Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll
16 June 2015
7.26pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I think it’s probably best not to overthink. I went quickly as well.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

16 June 2015
8.48pm
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842

I took no more than 3 seconds to decide per song (with the 10s, it was like one nanosecond).  I was only able to be that speedy, however, because of the logic of what I articulated in my previous comment, somewhere way above…

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

Zig

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

16 June 2015
9.16pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Expert Textpert said
I think it’s probably best not to overthink. I went quickly as well.

Agreed.

My votes were based on several factors. Among them, but not limited to them, were; “how loud do I sing this song when I hear it?”, “do I play air guitar/bass/drums/sitar/cello/etc… when I hear it?” and thanks to @Into the Sky with Diamonds , “how significant/important were  these songs to posterity?”. 

Bottom line: As long as you stay true to your feelings about each song, there are no bad votes.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Into the Sky with Diamonds, Mr. Kite

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

17 June 2015
2.44am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435

I thought about it for a while and I re-did the voting thing. 

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

17 June 2015
9.56am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

JPM-Fangirl said

I thought about it for a while and I re-did the voting thing. 

Did you raise the numbers on all your Paul songs? 😉

17 June 2015
1.45pm
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

Maybe. Maybe not. I definitely raised some scores on John songs if it makes you feel better.

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

17 June 2015
1.54pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Just giving you a hard time. But it is conceivable that a Paul fan would want to raise his or her scores after reading Ron Nasty’s comments above about Paul not faring as well as John.

Perhaps I should revote and lower all those 10’s I gave Paul?

a-hard-days-night-paul-7

17 June 2015
2.01pm
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members

I’m a Paul fan, but I’m not blind or deaf. I actually had a bit of a laugh when I was grading the songs, because the first two to get a really low score were both Paul songs. All four Beatles are quite equally represented in my top picks, and I definitely didn’t stop to think who was the main contributor to each song when I rated them. I only thought about how much I like the tune, not who wrote/sang it.

17 June 2015
2.12pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I believe you…but I will always wonder if the poll results are skewed now.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Mr. Kite

17 June 2015
2.20pm
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-paul-11

17 June 2015
5.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’d have to be a pretty twisted Paul fan to go back to your scores and remark them just so he might come out slightly better than John. 

But then maybe we are all biased to John and so what chance does Paul have anyway?ahdn_paul_01

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

17 June 2015
8.07pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1980
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< @Ron Nasty 

In the original poll (see Can we all agree… or not?) the question posed was “Are there any songs that we could all agree represent the Beatles at their best?”

This is quite different from “what are your preferred songs?”

I’ve gone back to the top of this thread, and I don’t know that it’s clear whether we’re voting for personal favorites or not. Perhaps Ron Nasty can clarify.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

17 June 2015
8.12pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s all we can vote for.

17 June 2015
8.18pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
You’d have to be a pretty twisted Paul fan to go back to your scores and remark them just so he might come out slightly better than John. 

But then maybe we are all biased to John and so what chance does Paul have anyway?ahdn_paul_01

Is there a John bias?

I could understand why.

I was always John.

But I’ve learnt from this board just how much more I should appreciate Paul……. And from some things I’ve read here that I should be a little more realistic about John. 

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
18 June 2015
1.18am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Into the Sky with Diamonds said
@Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< @Ron Nasty 

In the original poll (see Can we all agree… or not?) the question posed was “Are there any songs that we could all agree represent the Beatles at their best?”

This is quite different from “what are your preferred songs?”

I’ve gone back to the top of this thread, and I don’t know that it’s clear whether we’re voting for personal favorites or not. Perhaps Ron Nasty can clarify.

Why shouldn’t it be about favourite songs? How else should we rank them? I’m not a musician. I don’t know what makes a song “good” or “bad”, not on a scientific level anyway. All I can assess is whether a song pleases my ears or not. 

For what it’s worth, I did add a point for some songs I’d have ranked lower, when I realised they had Something to make them stand out, such as a killer harmony, a really good bass line, or an epic guitar solo. I’d go: “Hmm, I don’t like this one very much, but those lyrics are very strong, so instead of a 6, I’ll make it a 7”. I don’t expect other people to do that; I’d expect us all to rate the songs as we see fit. Otherwise, what use would there be for a poll? If we voted based on scientific ranking methods, we wouldn’t ever be in disagreement over which songs we like and which we don’t. 

And I think ET and I see eye to eye on more things than we, or anyone else, might think a-hard-days-night-john-2I rather enjoyed that little banter!

18 June 2015
2.15am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wigwam said

meanmistermustard said

Is there a John bias?

I could understand why.

I was always John.

But I’ve learnt from this board just how much more I should appreciate Paul……. And from some things I’ve read here that I should be a little more realistic about John. 

Not as far as i am concerned but its been an accusation thrown around a few times when someone argued against Paul being/doing something (see the ‘A Day In The Life ‘ ahhhh’s thread for examples). 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 June 2015
2.42am
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

But that discussion was plain silly, MMM. I’m one of the biggest Paul fans here, and I have never thought anyone other than John did those Aahhhhh’s. The person you’re referring to is not someone I would want to have in my ‘pro-Paul camp’. With friends like that, who needs enemies, you know?

On topic: Until quite recently, I couldn’t really tell the lads’ voices apart, except for the tunes where John or Paul really stand out and of course Ringo’s songs. I can tell John, George, and Paul apart very easily now, but that wasn’t always the case. I loved those songs before I knew who sang them, and my preference hasn’t changed since. As it turned out, many of the songs I liked best were sang by Paul. But I’ll give credit where it’s due. After all: I love Paul, but he wouldn’t have been where he is today without John, George, Ringo, Brian, George M., Stu, Pete, and everyone else involved.

18 June 2015
3.01am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

JPM-Fangirl said
But that discussion was plain silly, MMM. I’m one of the biggest Paul fans here, and I have never thought anyone other than John did those Aahhhhh’s. The person you’re referring to is not someone I would want to have in my ‘pro-Paul camp’. With friends like that, who needs enemies, you know?

Indeed with that example (its the quickest that came to mind) but it doesnt negate that there has been a feeling expressed a handful of times (not all by the same individual) that there is a Paul bias on the forum. I dont agree with it. 

There have also been accusations of us being too heavily pro-Paul. Its all nonsense.

18 June 2015
4.50am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said

Why shouldn’t it be about favourite songs? How else should we rank them? I’m not a musician. I don’t know what makes a song “good” or “bad”, not on a scientific level anyway. All I can assess is whether a song pleases my ears or not. 

For what it’s worth, I did add a point for some songs I’d have ranked lower, when I realised they had Something to make them stand out…

Bravo!!

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

18 June 2015
6.14am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brava!!

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22233, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694