Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The Beatles Bible 2015 Canon Poll - Results & Discussion
9 August 2015
1.44pm
Domino
Bury, U.K.
The Top Ten Club
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
221sp_Permalink sp_Print

Being new to this forum I’d like to ask, how often is this poll done? I’ve been back to page 1 here to get the hang of it. I’ve already spotted one or two of my faves already listed, From Me To You at 115, come on now! what kind of people inhabit this forum LOL. It is always in my top five! 

Seeing as I’m retired these days I check this forum daily to see what you good people have to say on all things Beatle. I am looking forward to the next poll. How do people pick a number one song, there’s that many great ones to choose from.

The following people thank Domino for this post:

trcanberra, Matt Busby
9 August 2015
2.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
222sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, @Domino, and welcome to the forum. Sorry that you missed the opportunity to take part in this poll. As one of the two people who organised this poll, I’ll attempt to answer your questions.

How regular is the poll? That’s difficult to say at this time as this is the first one done in quite this way. There was an earlier poll done using a different method about eighteen months ago. Unfortunately there were some problems with that along the way. When the last results of that were posted a few months ago, Annadog40 and I put our heads together to come up with a new poll in response to forum members hope that there would be a new poll. Hopefully we sorted some of the problems with the earlier poll, and people think we’ve done a reasonable job.

The next planned poll will be at the beginning of next year, however that will be on their non-canon material (Anthology, BBC, Star Club, Sheridan, etc.). This canon poll will be run again (hopefully), but it will be at a time the forum is ready for it. That could well be sometime next year.

How did people choose their number one? They didn’t. We merely asked them to score songs from 1 to 10 (10 being highest). There were no restrictions on how they scored them – as somebody has noted, they scored 58 as 10s, at least one other person didn’t score around the same number anything. The final results are those scores added up.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Domino

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 August 2015
4.13pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979
223sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m pleasantly surprised to see that despite all the trash talking, Yellow Submarine and Michelle made it into the top 100 – same for Lovely Rita and It Won’t Be Long .

I continue to be impressed by the way the ranks are separated by just one point or so.

By the way, i get CONFUSED WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT A SONG SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER.

HIGHER AS IN ‘BETTER’ OR HIGHER AS IN ‘LITERALLY A HIGHER NUMBER (meaning less good)?

Likewise, when someone says “A should have ranked above B” – does ‘above’ simply mean better – or literally above on the list (meaning less good)?

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

9 August 2015
4.24pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
224sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Same here. I never knew when folk say a song should be lower if they mean lower in the chart (nearer the 200’s) or lower down the numbers (towards #1), same as with when they say it should be higher.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 August 2015
4.56pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
225sp_Permalink sp_Print

105 (270) The Word
091 (280) It Won’t Be Long

Two more of my Top 10 have bitten the dust.

Image Enlarger

One saving grace is that 8 of them have made it to the Top 100.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

9 August 2015
5.13pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
226sp_Permalink sp_Print

georgiewood said
Someone, probably @Beatlebug, had recently been discussing If I Needed Someone , which caused it to stick in my head and remind me of what a sweet little song it is.  A prime example of that fertile and creative time that perhaps gets overlooked because of all the excellence surrounding it. It deserved a higher ranking. ahdn_george_05

As noted by SG, it may well have been me. It’s a song I like very much, more than many by the look of the ranking it has here.

I am looking forward to the top 10 with interest, like ET I suspect that there won’t be many there that would be at the top of my list – we shall see.

Still, designed by committee and all that.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

9 August 2015
5.16pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
227sp_Permalink sp_Print

that will be on their non-canon material

With “canon” defined by popular vote rather than any general agreement on what is or isn’t “canon” – as we can’t agree on that one either 🙂

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Zig, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<, Matt Busby

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

10 August 2015
1.59am
Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<
the Netherlands
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1435
228sp_Permalink sp_Print

Re: higher/lower. When I say something ought to be ranked higher (IMHO), I mean it should have a higher score. In my view, the #1 position is the highest position, so when I say something should be higher on the list, I mean closer to #1. Am I wong to assume that’s the way everyone means it?

The following people thank Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^< for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby

Formerly Known As JPM-Fangirl --Paul-Badge.png 2016

'Out There' - 07-06-2015 - Ziggo Dome Amsterdam -- 'One On One' - 12-06-2016 - Pinkpop Festival Landgraaf

10 August 2015
2.20am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
229sp_Permalink sp_Print

Expert Textpert said
A lot of good songs there. I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed by the top 30.

I’m not even gonna alter it this time.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Expert Textpert

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

10 August 2015
5.00am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
230sp_Permalink sp_Print

JPM-Fangirl said
Re: higher/lower. When I say something ought to be ranked higher (IMHO), I mean it should have a higher score. In my view, the #1 position is the highest position, so when I say something should be higher on the list, I mean closer to #1. Am I wong to assume that’s the way everyone means it?

I think almost everybody has used “higher” as an equivalent to “more highly rated” and therefore closer to the toppermost of the poppermost= #1. I have.  

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Zig, Matt Busby

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

10 August 2015
10.12am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
231sp_Permalink sp_Print

georgiewood said

JPM-Fangirl said

I think almost everybody has used “higher” as an equivalent to “more highly rated” and therefore closer to the toppermost of the poppermost= #1. I have.  

Yes, 1.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Zig

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

10 August 2015
4.01pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
232sp_Permalink sp_Print

Expert Textpert said

georgiewood said

JPM-Fangirl said

Yes, 1.

Right – this is a poll, not golf. Highest score means the most points, which equates to number 1.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Matt Busby

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

10 August 2015
6.02pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

Heck, I even consider the German Odeon single “Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand ” & “Sie Leibt Dich” part of my UK canon, since the Beatles actually made the effort to record these in France while on tour.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/g…..eine_hand/

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

10 August 2015
6.41pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Bongo said
Heck, I even consider the German Odeon single “Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand ” & “Sie Leibt Dich” part of my UK canon, since the Beatles actually made the effort to record these in France while on tour.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/g…..eine_hand/

I think they were included in the canon vote…..

Just checked..and rightly they were.

A poser…..Who know what ODEON represents?…….Give you a clue a little statue award uses his name.

10 August 2015
7.05pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916
235sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hih Hitler????? 

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Wigwam

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

10 August 2015
9.03pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
236sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, the German film society, whatever they’re called, call their little gold award statue thingy a Chaplin, and so by that logic ODEON must be German for Charlie Chaplin.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Wigwam, Matt Busby

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 August 2015
11.39pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Hitler and Charlie Chaplin! Thanks for having a go you two.

Apparently Odeon…….Stands for: Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation….A man long dead and his name forgotten…….Except that it’s embedded in an acronym that no one knows………Ironic 

Anyway this is not the same Oscar who gave his name to the Academy award statuettes though….That was someone’s bald uncle.

Talking of Chaplin about 35 metres from the Odeon in The Edgware Rd, where a young Wigwam saw ‘Help ‘ 3 times on the trot…. was the ‘Met’ a music hall where a young Chaplin began his trade.

Actually that’s not such an amazing coincidence when you type it out. 

I’ve lost all respect haven’t I?

11 August 2015
5.38am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
238sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
Hitler and Charlie Chaplin! Thanks for having a go you two.

Apparently Odeon…….Stands for: Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation….A man long dead and his name forgotten…….Except that it’s embedded in an acronym that no one knows………Ironic 

Anyway this is not the same Oscar who gave his name to the Academy award statuettes though….That was someone’s bald uncle.

Talking of Chaplin about 35 metres from the Odeon in The Edgware Rd, where a young Wigwam saw ‘Help ‘ 3 times on the trot…. was the ‘Met’ a music hall where a young Chaplin began his trade.

Actually that’s not such an amazing coincidence when you type it out. 

I’ve lost all respect haven’t I?

I’m afraid you have my friend. The Wikipedia entry for Odeon Cinemas contains this text: “Odeon Cinemas was created in 1928 by Oscar Deutsch. Odeon publicists liked to claim that the name of the cinemas was derived from his motto, “Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation”,[1] but it had been used for cinemas in France and Italy in the 1920s, and the word is actually Ancient Greek.[2]

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Wigwam

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

11 August 2015
6.17am
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members
239sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, into the top 100, and my top 25 are still intact! However, some low numbers are starting to fall…

105 (270) The Word
=103 (271) Glass Onion – In my top 40
Sun King – about right
=100 (272) Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey – A better song than #100
Lovely Rita – It’s no secret I love this one but it only rates in the low 40s for me
Yellow Submarine – about right, but not as good as Monkey, Onion, Sun King , Fixing A Hole , WYWY, Michelle …ok, I guess it should be lower 😉
099 (273) If I Needed Someone – about right
098 (274) Across The Universe [“World Wildlife Fund” version]
=096 (275) Fixing A Hole – I’m surprised it is this high, but it’s in my top 40.
Within You Without You – by the same logic as Yellow Submarine , it should be lower
095 (276) Michelle – could be a bit higher
094 (277) I’m A Loser – could be a bit higher
=092 (278) Getting Better – should be higher
Good Day Sunshine – should be higher
091 (280) It Won’t Be Long – should be higher
090 (281) This Boy – I’m pleased to see it this high, as it’s in my top 40

So 3 of my top 40 songs down at our 100 mark. I guess I can’t complain, but it’s worrisome that they all fell in one result set!

Something interesting – we’re at the “averaged a 7” mark, but a song that earned a 7 from me was in my top 65 – I think I crossed the 100 mark with a 5 rating (which, since I deliberately tried to spread them evenly, would be about right). So when I say a song is in my top 17, it got a 10 – top 35, a 9; top 50, an 8; top 65, a 7. When I say “top 40” I’m subranking – it means “one of the top 5 8s”. I can pick a top 10 from the songs I scored 10 (none have fallen yet *fingers crossed*).

I find it interesting that I already look at my votes and wonder how I could have given a song such a low, or high, score. If we took another poll as soon as this one is concluded, some individual songs would earn as much as a 5-score promotion or demotion, and the groups comprising each score would be significantly different.

Sheesh! The next set of results is due in less than 24 hours! What took me so long?

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

11 August 2015
7.38am
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members
240sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Hi, @Domino, and welcome to the forum.  and people think we’ve done a reasonable job.

So modest! While there were some disputes over how the results should be disseminated, I think the majority of us agree you’ve done a bang-up job :), and you did! (are doing)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  .               

@Domino, I’d like to welcome you too! If you need help with something, just ask! (There are help threads in the Getting Better forum). And get ready to learn – I doubt anyone has ever spent time at here and not learned something new about the Beatles or rock music of some kind 🙂

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Domino

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694