Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
23 July 2015
8.12am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We have liftoff. The bottom of the results feature some unremarkable songs and some surprises.  

220 (136) Wild Honey Pie – No surprise here. The repetitious 2-word lyric leaves me feeling this is the mantra that Maharishi gave Paul. You’re supposed to keep mantras to yourself. 
219 (146) The Run-Out Groove – I’m not surprised by this either as most Beatles fans don’t give it much thought. I rated it higher then average, however, due to it’s “wow” factor. 1) Who else did this in 1967? 2) I’ve read that, before automatic return was standard on record players, this groove could play over and over again until the needle was removed from the record. If that’s true, kudos to The Beatles and George Martin for making that lack of technology work for them. For those reasons, I feel this one was woefully underrated.       
218 (163) Dig It – Aside from two of our nicest Forumpudlians taking their SN’s from this track, John’s humor is the only thing remarkable about it.
217 (167) Mr Moonlight – This song, with its schmaltzy lyrics and cheesy skating rink organ, took a while to grow on me. Looks like it has yet to grow on many others. To be fair, it does sound like it would be more at home on one of my grandfather’s albums – The Mills Brothers, Andrews Sisters, etc… That’s not to say I don’t like those groups. Rather, I couldn’t see The Beatles covering ‘Glow Worm’ or ‘Shortenin’ Bread’ either.
216 (168) Revolution 9 – For most, you either love this or you don’t. I went from “don’t love it” to “kinda dig it”. I’m slowly working my way toward “love it”. It should have fared better in the rankings.
215 (180) A Taste Of Honey – I much prefer Herb Alpert’s instrumental version. Paul’s rendition sounds more like a funeral dirge.
214 (182) Maggie Mae – I like this one because I have a soft spot for uptempo folk songs. It makes me wish they played the whole song on the album. Seeing as how it’s just “filler”, I understand the poor rating.
213 (184) Little Child – I’ll admit they could have chosen a more age-appropriate term of endearment. Still, I like every song on this album. I’ll often play With The Beatles  in the car on my way to work to put me in a great mood.
212 (186) Devil In Her Heart – Another fun song from WTB. I’m stunned it finished so poorly in the rankings.
=210 (187) Act Naturally 
Honey Don’t – I’m very surprised that both of these finished near the bottom. With a clunker like ‘Good Night ‘ to beat up on, these two took a whipping? Not fair. To me, Ringo’s love of country music really came through in these songs as he sounds so enthusiastic.  
=208 (188) Chains – This Goffin & King gem deserves so much better. Shame!!! Double shame!!!!!!
Matchbox – See ‘Act Naturally ‘ / ‘Honey Don’t ‘. 

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Matt Busby, trcanberra, IveJustSeenAFaceo

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

23 July 2015
8.46am
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278

Shame. Shame.

Ringo’s stuff is so low? Why? He sounds so refreshing from time to time. Plus he sings it well.

Why do you hate on poor Ringo? paul-mccartney

Chains so low? What?

Devil In Her Heart ? Unacceptable.

The following people thank StrawberryWalrus for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby, trcanberra
23 July 2015
9.06am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

On a desert island I’m taking “Honey Don’t ,” “Matchbox ,” and “Act Naturally ” any day over “Tomorrow Never Knows ” that I’m guessing will end up in the top 20. 

The following people thank Into the Sky with Diamonds for this post:

Matt Busby, trcanberra

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

23 July 2015
9.07am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

With a clunker like ‘Good Night ‘ to beat up on, these two took a whipping? 

I believe I rated Good Night very highly.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Matt Busby

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

23 July 2015
9.08am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Why is “Why don’t we do it in the road” not on the bottom of the list?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

23 July 2015
9.12am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

Annadog40 said

Maybe because it’s funny….or maybe because some of the Paul fans on here like to imagine things when they hear it.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra, Ahhh Girl, ewe2

23 July 2015
4.51pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

Expert Textpert said

It’s a nice song; I know @HongKongLady likes it a lot.

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

HongKongLady

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

23 July 2015
8.48pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Into the Sky with Diamonds said
On a desert island I’m taking “Honey Don’t ,” “Matchbox ,” and “Act Naturally ” any day over “Tomorrow Never Knows ” that I’m guessing will end up in the top 20. 

Remind me not to get washed up on your island……….Those three to me would make the island feel like a North Korea torture cell…..I’d rather my island was about relaxing and floating up-stream……Than worrying about a match-box hole in swimming trunks….

We are all so different……. But the Beatles one way or another had us all taped.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

23 July 2015
8.50pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

trcanberra said

Expert Textpert said

It’s a nice song; I know @HongKongLady likes it a lot.

I read it’s based on …’True Love’.

Lovely chords.

HongKongLady, trcanberra
24 July 2015
4.48pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Good Night ‘ was written by John as a lullaby for Julian. In that context, it is a sweet song to sing along to with your kids as an audience. I feel it’s a clunker (just my opinion, gang) because I don’t like the arrangement and Ringo’s singing on it is less than stellar – as much as I love him, he is not a crooner by any stretch of the imagination. His singing on ‘Act Naturally ‘, ‘Honey Don’t ‘ and especially ‘Matchbox ‘ is so much better. That’s why I could not understand how they got ranked worse then ‘Good Night ‘ which, by a long shot, is my least favorite Beatles track. That does not mean I can’t understand what others might see in it.

Matt Busby

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

24 July 2015
7.30pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Zig said
Good Night ‘ was written by John as a lullaby for Julian. In that context, it is a sweet song to sing along to with your kids as an audience. I feel it’s a clunker (just my opinion, gang) because I don’t like the arrangement and Ringo’s singing on it is less than stellar – as much as I love him, he is not a crooner by any stretch of the imagination. His singing on ‘Act Naturally ‘, ‘Honey Don’t ‘ and especially ‘Matchbox ‘ is so much better. That’s why I could not understand how they got ranked worse then ‘Good Night ‘ which, by a long shot, is my least favorite Beatles track. That does not mean I can’t understand what others might see in it.

‘True Love’ for those that don’t know because they are so young, (not jealous) is that Bing Crosby song

The first minute of this clip puts me in mind of a couple of BB’s……..

You might want to look away at the end…….serious poinking 

Coming as it does after the 9………and to complete the, ‘we can do music in any fashion’ sub theme of the album……and possibly to assuage the mums and dads….(or anyone that got through 9 without slitting their throats) and to act as an aural smelling salt for a swooned George Martin….. he’s given schmaltz warp-drive and makes the most of it.

Is there a similarity between the two songs?

trcanberra
24 July 2015
7.42pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Now THAT’s a crooner. Sorry, Rings.

trcanberra

24 July 2015
8.22pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Wigwam said

trcanberra said

Expert Textpert said

It’s a nice song; I know hongkonglady likes it a lot.

I read it’s based on …’True Love’.

Lovely chords.

And of course George sings it on 33 1/3

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

25 July 2015
4.34am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Annadog40 said

The reasons I ranked it fairly high (6 maybe?) are…

Paul’s vocals – he bites down hard on it, especially the first line…very simple, very guttural, very primal, making the delivery match the subject matter perfectly. And he repeats the same line over and over but somehow it doesn’t get boring. His range of inflection and expression communicates a lot in those same 8 words repeated again and again.

The subject matter – not to be redundant but it’s primal and paints a picture – i’m a man, you’re a woman, nobody is watching, what should we as mortal humans want to be doing?

Looking back, I suppose it had a fair degree of shock value at the time as well…but not in my family – my parents were quite liberal in their attitudes towards sex, or lovemaking as they preferred to call it. We didn’t treat the song any differently than any other. I don’t remember what the answer was when I asked what “it” was, but they didn’t just duck the question by saying “go for a walk” or something insulting to my 4yo intelligence heh. They probably said it means something like “why don’t we show each other that we love each other” or something similarly hippyish.

“Make love not war” 🙂

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

25 July 2015
4.44am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Wigwam said

‘True Love’ for those that don’t know because they are so young, (not jealous) is that Bing Crosby song

Somewhat off topic, but of interest to classic movie buffs like me…

The movie that clip is from, High Society, was a musical remake of the 1940 film The Philadelphia Story starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart. Cary (Bing in High Society) had given Katherine (Grace) that boat they’re on, named the True Love. In Philadelphia Story, the boat is only shown in model form, but in High Society, the boat shown in the video clip is the actual True Love (which was built in 1926, originally named the Verona, and was renowned as a racing yacht). In both movies the boat (Katherine had the now-famous among sailors line “My, she was yar”) referred to the real life True Love. Oh and the great Cole Porter penned the tune. See this page for more info about the boat. Bing Crosby later owned a different boat, a fishing boat, and named it theTrue Love.

back to your regularly scheduled Beatley programming…stay-on-topic

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

georgiewood, Beatlebug

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

25 July 2015
6.47am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

^ I like both versions 🙂

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Matt Busby

25 July 2015
6.59am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134

My predictions for songs to get knocked out in the next round:

Her Majesty
Slow Down
Good Night
Dizzy Miss Lizzy
– You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
Honey Pie
All Together Now
Flying
Piggies
You Like Me Too Much
– Why Don’t We Do It in the Road

plus a few more

25 July 2015
9.17am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

Time for a new day of results (My opinions under spoiler)

207 (190) Bad Boy
206 (198) Boys
205 (199) Thank You Girl
=203 (201) Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
=203 (201) Dizzy Miss Lizzy
=200 (202) Ask Me Why
=200 (202) Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
=200 (202) Slow Down
=197 (206) Can You Take Me Back?
=197 (206) Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!
=197 (206) When I Get Home
196 (207) Sie Liebt Dich
195 (210) Anna (Go to Him)
194 (211) Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?
193 (213) PS I Love You
=190 (215) Baby It’s You
=190 (215) Good Night
=190 (215) Hold Me Tight

207 (190) Bad Boy
206 (198) Boys – This song should be a lot higher it’s got energy and Ringo sounds great here
205 (199) Thank You Girl
=203 (201) Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby – I feel this song is good where it is
=203 (201) Dizzy Miss Lizzy – People don’t like it’s placement on Help ! I like it more than other forum peeps
=200 (202) Ask Me Why
=200 (202) Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand – Poor German songs, I don’t think they should be this far down
=200 (202) Slow Down
=197 (206) Can You Take Me Back?
=197 (206) Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! – This is a good place for it. It ruins the the first half of Beatles For Sale
=197 (206) When I Get Home
196 (207) Sie Liebt Dich
195 (210) Anna (Go to Him) – This should be lower
194 (211) Why Don’t We Do It in the Road? – Why is this so high?
193 (213) PS I Love You – I like this song. It’s cheesy and I like cheese Pizza
=190 (215) Baby It’s You
=190 (215) Good Night – One of my favorite Ringo songs but now it’s near the bottom! Poor over looked Ringo. I think he needs an appreciation thread
=190 (215) Hold Me Tight – I bet this has to do with MMM campaign

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Shamrock Womlbs, Expert Textpert, Matt Busby

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

25 July 2015
9.35am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members

I personally think the following should have been scored higher:

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Can You Take Me Back
Anna (Go To Him)
Good Night

The rest I could care less.

25 July 2015
10.11am
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278

Anna is a beautiful song and one of my first favorites I heard from Beatles. Shame.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy ? Why is everyone hating it? Great vocals, stupid but effective guitar line. It also marks the end of an era, dammit.

Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby is great George fun. One of my favorites to play on guitar, don’t see why people hate it.

OH C’MON WHY DON’T WE DO IT IN THE ROAD IS AWESOME.

Kansas City isn’t “good”, but it’s okay I guess. Still wish it was bit higher tho.

Baby It’s You ? Oh please, that song is great.

But absolutely unforgivable is Boys . Have you even listened to Anthology version? That’s pure rock’n’roll excitement.

The rest I can agree with. This gets me emotional lol.

The following people thank StrawberryWalrus for this post:

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691