Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll
18 June 2015
7.29pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said

Judging your favourite songs in the canon is a more honest question to be asking ourselves than what is best.

Keep preaching – my choir robe has two shoulders – no waiting. For the past 5 years, I’ve been banging my head against the wall for the past 5 years trying to get people to use the word “favorite” instead of “best” for the past five years.
Why did I just get up? I really must stop banging my head against the wall. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

I bet at this point, Zig’s head is a pancake.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Zig

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

18 June 2015
7.31pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 With butter and fresh honey!

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Starr Shine?, Matt Busby, Mr. Kite

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

18 June 2015
9.52pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

I had something to say. But I lost track halfway though, it disappeared from brain as well as page, and now I can’t remember. But it was going to be here. And it was good. You just know that it was good! Oops!!!

Funny you should mention that… Tragic voting story. At least halfway through ranking I stopped to do a few things, checking occasionally to make sure it wouldn’t reload the page, and now when I was ready to finish I go to the form and it refreshes… Guess I’ll have to start over! a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

@georgiewood said

I thought you had run off with parlance to a desert island. Or a dessert island.

Image Enlarger

I’ve eaten a few desserts and now I’m back. a-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Beatlebug

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

18 June 2015
9.55pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
136sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve spent about 2 hours on it and feel ready to submit.  It brought up some interesting things to consider (all imo of course):

separating points into song authorship and performance, for example

1) Words Of Love – great song, great performance  – I gave it an 8

matchbox – great song, good performance – I gave it a 6 (both are covers)

Revolution – great song, good performance – version 1 got an 8 and plain got a 7

in my life – great song, great performance – didn’t even have to think about it, 10

All You Need Is Love – amazing simplicity in its just as wonderful a message, haphazard (purposefully) performance, easy 10

2) being fair – The first third I gave out a lot of high marks, or so I thought. I felt like I was voting, to some extent, on my liking of the songs compared to the entire body of modern music, which isn’t a fair fight of course. I restarted, being more cautious.  After I got through I went back and counted, I figured I should have 21-22 of each. I found I had actually been too critical, too sparing on 9s and 10s (giving out only 10 9s and 18 10s the first time through). The adjustments allowed me to move up some 4s-7s I had hesitated on at first, thinking I had ranked them too low. I didn’t obsess on the lower distribution as much but I think I gave more than 21 0s, less than 21 1s-4s. 

Some examples – I rated some early stuff, like Please Please Me and I Saw Her Standing There , 10, even though I might “objectively” (ha ha – see below) rate them about 6-7, their status as pop music classics and gateways that gave the Beatles both the opportunity to become the seminal rock n roll band and a huge fan base that matured with them earns them the rank (plus I had 10s to spare). I quickly dismissed Ob-la-di, Ob-la-dah as a 0 rather than take the time to decide whether it’s a 1 or a 2 (actually I’m going back to make it a 3 based on the gender role switch in the last verse lol – better submit the thing before I analyze it into inanity!).

3) “objective” vs. “subjective”.  Trying to balance them occupied a good bit of my brain when ranking. Objectivity is just a mental ego exercise, thinking I can separate and quantify things like innovativeness, timelessness, universal popularity, lyrical and melodic “quality” and complexity from their aesthetic appeal to me personally. Maybe it’s not too cocky to say most of us here can to some extent.  OTOH I feel “This Boy ” is a bubblegum pop song that would be virtually forgotten had it been someone else’s song. “Til There was You” is a simple show tune that few people who weren’t around when the play and movie were out (or those younger who are into musicals) would know today, had they not covered it. But I like them so they got 8s.

Thanks lots to everyone involved, it’s lots of fun and made me think more critically about the songs. I hope I don’t go revise it more than 2 or 3 times. I can’t wait to see the results!

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

georgiewood, Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

18 June 2015
11.12pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
137sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

Ron Nasty said

I had something to say. But I lost track halfway though, it disappeared from brain as well as page, and now I can’t remember. But it was going to be here. And it was good. You just know that it was good! Oops!!!

Today, I walked three steps away from my desk and stopped abruptly. It as at that point I asked a co-worker, “what did I get up for?”. Three flippin’ steps! Thank goodness it wasn’t because I had to pee.

I know how you both feel.

I’m vastly overweight……..I suffer from Alzheimer’s and bulimia……..I eat all day and forget to throw up!  

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Oudis
18 June 2015
11.21pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
138sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby said
I’ve spent about 2 hours on it and feel ready to submit……….

3) “objective” vs. “subjective”.  Trying to balance them occupied a good bit of my brain when ranking. Objectivity is just a mental ego exercise, thinking I can separate and quantify things like innovativeness, timelessness, universal popularity, lyrical and melodic “quality” and complexity from their aesthetic appeal to me personally. Maybe it’s not too cocky to say most of us here can to some extent.  

Well thought out……..

I was much less scientific………

I’m glad you qualified the battle between objectivity and subjectivity……

For fun find out how predictable you/me/we are…….It’s will make you think…….Might send you back for another try. Who knows.

Anyway enjoy this…I did.

Oudis, Matt Busby
19 June 2015
5.39am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
139sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ I lost when I picked the house.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

19 June 2015
6.02am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

I’m more predictable: he lost me on the arrows.

But in reality, this is more of a clever trick than an actual prediction. By strategically removing options, he forces you to end up on a certain spot. If you were allowed to go diagonally, he wouldn’t be able to do this so easily.

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Matt Busby

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

19 June 2015
7.34am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
141sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s a trick sure…….But he got me three times. Don’t know how it works!

But my point is that we are predictable in some ways……Or they’d be no such thing as advertising.

As far as the poll is concerned ……

When it comes to ‘favourites’ I think that’s us.

When it comes to ‘best’ I think herd mentality can play a part. 

Beatlebug, Matt Busby
19 June 2015
9.03pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
142sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Matt Busby Awaiting reply to PM. Your votes will not count otherwise.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Matt Busby

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 June 2015
5.09am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
143sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
^ I lost when I picked the house.

Why is it not surprising that you’re the oddball, @Starr Shine?? 😉

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

20 June 2015
8.12am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
144sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I picked everything the he predicted I wouldn’t. Not sure if I quite understand it though… and also, what does it have to do with The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll????? 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

20 June 2015
8.23am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 It is a test to see if your results are predictable.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug

20 June 2015
8.35am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

I see. I suppose mine weren’t… I thought I was fairly predictable to people who know me… (as in, ‘of course you would go and make that Beatles reference, Doodle’) a-hard-days-night-john-6

Edit: I guess there are different kinds of ‘predictability’. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

28 June 2015
9.54pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
147sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you voted yet? Time is running out. The link to the voting form can be found in post 2. Please vote. The more votes, the more accurate.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

29 June 2015
12.58am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
148sp_Permalink sp_Print

@mi1168, @tomchristie have yet to receive confirmation PMs.

Looking at who’s on right now, @mr. Sun king coming together and @StrawberryWalrus, where are your votes?

29 June 2015
1.06am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

Isn’t it a little presumptive that I’ve had the time to vote on all 220 recordings, @Ron Nasty ?

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

29 June 2015
1.24am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Not presumptive, just hopeful, @mr. Sun king coming together, that such a well-respected forum member will join in now you’re back. And, anyway, you don’t need to vote for all 220, just those you want to. a-hard-days-night-george-10

I have a number in mind that I’d like to see take part (only one Bontee brother, @vonbontee or @Von Bontee, if either decides to take part) and I haven’t quite reached it. I’m gonna be a nag till voting closes. Where @Mr. Kite disappeared to since his failed attempt?

29 June 2015
9.56am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Not presumptive, just hopeful, @mr. Sun king coming together, that such a well-respected forum member will join in now you’re back. And, anyway, you don’t need to vote for all 220, just those you want to. a-hard-days-night-george-10

I have a number in mind that I’d like to see take part (only one Bontee brother, @vonbontee or @Von Bontee, if either decides to take part) and I haven’t quite reached it. I’m gonna be a nag till voting closes. Where @Mr. Kite disappeared to since his failed attempt?

Thanks for pushing the issue, @Ron Nasty . Obviously, we need as many people as possible to participate.

usImage Enlarger

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

29 June 2015
4.12pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry! I will vote immediately. ahdn_george_01

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Starr Shine?

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691