my phone that is 24/7 Beatles radio, and last night Real Love came on, and it reminded me of this poll…

To poll or not to poll, that is the question!

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

14 March 2017
5.50pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I am in the process of recompiling the list, @The Hole Got Fixed.

My laptop busted. I got this new one last week. I loaded my back-up files from the external over the weekend. The list hadn’t been backed up (Feck! I hadn’t done any backing-up for about three months – lost way too much stuff! Feck! Feck! Feck! Regular back-ups people!).

I started on it yesterday, hope to have it all done tomorrow.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, ewe2, PauliesGirl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 March 2017
5.58pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators

Oh. Yes, I forgot that your laptop busted. paul-mccartney-facepalm_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifpaul-mccartney-thumb_gifpaul-mccartney

I think I might go and back up some stuff now. I haven’t backed up in about 4 months… Thanks for reminding me!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

William Shears Campbell, William Shears Campbell

aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2017
2.49am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

Ron Nasty said

Feck! I hadn’t done any backing-up for about three months – lost way too much stuff! Feck! Feck! Feck! Regular back-ups people!

It’s not paranoia if your hard drives are out to get you a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Ahhh Girl

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

13 April 2017
11.56am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Phew! I was worried I would miss the voting period. Let’s do what it takes to make this happen.

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

13 April 2017
12.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I have the rough list completed. I will spend this weekend knocking it into shape for presentation.

I need to get this out of the way. I keep getting distracted by having to do other things that I lost (like reloading my music player).

This weekend I will focus on getting it finished and up.

A shame it’ll be before the new Pepper, but an additional vote can be held later in the year to work those in after people have had a chance to live with them a while.

The list will be presented in two ways – a chronological listing for those that want to view it that way, and an A-Z for those who might want to compare different versions to decide on how they score them.

My apologies for the delays, but I am sure most will see the work that has gone into this (and that I’ve unfortunately had to do twice).

I am making sure I back up things on my external HD so it doesn’t happen again.

PauliesGirl, Martha, SgtPeppersBulldog, Evangeline, sir walter raleigh, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 April 2017
4.29pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Would it be worth the wait for the Sgt. Pepper reissues? How long after the release would it be appropriate toinclde them?

13 April 2017
5.02pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I don’t think so, @sir walter raleigh.

IMO, I think at need six months needs to have elapsed between release and it being included for a vote. People have to have a chance to get used to it, otherwise there is a good chance that it will be overmarked purely because it’s new.

sir walter raleigh

13 April 2017
5.15pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227

Or undermarked by those who mentioned that they like music after more listens. We had that conversation in the getting to know you thread.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Martha
19 April 2017
10.49pm
Elementary Penguin
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1008

I’m glad I haven’t missed this but sorry you have had health and computer issues @Ron Nasty 

And in the end the lunch you take is equal to the lunch you bake.

2 May 2017
9.12am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The list is now up, and can be found in the first post on page one of this thread…

sir walter raleigh, Martha

2 May 2017
2.00pm
sir walter raleigh
Apple rooftop
Members

Just for clarification, this is the list of all non-canon, but officially released material? I feel like some of the unofficial stuff is a hell of a lot easier to get your hands on. 

2 May 2017
2.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Afraid so, @sir walter raleigh.

I wouldn’t say officially released though, but rather legally released, since the Polydor, Decca and Star Club recordings (bar the few tracks included on Anthology 1 ) can’t be considered as official.

Where possible, over the next few days, I will be working links into the chronological listing to where they can be heard.

2 May 2017
2.45pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277

Thanks for creating the list and sharing the links @Ron Nasty! That’s a good idea to ensure everyone has the opportunity to listen to all of the tracks. If you need a helping hand in counting all the votes, I will be more than happy to help!a-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank Martha for this post:

Ron Nasty

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

3 May 2017
3.38am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I doubt I’ll be able to find links to much of it, @Martha, but will find what I can.

It was always recognised that people would probably be more unfamiliar with the contents of this list. It was actually Joe’s idea to find as many links as possible when we were discussing this poll walking around Cardiff Castle last October.

Much of the list is available on streaming services, which helps, but it has already been accepted that there will be items some people may not be able to score due to not having heard. (Though, for those, the list may come in useful as a guide to things to add to their collections when they can find them.)

Thanks for the offer of helping with the count. Hopefully, when we have settled the list, and decided on a start, @Starr Shine? will come up with a Google thingy for the actual poll which actually does the maths for you.

I remember with the Canon poll, I was manually totalling as we went along, until SS? pointed out I just needed to press a button to get the totals as they stood!

Thanks again for the offer though.

Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

9 May 2017
2.39pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members

How exactly are we ought to vote?

Should we just copy the list, write a score from 0 to 10 after each song title and then PM the list as a PDF document? 

I’m so sorry to bother you with such a stupid question!ahdn_george_05

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

9 May 2017
2.59pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Not a stupid question at all, @Martha.

I posted the list expecting comments and arguments over its contents.

No comments on the contents of the list though.

If the lovely, bubbly @Starr Shine?, could create a basic form for me to fill in…

I hoped people would offer opinions, but if no one can be bothered to help improve my list, we’ll just go with what I have, and tell you to feck off when you ask why such-and-such hasn’t been included.

With or without people improving what I came up with, protest or hold your tongue.

We’ll\I’ll work out voting to start next Monday. Last few days to object!

Martha

9 May 2017
3.20pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members

Thanks for the clarification! 

I think your list is very detailed and well chosen so I don’t think there’s anything to complain about really.a-hard-days-night-george-9 But I’ve got one question, why have you only included one song from the Shea stadium? After all, there are a few more songs that are played in full length in the 1966 documentary.

Probably, it’s because of the poor quality due to all the screams, isn’t it?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694