Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
25 July 2015
11.02am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Expert Textpert said
I personally think the following should have been scored higher:

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Can You Take Me Back
Anna (Go To Him)
Good Night

The rest I could care less.

I personally think the following should have been scored higher:

Boys

Slow Down

Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!

Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?

Hold Me Tight

The rest I could care less.

I think my reactions will solely consist of quoting Expert Textpert and tweaking what he says.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Expert Textpert

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

25 July 2015
11.03am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Hold Me Tight ‘ ranked worse than ‘No Reply ‘.

tumblr_mvemcyarmn1rslphyo1_400.gifImage Enlarger

Faith in humanity partly restored.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

25 July 2015
2.44pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

207 (190) Bad Boy 
206 (198) Boys
205 (199) Thank You Girl
=203 (201) Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
=203 (201) Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Yikes! I’m starting to think, for the most part, the voters are against songs that rock. At first glance, I feel many of the songs in the first two groups of results are horribly underrated. Then after thinking about it for a while, I realized every song has to be ranked somewhere and they can’t all be tied for first place. I am stunned that ‘Boys ‘ ranked so poorly. ‘Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby ‘ got a bad placement as well – one of my favorites on the album.  Even though ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzy ‘ gets my toes to tapping, it gets very little love on the Forum. I suspect that may be because it could be shorter. Part of the bad results for some of these may be my fault as well because as a rule, I believe I ranked covers lower than original songs. I wish I hadn’t now. Is it too late to change my votes on the covers?a-hard-days-night-ringo-14  
=200 (202) Ask Me Why – No problem with this ranking. A nice song, but not rocking enough for the first two albums. 
=200 (202) Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand – Not surprising to see the two German songs ranked where they are. I like them, but they are novelties compared to the originals.  
=200 (202) Slow Down – I like this one but understand why others may not.
=197 (206) Can You Take Me Back? – I was surprised to see this listed in the poll in the first place since it is not a track listed on the album. I’m indifferent toward its ranking.
=197 (206) Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! – This medley rocks but I have no problem with the ranking. Paul massacres the lyrics of ‘KC’ and ‘HHH’ is repetitive – no imagination here, just another novelty.
=197 (206) When I Get Home – A rocking deep cut from A Hard Day’s Night that deserves better. I have to keep telling myself “they have to be ranked somewhere, they have to be ranked somewhere, they have to be ranked somewhere.”
196 (207) Sie Liebt Dich – Novelty.
195 (210) Anna (Go to Him) – Arthur Alexander deserves better. 
194 (211) Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?? – Novelty. 
193 (213) PS I Love You – Paul tries so hard to give this song some oomph with his vocal. Nice harmonies and Ringo’s uptempo beat still can’t save it. 
=190 (215) Baby It’s You – What a nice song. I am really surprised by this placement. 
=190 (215) Good Night – I’m not going there again.**   
=190 (215) Hold Me Tight – No surprise here. 

**When I give my opinions on these songs or rankings, admittedly it looks like I am ripping them or perhaps those who voted against them. I’m really not. I simply compare each song individually in my mind to other Beatles songs and let y’all know how I feel about it or its ranking. Remember, my heart is worn on my forehead!! There will never be a doubt how I feel about anything. Know this, too – when I’m listening to The Beatles, I sing just about every song as loud as is appropriate for the setting. Not well, mind you – just loud. I love ’em!

apple01heart

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, ewe2

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 July 2015
3.59pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

@Zig said
=197 (206) Can You Take Me Back? – I was surprised to see this listed in the poll in the first place since it is not a track listed on the album. I’m indifferent toward its ranking.

Nor was Her Majesty  on Abbey Road

abbey-road-back-cover.jpgImage Enlarger

Shouldn’t ignore things just because they don’t make the track-listing…

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

25 July 2015
6.25pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012

Zig said
Baby It’s You  – What a nice song. I am really surprised by this placement. 

Yeah, I guess Baby It’s You deserves better. It is a pleasant tune.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Matt Busby

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

25 July 2015
6.51pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

abbey-road-back-cover.jpgImage Enlarger

As an aside the ghoulish face, (Paul is Dead) shows up really well in this image………

‘When I get Home’ is great and ‘Baby It’s You ‘ …..but this is a tough standard. the Beatles’ set the bar high.

25 July 2015
8.28pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Ron Nasty said

@Zig said

Nor was Her Majesty  on Abbey Road

Shouldn’t ignore things just because they don’t make the track-listing…

Absolutely agree. Just like ‘Train In Vain’ on the Clash’s London Calling album. I didn’t say it didn’t belong – just that it surprised me.

The indifference remains just the same.

Wigwam said

‘When I get Home’ is great and ‘Baby It’s You ‘ …..but this is a tough standard. the Beatles’ set the bar high.

Amen, brotha. They have to be ranked somewhere, they have to be ranked somewhere, they have to be ranked somewhere, etc…

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

25 July 2015
8.42pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby is great George fun. One of my favorites to play on guitar, don’t see why people hate it.

Despite a few positive comments this one just doesn’t work for me, and I like most of George’s songs.

The latest results seem about right. As noted in previous rankings we can’t have every Beatles song in the top 20 no matter how much we want to see them there – they just don’t fit.

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Zig, Wigwam, Matt Busby

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

25 July 2015
8.54pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

One thing is becoming clear that the method of revelation chosen by the Mods allows for plenty of discussion and builds the tension nicely towards an orgasmic conclusion when the top ten explodes all over our screens…….

Sorry got carried away…..A little prematurely perhaps!!

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

trcanberra, Ahhh Girl, Matt Busby, Into the Sky with Diamonds
25 July 2015
9.01pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I see what you did there.a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby

25 July 2015
9.01pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

ahdn_paul_06 The method was chosen by all of us!

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

25 July 2015
9.52pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

With Zig’s permission, I’m going to use his format in reviewing the result sets – obviously all comments are imho – and I didn’t find much issue with these results. We’re into the slag of their worse tunes, the bottom 1/4th or so…I don’t expect many big surprises from here up to 150.

207 (190) Bad Boy – This is unique enough to rank higher…+40.
206 (198) Boys – Poor Ringo! His (apparently) favorite song to sing, and a true Beatles (well, cover 😉 rocker from the early days 🙁 Should be +40.
205 (199) Thank You Girl – about right.
=203 (201) Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby – One of my fave early George tunes – I ranked it higher, but I ranked all the Perkins covers higher.
=203 (201) Dizzy Miss Lizzy – John’s voice is in good form, but the tune just never excited me – I’m ok with it here.
=200 (202) Ask Me Why – One of that group of early, fairly nondescript songs that, while not bad, all deserve to rank in the bottom quartile
=200 (202) Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand – The German versions were a nice gift to their Hamburg fans but are otherwise unremarkable
=200 (202) Slow Down – I would have wanted this higher up, +40
=197 (206) Can You Take Me Back? – Can’t really expect this to be much higher, even though it’s better than most of the other songs in this set 😉
=197 (206) Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! – One of my less fave early George tunes, but I think it was one of his – it’s lucky to be this high. -10.
=197 (206) When I Get Home – about right.
196 (207) Sie Liebt Dich – see Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
195 (210) Anna (Go to Him) – I guess it had to be somewhere below 150…
194 (211) Why Don’t We Do It in the Road? – This song is awesome in so many ways. Should be at least +50 – this fact cannot be disputed a-hard-days-night-ringo-15
193 (213) PS I Love You – I could see this 30-40 spots higher, but I guess finding it this low is no travesty.
=190 (215) Baby It’s You – I rated this song quite high for sentimental reasons – trying to disregard them, it still feels higher than the “nondescript quartile”. +40.
=190 (215) Good Night – Ringo cannot catch a break! Again, should be above 160, +30.
=190 (215) Hold Me Tight – about right

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

25 July 2015
10.15pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

@Matt Busby said
<trim trim> 
=197 (206) Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! – One of my less fave early George tunes, but I think it was one of his – it’s lucky to be this high. -10.
<big snip> 

????????? 

By the way, while I’m here, @Starr Shine? @Ron Nasty How Many People voted? 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

25 July 2015
10.36pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Silly Girl said

@Matt Busby said
<trim trim> 
<big snip> 

????????? 

By the way, while I’m here, @Starr Shine? @Ron Nasty How Many People voted? 

Oops! My mind was still on Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby – sorry about that! Make that one of my less fave early Beatles tunes in general…

I think Ron said it in the first results post – 39 voted, I think it was. Which means even the lowest songs averaged about 4.

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

26 July 2015
2.10am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134

I’m sad Hold Me Tight didn’t do any higher… really like that song!

Good Night wasn’t low enough for me >:(

The following people thank nzbeatlefan for this post:

Necko
26 July 2015
2.53am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Wigwam said
One thing is becoming clear that the method of revelation chosen by the Mods allows for plenty of discussion and builds the tension nicely towards an orgasmic conclusion when the top ten explodes all over our screens…….

The Mods had nothing to do with how @Starr Shine? and I are revealing the results. We laid out a basic timetable that people didn’t like, though it was always dependant on how the results looked when they were locked, so we adjusted it slightly to pacify people until we could see the final results. When we saw the final results, they didn’t fit either of our proposals, and so a new timetable was worked out.

No Mods were involved at any stage. This is all me and AD40.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

trcanberra, Starr Shine?, Matt Busby, Ahhh Girl

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

26 July 2015
2.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

@Matt Busby said

It’s not George. It’s Paul wheeling out his Little Richard impersonation.

Matt Busby, Beatlebug

26 July 2015
3.05am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

@Beatlebug As said above, and in the first post, 39 people voted. That’s roughly double those who took part in Faceo’s poll.

Beatlebug

26 July 2015
3.31am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

nzbeatlefan said
I’m sad Hold Me Tight didn’t do any higher… really like that song!

Good Night wasn’t low enough for me >:(

And the reverse for me 🙂

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Matt Busby

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

26 July 2015
4.39am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Ron Nasty said

Wigwam said

The Mods had nothing to do with how @Starr Shine? and I are revealing the results. We laid out a basic timetable that people didn’t like, though it was always dependant on how the results looked when they were locked, so we adjusted it slightly to pacify people until we could see the final results. When we saw the final results, they didn’t fit either of our proposals, and so a new timetable was worked out.

No Mods were involved at any stage. This is all me and AD40.

I thought….. assumed you were both mods. Well you should be after doing all this……….

Now if you read my post in the light of the misapprehension of my false assumption…….. You’ll see I was flattering you both and praising you to the hilt.

I hope I haven’t offended you.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694