Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
31 August 2015
5.33pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
461sp_Permalink sp_Print

Something very similar (a top 20 and a bottom 20) was my first suggestion back in the “Can We All Agree or Not?” thread.

It wasn’t an overly popular idea.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

31 August 2015
5.37pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
462sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, I didn’t recall that. We can see if minds have changed.

31 August 2015
6.46pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
463sp_Permalink sp_Print

While it might seem a daunting task to rank them all, or even a top 100, what I did to make a top 35 was rank my 10s, then my 9s. It really wasn’t that hard, although I’m sure it would vary (at least a little) daily 😉 Actually I was surprised, because I usually start to overanalyze and it takes forever. If such a poll ever happens, I’ll definitely do it that way.

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

trcanberra

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

31 August 2015
7.05pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
464sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby said
AAAARRRGGH! Will I ever learn? I just spent literally 3 hours composing a long, hopefully insightful post to summarize my feelings about the poll. Was previewing it, hit the wrong key, and poof. It’s not in my cutbuffer, can’t seem to get it back by going back through edits (ctrl-z)…Damn (I’m thinking something much worse!). Not that this is the right place to suggest it, but some sort of auto-backup feature would be a wonderful enhancement.

EDIT: I was upset when I posted this. It really wasn’t that long, but I had revised and revised, cutnpasted, checked facts, referred back to previous posts, etc. And I hope my comment about the auto-backup didn’t sound sarcastic – while it would be a nice feature, what happened was due to my own stupidity and no fault of the forum. With that in mind, and no longer shaking, I’m going to try again – composing in Word, and I’ll cutnpaste it here when in its entirety when it’s finished. You know how it is, I hadn’t started out intending to put such effort into it…

Anyway apologies for the off topic angry-at-myself post, and hopefully here in a little while will appear a relevant, hopefully interesting replacement of the original 🙂

Ouch, I feel the pain. Maybe compose longer posts in a word processor and copy and paste?

Yes SG, I know

stay-on-topic

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Matt Busby

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

31 August 2015
7.08pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
465sp_Permalink sp_Print

Notice what’s included…….Top 50 biggest sellers…..

http://www.officialcharts.com/…..ed__10575/

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Matt Busby
31 August 2015
7.16pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
466sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
Notice what’s included…….Top 50 biggest sellers…..

http://www.officialcharts.com/…..ed__10575/

Aint She Sweet!!

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

31 August 2015
9.27pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979
467sp_Permalink sp_Print

British best sellers no doubt. “Yesterday ” is listed as a 1976 single. In the US, it was released in 1965 and was a mega hit. 

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

1 September 2015
2.36am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134
468sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great idea, @Ahhh Girl 

I’m happy with the top 3. The top 2 was always set in stone and I’m not surprised to see SFF at 1. Here Comes The Sun is a nice surprise, wouldn’t have been shocked to see it in the top 10 but also not shocked if it didn’t make the top 10.

1 September 2015
3.10am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134
469sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went back and analyzed my song list I posted here in 2014 (remember that thread!) and compared the two. I have the top songs that have a serious difference in placing from my list to this canon one, and vice versa. I did not count the additional versions mentioned in the latter poll, instead going for the top version of it so there was 211 songs from each list. My rankings on my own list will be slightly different now but I have stuck with my original list I put up a year ago.

The numbers are the points between my own chart and this chart.

Top 10 songs that did better on this canon poll (therefore, sounds I feel did too well):
1. Girl (133)
2. I Want To Hold Your Hand (125)
3. Sgt. Pepper ‘s Reprise (116)
4. She’s Leaving Home (112)
5. For No One (105)
6. Being for the Benefit or Mr. Kite! (105)
7. Here, There And Everywhere (101)
8. All You Need Is Love (101)
9. I Will (98)
10. Penny Lane (90)

Top 10 songs that did better on my own list (therefore, songs I feel didn’t do well enough):
1. Every Little Thing (135)
2. Long Long Long (124)
3. Savoy Truffle (121)
4. The Night Before (108)
5. Don’t Bother Me (107)
6. I’ll Be Back (98)
7. When I Get Home (91)
8. Kansas City (89)
9. You Can’t Do That (89)
10. If I Needed Someone (88)

The following people thank nzbeatlefan for this post:

trcanberra, Ahhh Girl, Matt Busby
1 September 2015
7.10am
Domino
Bury, U.K.
The Top Ten Club
Members
Forum Posts: 56
470sp_Permalink sp_Print

Into the Sky with Diamonds said
British best sellers no doubt. “Yesterday ” is listed as a 1976 single. In the US, it was released in 1965 and was a mega hit. 

Yes, both Beatles & Elvis list based on U.K Vinyl & digital sales.  Movie Medley selling more than Yesterday WOW!

Elvis only had one million selling U.K single, It’s Now Or Never, which surprises me.

The following people thank Domino for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby
3 September 2015
9.36pm
A Serviceable Villain
Menlove Ave.
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 11
471sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great poll, well done @Ron Nasty and @Starr Shine?. 

Interestingly this poll duplicated my top 3 , and I only voted once. Rounding out my top 5 are Eleanor Rigby and I Am The Walrus

I always have thought that there is no such thing as a bad Beatles song, and I still believe that. Even Wild Honey Pie , Mr Moonlight and Dig It have their merits. Great ones too, IMHO. Throughout my childhood I loved those songs, since surpassed by others. But the Beatles had a magic like no other. So ranking these songs was super difficult for me. 

The following people thank A Serviceable Villain for this post:

trcanberra, Ahhh Girl, Into the Sky with Diamonds, Matt Busby
4 September 2015
12.23pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
472sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking at the list again, I’m struck by “The End ” at #10.

A+ little ending of course for the album and for the Beatles’ career.

But are we really saying that this is the best song McCartney ever wrote for the Beatles???

Better than Eleanor Rigby , I Saw Her Standing There and Penny Lane ? Very much better than Here, There, and Everywhere. Way better than Hey Jude or Yesterday ????

4 September 2015
1.34pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011
473sp_Permalink sp_Print

But are we really saying that this is the best song McCartney ever wrote for the Beatles???

Better than Eleanor Rigby , I Saw Her Standing There and Penny Lane ? Very much better than Here, There, and Everywhere. Way better than Hey Jude or Yesterday ????

Yes, I’m afraid that’s the best old McCartney could do.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

4 September 2015
2.55pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

The others might be better but most of Paul’s material either suffers from overexposure (‘Yesterday ‘, ‘Let It Be ‘) or splits the audience (‘The Long And Winding Road ‘). I’d happily spend the rest of my life not listening to ‘Penny Lane ‘ and i rarely if ever get the urge to hear ‘Eleanor Rigby ‘. Many fans feel that ‘Hey Jude ‘ goes on too long. 

May benefit ‘The End ‘ that its rarely heard outside of the medley yet its got one of the most iconic Beatles lyrics and has solos from all four.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 September 2015
8.02pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
475sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn’t know I was supposed to vote for best – only what I liked?

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

5 September 2015
1.16pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
476sp_Permalink sp_Print

@trcanberra Good question. Going back to the top of this thread it’s not clearly spelled out.

The idea at the start was to rank the songs according to quality (“best”). See https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..ee-or-not/

In other words, if someone came onto the Forum and said, “I don’t know the Beatles; give me their best 10-20 songs” we could say, well, here are their best 10-20 songs according to the super Beatle fans on this forum.

If you go instead by your current favorites, then, as pointed out by mmm, songs that you hear all the time on the radio or in the supermarket will be knocked down, and fun songs that you don’t hear much will float up the rankings. Also, there may be songs that you don’t particular enjoy, but you recognize their value (“Tomorrow Never Knows ” in my case)

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

trcanberra

5 September 2015
1.50pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
477sp_Permalink sp_Print

The best/favorite discussion is a long, on-going one on the forum. At least it is a more civilized discussion than the one over who sang the ahhhs.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

PauliesGirl
5 September 2015
6.40pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
478sp_Permalink sp_Print

@trcanberra Good question. Going back to the top of this thread it’s not clearly spelled out.

The idea at the start was to rank the songs according to quality (“best”). See https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..ee-or-not/

In other words, if someone came onto the Forum and said, “I don’t know the Beatles; give me their best 10-20 songs” we could say, well, here are their best 10-20 songs according to the super Beatle fans on this forum.

If you go instead by your current favorites, then, as pointed out by mmm, songs that you hear all the time on the radio or in the supermarket will be knocked down, and fun songs that you don’t hear much will float up the rankings. Also, there may be songs that you don’t particular enjoy, but you recognize their value (“Tomorrow Never Knows ” in my case)

Played on the radio or in the supermarket doesn’t mean it’s the best. In fact, more mainstream songs by an artist tend to get the most radio play or end up in stores. Also, as fans, I think we should probably hear all the songs more than the average person would, so I don’t think the argument that we are ranking certain songs higher because we hear them less often is valid.

In fact, if we dislike a song after hearing it too much, doesn’t that mean it’s not good after all? The End is certainly a better song than Yesterday . Yesterday has a memorable melody but it’s a bit more like muzak than The End is.

5 September 2015
7.14pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
479sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
The best/favorite discussion is a long, on-going one on the forum. At least it is a more civilized discussion than the one over who sang the ahhhs.

Indeed – but I’m wondering if it affected how we voted here. I voted on what I liked not my perception of the best songs.

5 September 2015
7.29pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
480sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Ahhh Girl said

Indeed – but I’m wondering if it affected how we voted here. I voted on what I liked not my perception of the best songs.

I don’t differentiate between favorite and best. If it’s possible that something could be the best song and also my least favorite, then we would need objective criteria laid out to determine what makes something “best,” and we would all have to agree with the criteria.

Also, that seems like sort of a slippery slope. Like maybe people who didn’t get their favorite songs in the top 10 wanting to argue us into believing their favorites are the best, not ours.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691