Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
NZBeatlefan's top 100 Beatles songs - A countdown
18 November 2014
12.21pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

ahdn_paul_06a-hard-days-night-paul-9a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 no Piggies !!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

18 November 2014
1.48pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959

Aside from the occasional use of the organ the Beatles never strayed from the 3 guitars and drums line-up when on tour. The Word wouldn’t have been a contender due to the piano and harmonium being central to the song and i think the fuzz bass would also render ‘Think For Yourself ‘ to the pile of never performed live. Aside from the more intricate vocals ‘If I Needed Someone ‘, ‘Paperback Writer ‘ and ‘Nowhere Man ‘ are more straightforward musically – tho i doubt they bothered themselves to rehearse them in the slightest

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

19 November 2014
11.08am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 134

Here we go guys, TOP 5 TIME!!!!

5. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

We enter the top 5 with one of John’s most fascinating pieces of work. Written in India (?) in early 1968 and released on the White Album , this hard rocker has become a cult classic. It’s not very well known outside of hardcore fans, but those fans love it to pieces. This song is one of those “lets see how many fragments we can piece together” moments, a style that Paul would soon adopt with Abbey Road and beyond. The first section is relatively quiet, with some of John’s best lyrics over a finger-picked electric guitar. George gets some great distorted stings in there too. The next section is more raw, and features some of the most obvious drug references in a Beatles song. The riffs become more predominant and Macca’s bass becomes more alive (not to mention Ringo – but we will get there soon). The third section is my favourite. All it features is John yelling “Mother Superior jumped the gun” with the most intense backing the Beatles ever recorded. Man. There’s like 4 different time signatures in that tiny fragment itself! Ringo steals the show there, but then again, all four Beatles are at their peak! The last section is the longest and far more straightforward. It’s a great imitation of 1950’s doo-wop with the slightest amount of humour thrown in.

I can’t really describe this song. My cousin had informed me of how great this song was so I had to hear it. Once I did, I was blown away. At this point I knew the Beatles for hits like All You Need Is Love , I Want To Hold Your Hand and Yesterday . This seemed very unbeatlesque to me, but as I got to know their discography more I realised that this is typical of them: Different. After 1965, how many of their songs sounded the same? Very few. An amazing piece of music indeed.

Next up is most peoples #1, but is my #4.

19 November 2014
11.16am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

My number 1 was your number 27.a-hard-days-night-paul-3 No, i’m not bitter in the slightest.

alice-huff-o.gifImage Enlarger

Must say i am quite excited by the big reveal. You’ve certainly created that @nzbeatlefan.a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

19 November 2014
1.03pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members

meanmistermustard said
My number 1 was your number 27.a-hard-days-night-paul-3 No, i’m not bitter in the slightest.

My number one isn’t on the list yet (Hope it gets number 1)

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

19 November 2014
1.16pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Annadog40 said

meanmistermustard said

There’s no Piggies , @Starr Shine?!a-hard-days-night-george-10

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 November 2014
1.16pm
StrawberryWalrus
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 278

meanmistermustard said

alice-huff-o.gifImage Enlarger

Must say i am quite excited by the big reveal. You’ve certainly created that @nzbeatlefan.a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

My number 1 is number 78 here. Yep.

19 November 2014
1.19pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members

Ron Nasty said

Annadog40 said

meanmistermustard said

There’s no Piggies , Annadog40!a-hard-days-night-george-10

My number 1 is Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

19 November 2014
1.28pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

StrawberryWalrus said

My number 1 is number 78 here. Yep.

#78 is one great song, and from the the same album.stuart-sutcliffe

19 November 2014
10.57pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842

I’m not really sure what my number one is. Probably either A Day In The Life , Rain , or While My Guitar Gently Weeps

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

19 November 2014
11.29pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221

My number 1 is number 32 on this list. I guess that’s cool.

Every Little Thing

20 November 2014
9.24am
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members

So many different number ones!! 

4. A Day In The Life

When I say most peoples, I am referring to the fact this is at the top spot on a lot of polls whether they are public or personal. And there is some great reasoning for that, it’s a brilliant song! A Day In The Life is the final track on Sgt. Pepper ‘s, and the whole album sort of feels like it’s a warm up until this point. At around 5:30, it’s one of their longest recordings and without a doubt one of their most influential. Starting off with a sweet little acoustic riff, the song features some of John’s most interesting lyrics. During the first section, Paul and Ringo show how minimal they can be with their instruments but they also show how technically amazing they can be. After a few verses, we reach the “orgasm of noise” which is essentially an orchestra just playing a crescendo that is not in any sort of key. Imagine being a member of the orchestra, walking into the studio and hearing Paul say “play any note as long as it gets higher and higher!!!”. Cheeky.

After this noise, we get to Paul’s section of the song. It’s quite random and bears no resemblance to the rest of the song. But hey, it works like magic! I really like the lyrics and the bassline to this section, it’s one of my favourite Maccamoments of the Beatles career. After this, we go back to another orgasm of noise and the final section of John and his surreal lyric imagery. Man. The lyrics to this song constantly blow me away. The last point is the most popular – THAT final chord. God it’s beautiful. The production on this is astonishing, it’s a very very complex song and I can imagine George Martin was on the verge of having a breakdown or two during the recording of this song.

It’s hard to stress how important this song is in the history of popular music. Just because it wasn’t a hit single for them it doesn’t mean that it should be forgotten (although it’s universally seen as one of the greatest songs of all time). I’m glad it wasn’t a single though as it’s kept the song from being constantly thrashed on classic rock radio. 

Up next, we have the best love song of all time. Frank Sinatra covered this, and called it the best Lennon-McCartney song ever. But was it by them?

21 November 2014
9.23pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

My number 1 was number 50 on this list.

This list is number 2.

What were you expecting? a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

22 November 2014
12.18pm
Bulldog
The Rhythm Revue
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1512

nzbeatlefan said

62. Old Brown Shoe

One of the Beatles finest B-sides, Old Brown Shoe has slipped through the cracks over time even though it was on 1967-1970. A Harrison number, he played all guitar and bass parts as well as singing it. I don’t like the production on the vocals for this one, it almost sounds like he is singing into a corner…

Funny that you mention that, because he is singing into a corner. From the BB page for the song: “Harrison’s lead vocals were the last to be added, onto track eight, for which he positioned himself in a corner of the studio to give an intimate sound.”

The following people thank Bulldog for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Mr. Kite

If you're lonely (or not!), you can talk to me. .....Hey! Are you a new member on this fine forum and don't know where to go to introduce yourself?
Well, you can do it here! Dig it?

22 November 2014
8.20pm
nzbeatlefan
New Zealand
London Palladium
Members

I think I must have subconsciously known that @Bulldog!

3. Something

For me this is the greatest love song of all time (arguably the next song is a love song of some sorts, but it’s not a I love you sort of song). Written by George in the later part of 1968, the song made it’s appearance on the amazing Abbey Road album before being released as a double A-side single with Come Together . The song opens up with a little drum into and the note intro that makes it’s appearance through out the song. The lyrics and the way that they are sung is amazing. George sings them with great soul and you can tell he really means what he sings. My favourite moment through out the whole songs is that middle eight. Dude, how do you write something like that?! The change in time and tempo is seamless and this shows George was one of the best songwriters at the time.

My second favourite part of the song is the solo. I’ve already mentioned how it’s one of my favourite solos in a different post, but I’m gonna do it again. The way George performs those bends to create some sort of atmosphere is unreal. It’s not the worlds most technically complex solo and it was never trying to be, but it was the most perfect solo you could ever get for this song. Another cool musical thing is the mix of organ and strings. The reverb of the organ almost makes it sound like a mellotron when they’re playing together. How cool is that?

Something has always been one of my favourite Beatles songs. I can’t imagine this song not existing. I doubt George would have had the confidence to do All Things Must Pass if this hadn’t been recorded or released as a single. Because of the acclaim from the public and other band members, George had the confidence to go out there and create one of the best albums of all time. And I thank this song (and Here Comes The Sun /While My Guitar Gently Weeps ). 

Next up I have a song that could easily be #1, but I put it at #2 for a really stupid reason. Anyway, it’s up next and it’s our final song from the White Album !

The following people thank nzbeatlefan for this post:

Bulldog
22 November 2014
8.27pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

nzbeatlefan said

Next up I have a song that could easily be #1, but I put it at #2 for a really stupid reason. Anyway, it’s up next and it’s our final song from the White Album !

Is it Piggies ?

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Starr Shine?, Bulldog, nzbeatlefan, Mr. Kite

22 November 2014
9.19pm
Bulldog
The Rhythm Revue
Candlestick Park
Members

Calling it now – Dear Prudence .

If you're lonely (or not!), you can talk to me. .....Hey! Are you a new member on this fine forum and don't know where to go to introduce yourself?

22 November 2014
9.25pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members

It is so gonna be Revolution 9 !

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Bulldog

22 November 2014
9.26pm
Bulldog
The Rhythm Revue
Candlestick Park
Members

Annadog40 said
It is so gonna be Revolution 9 !

Hmm, forgot about that one. It’s really a toss-up between the last three mentioned at this point.

The following people thank Bulldog for this post:

Starr Shine?

22 November 2014
9.43pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842

If Dear Prudence hasn’t been mentioned yet it’s got to be that

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Bulldog

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5515
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691