Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
27 August 2015
7.44pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
401sp_Permalink sp_Print

What would be the point? Most either wouldn’t care, wouldn’t believe him and/or claim he was trying to rob John of his legacy whilst being an obsessed egotistical control freak. 

We’ve been here before with that conversation.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Wigwam

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 August 2015
8.25pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

meanmistermustard said
What would be the point? Most either wouldn’t care, wouldn’t believe him and/or claim he was trying to rob John of his legacy whilst being an obsessed egotistical control freak. 

We’ve been here before with that conversation.

Well the point would be the imparting of information……Getting the history correct. All historians will draw on many sources for corroboration. But while we have the horse’s mouth still with us……..!!

I believe most on here would care……and are fair enough to want to give credit where it’s due. Look at the conversation over the Ahhhs in ADITL. Whether he’s believed or not, or how it’s interpreted is not in his or anyone’s control. I suspect there would be some accusations of egotism……….But better to go to the Great Composer In The Sky having said you piece don’t you think?

Apologies if this has been discussed before. Perhaps you could point me to that thread. I’d be interested in why this suggestion has previously been summarily dismissed.  

27 August 2015
9.08pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
403sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check this thread, @Wigwam. I think it may be one of the conversations mmm was thinking about.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..ng-credit/

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Wigwam
27 August 2015
11.12pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
404sp_Permalink sp_Print

Having just read thru those 5 pages i can see exactly why MMM and perhaps others from both camps wouldn’t want to go there again……There’s certainly powerful arguments on both sides…..But ultimately leading nowhere.

There was a lot of sense spoken……..But I’m firmly with vectisfabber’s comment mid-way through the thread:

“One of the things which irritates me about this issue is the fact that there seems to be a strong point of view which would prefer Paul to shut up and say nothing, rather than tell us something which gives us more information about the songs we all love.”

After all part of the reason why we’re here is to learn more about ‘what’ and ‘when’ and ‘how’ they did it……

In the context of this thread I was just suggesting that George and John’s relative success in the poll might spur Paul into making more unsubtle asides when it would be better (from my point of view) to ‘put-up’ once and for all ……..and then shut-up.

Win win for me as he’s already tagged as egotistical whatever he does….But he puts his case out clearly. We can make of it what we want.

A nice point that MMM made was that after he dies Paul’s recognition and popularity will soar……..and I’m sure it will.

………..But the arguments that he could have cleared up about who did what will rage on for eternity.

…Still it will sell books.

Thanks Ahh Girl

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Into the Sky with Diamonds, PauliesGirl, Matt Busby
28 August 2015
12.40am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134
405sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great top 3. Two of those are in my top 10 and the Strawberry Fields would be somewhere between 20 & 30 on my list, but it deserves a top 3 position. But surprised to see In My Life so high, it’s a great song and in my top 50 but number 4… possibly a little too high.

Thought the Abbey Road Medley might have cracked the top 3!

Roll on #1, #2 and #3

28 August 2015
3.30am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

@Wigwam, when i said “most either wouldn’t care” i meant elsewhere; there is a lot of ill-feeling among Beatles towards Paul and how they see him coming across as trying to promote himself over all three Beatles. They’ve lost interest in what he says as it makes no difference to what they think or want to hear.

Any interview with Paul where he discusses anything new i’d be interested in – i’m bored with new interviews regurgitating old details/information. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

28 August 2015
6.59am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
407sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
There are only a few dozen songs where he would need to clear up any doubts over his contribution. He should sit down toe-to-toe with Joe.

I’d pay good money to watch @Joe interview Paul. Or maybe Joe could find a way to stream it to us over the internet. I could see all of us huddled around our computers the way people huddled around their radios to hear an FDR or Churchill speech.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, ewe2
28 August 2015
7.44am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
408sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Wigwam said
There are only a few dozen songs where he would need to clear up any doubts over his contribution. He should sit down toe-to-toe with Joe.

I’d pay good money to watch @Joe interview Paul. Or maybe Joe could find a way to stream it to us over the internet. I could see all of us huddled around our computers the way people huddled around their radios to hear an FDR or Churchill speech.

Yes, no point in pursuing this but…….For instance I’d wager Joe…..or even MMM or Nice Mr Nasty with their almost unparalleled knowledge of Beatles’ lore, given the opportunity would ask some searching and intelligent questions…..And despite statements to the contrary would be keen themselves to get to the bottom who did what.

But hey…….This is not the thread to belabour the point……Which I’ve just done I suppose. But I’m stopping now.

Roll on the 30th.

Ahhh Girl
28 August 2015
9.09am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
409sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’d end up asking something off-limits or arguing with one of his answers and getting thrown out. Either that or drooling, unable to ask a question.

Matt Busby

28 August 2015
10.33am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
410sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can someone post the entire list so far so I don’t have to go through this thread and reconstruct it?

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Into the Sky with Diamonds

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

28 August 2015
10.36am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
411sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s in post 1, @Expert Textpert.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Expert Textpert

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

28 August 2015
11.46am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1980
412sp_Permalink sp_Print

When evaluating medical students for a spot in our orthopedic surgery program, we do exactly what’s been done here: everyone on the committee gives a score to every candidate. Then we add up the scores (and send them to Ron Nasty and Annadog40).

Having said that, when we look at the rankings there are often surprises: “Gee how did A end up so far behind B?” Everyone agrees that shouldn’t be so. Someone then pipes up that he doesn’t know why he gave A such a low score; he thinks he might have been put off by A’s hair. So then by consensus, A is moved up in the rankings in a totally subjective unscientific way.

Looking at the list here, do we think that the Top 10 /Top 20 are a fair representation of the Beatles’ very, very best work? [You COULD argue that with this band, the Top 50 would represent their very, very best].

I wonder how many here feel that certain songs belong in the top 20 at the expense of this or that song? (You already guess where I stand on that.) 

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

28 August 2015
5.44pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

“I wonder how many here feel that certain songs belong in the top 20 at the expense of this or that song?”

Ans: ……Everyone….We are all in your boat ITSWD.

That’s not the point of a poll…….having our say and input and voting.

And then when it’s compiled moaning about our personal disappointments…….That’s what polls are for……Create an interest and provoke discussion. 

They provide a list but not/never complete  agreement.

At least our poll made sense…..You could argue Medley’s inclusion and Real Love Free As A Bird ‘s exclusion……..But they were discussed and counted in or out on purpose……..

Rolling Stone mag recently published it 100 Greatest Songwriters…..What a cock-up that was…..Madonna in Sting out……But then to compound it another guy draws together a list of great writers missed completely by Rolling Stone and even he misses out Sting…..George Michael not on either list………George our new hero at Number 65!……The Bee Gees…….95. But Alan Toussaint  included…..Can anyone whistle an Alan Tousainte song??…….And I’ve just noticed no mention for ABBA at all. 

have a look…….Still this list should cheer Paul up…….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/mus…..ngwriters/

sigh butterfly, Into the Sky with Diamonds
28 August 2015
8.00pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
414sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam, you make a good point about the nature of lists and polls. In my case the act of voting forced me to evaluate the reasoning behind choosing one song over another. Initially the Beatles songs were written for dancing. You would play an album at a party and the songs were judged by how many people would get up and dance. The early Beatles loved to ramp-up the exhilaration (I can’t hide, I can’t hide, I CAN’T HIDE!!!) which would really get everybody going. The big bonus with the Beatles was that the slow songs were just as good and gave everyone a natural excuse to hold on to each other. So…when I’m thinking of those early songs it’s hard to judge them correctly because they evoke the memories of youth. Later the songs became more cerebral and were meant for contemplation and paying more thoughtful attention. I don’t remember just a-rocking and a-rolling to I Am The Walrus or A Day In The Life , but I enjoyed them just as much. Some of the later songs I only need to hear a few notes or words and I am sailing right along deep within my mind. As you said, “That’s what polls are for……Create an interest and provoke discussion” indeed!

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Wigwam, Matt Busby

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

28 August 2015
8.21pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

28 August 2015
8.31pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

A “clean” ‘Dear Prudence ‘ is on Rock Band (easily found online); a “clean” ‘ADITL’ is available on the ‘Blue Album ‘. Brilliant for playlists such as these.

Expert Textpert

28 August 2015
8.53pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
417sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

A “clean” ‘Dear Prudence ‘ is on Rock Band (easily found online); a “clean” ‘ADITL’ is available on the ‘Blue Album ‘. Brilliant for playlists such as these.

I don’t do torrents. Having a hard time finding a download link for the Rock Band mixes.

28 August 2015
9.03pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The Rock Band tracks are on youtube. Rip it from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..Kv2sr82GfI

Expert Textpert

28 August 2015
9.49pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
419sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turns out I already had a couple of alternate mixes of Dear Prudence . I just put one of those in.

28 August 2015
10.01pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
420sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know how to rip and put on my Mac songs from youtube?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694